What are omnifreaker's HDR KHpark and HDR Kitchen?

odasteinodastein Posts: 606

Going through the basic assets installed with DAZ Studio, I found that I had no clue what a number of them are.

Among them, in the shader presets/omnifreaker/human surface, there are three assets :

Human surface base

HDR KHpark

HDR Kitchen

I've  no clue what they do. I tried to apply them on a primitive surface, and render in both Iray and 3Dlight, and they did nothing. I tried to apply them on a skin surface (since they're in a folder called "human surface") and in 3Dlight, they seem to make the skin very shiny, as if it was wet and reflecting several lights. 

Does anybody know what these "shader presets" are supposed to be used for? 

Post edited by odastein on

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2020
    odastein said:

Going through the basic assets installed with DAZ Studio, I found that I had no clue what a number of them are.

Among them, in the shader presets/omnifreaker/human surface, there are three assets :

Human surface base

HDR KHpark

HDR Kitchen

I've  no clue what they do. I tried to apply them on a primitive surface, and render in both Iray and 3Dlight, and they did nothing. I tried to apply them on a skin surface (since they're in a folder called "human surface") and in 3Dlight, they seem to make the skin very shiny, as if it was wet and reflecting several lights. 

Does anybody know what these "shader presets" are supposed to be used for? 

The HDR presets simply apply the Human surface base with the park/kitchen hdr:s loaded into the environment map slot and reflection mode is set to environment. For true reflections use raytraced reflections and not the environment mode.

ETA: The shader is just a simpler version of the UberSurface, and is for 3DL. I just applied it to a primitive sphere, and it has glossiness set to 100%, which means a very shiny surface. You need to tweak things to make it look like human skin.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • odasteinodastein Posts: 606
    odastein said:
    The HDR presets simply apply the Human surface base with the park/kitchen hdr:s loaded into the environment map slot and reflection mode is set to environment. For true reflections use raytraced reflections and not the environment mode.

ETA: The shader is just a simpler version of the UberSurface, and is for 3DL. I just applied it to a primitive sphere, and it has glossiness set to 100%, which means a very shiny surface. You need to tweak things to make it look like human skin.

Thanks. Ok I think that I understand what they're supposed to be used for, but I don't get the part about park/kitchen being loaded in the environment map slot. What is this "environment slot"? I looked in the environment under "render settings" and the environment tab in the upper right that allows to add a background, but I saw no trace of either a park or a kitchen there. 

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    odastein said:
    odastein said:

Thanks. Ok I think that I understand what they're supposed to be used for, but I don't get the part about park/kitchen being loaded in the environment map slot. What is this "environment slot"? I looked in the environment under "render settings" and the environment tab in the upper right that allows to add a background, but I saw no trace of either a park or a kitchen there. 

In the surface settings, sorry for being unclear. Look under the reflection settings, you choose either environment mode, which kinda wraps the hdr around a virtual dome, or raytraced reflections.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054

I have used both like other HDR files both as iray dome and Carrara IBL backgrounds

are fairly dark and moody

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,442

Actually, you can use them as light presets for UberEnvironment2. There are two presets (amongst many) under Light Presets->omnifreaker->UberEnvironment2.

They can even be used in the Iray Environment maps in Render Settings, but you have to load the .hdr directly from the texture folder (Runtime\Textures\Omnifreaker\Environment) since they were released well before Iray appeared.

odastein said:
    odastein said:

In the surface settings, sorry for being unclear. Look under the reflection settings, you choose either environment mode, which kinda wraps the hdr around a virtual dome, or raytraced reflections.

Thank you. I had no clue that there was a "reflection environment map" setting in surfaces. 

I have used both like other HDR files both as iray dome and Carrara IBL backgrounds

are fairly dark and moody

NorthOf45 said:

Actually, you can use them as light presets for UberEnvironment2. There are two presets (amongst many) under Light Presets->omnifreaker->UberEnvironment2.

They can even be used in the Iray Environment maps in Render Settings, but you have to load the .hdr directly from the texture folder (Runtime\Textures\Omnifreaker\Environment) since they were released well before Iray appeared.

Thanks for these informations as well. I'll try them as HDRIs for Iray. 

And I see that they are in fact also part of the uberenvironment2, indeed.

This makes me assume that if I can use park and kitchen environments as HDRIs, I could as well use the others uberenvironments this way, say "fullmoon" or "dawn".