Roman Architecture - Trajan's Market

Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions

I'm working through a lecture series titled "Understanding Greek and Roman Technology". In the architecture section is a very good lecture about the "most under appreciated building in Rome", Trajan's Market. It is described as "A well-integrated arrangement of shops, multi-story halls, corridors, streets, ramps, stairwells, and terraces, ... (providing) shoppers with easy access, effective illumination, protection from the elements, and splendid views". And "The World's Oldest Shopping Mall". Here in Houston, the big high end shopping mall is The Galleria (pic below), but I prefer the Roman's version. I realize this may not sell too well so modellers may be reluctant, but I think it would be a great addition to a Roman city model.

HoustonGalleria-XMas.jpg
468 x 347 - 92K
Trajans_Market_Reconstruction_Drawing_7b.jpg
420 x 639 - 52K
Trajans_Market_Plan_Elevation_7c.jpg
570 x 567 - 54K
7-MarketsOfTrajan1_Photo.jpg
490 x 483 - 67K

Comments

• SkatingJesusSkatingJesus Posts: 66
    edited December 1969

It would be a very nice (but hard to do) idea!

A work for Stonemason, or Jack Tomalin!

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    edited December 1969

It would be a very nice (but hard to do) idea!

A work for Stonemason, or Jack Tomalin!

Agreed. If anybody actually tried this model, I think watching the Teaching Company's lecture course would be valuable (no, I'm not associated with them, just a long term satisfied customer). Its $60 or $70 (video download or DVD), more info here:

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=1132

The instructor is a Civil Engineering professor from West Point (U.S. Military Academy), and is very good at demonstrating the concepts, using both computer and actual models. The short intro video at the above web page includes two very brief shots of the computer model of Trajan's market, at 0:18 and 1:17. In the actual lecture (Lecture 8), the 3D model is used very extensively to demonstrate the design and construction sequence, and is very detailed.