Iray base shaders not loading

sapatsapat Posts: 1,735

As the above states, none of my Daz Uber shader presets will load. There are  138 uber shaders in the folder and not one of them will work anymore. I need to apply the uber base to a file, and it asks me if I would like to save changes to the current scene before closing it. So I click cancel of course. Other preset shaders I have work fine, but they have a texture file that applies to them.

My files are on my external drive E which is where they've been for as long as I've used iray. They always worked fine til the last few months. the image shows the path where my files are, and not a single one works.

Path: E:\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\content

daz uber uber base load issue 080120.JPG
1078 x 552 - 113K
Post edited by sapat on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580

What is the full path to the shaders?  Can you post a screenshot of your Content Directory Manager in DS?

If you right-click on the Uber base and choose "Merge" does it work correctly?

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735

E:\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Shader Presets\Iray\DAZ Uber

No, right click to merge with scene gives me an error that it can't find the shader

Here's what I think is the content directory manager

ds content directory manager.JPG
    884 x 579 - 80K
  • Please expand the entries for Daz Studio Formats in the Content Directory Manager.

edited August 2020

Please expand the entries for Daz Studio Formats in the Content Directory Manager.

Is this what you mean? I have 2  content directories:
    E:\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library
    E:\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\content

The one that goes directly into My Library is mostly thousands of files that we used to get as exe.
    The one that goes to \content is where I started letting new zips extract to a few yrs ago.

So yes, that means DS must know that I have 2 different content libraries.  Why would they suddenly balk and refuse to apply after working fine since about DS ver 4.9+?

I will take any help you can give me (knowing that I have no clue to inner workings of how ds works behind the curtain) So pls if you can offer any help.....

ds content directory manager categories expanded.JPG
    707 x 551 - 40K
    Post edited by sapat on
  • Well, you shouldn't have nested content diectories like that (both /My Library and /My Library/Content) as it is likely to cause issues in the long run. It may well be the root of your issue now, though it's hard to be sure. Try moving the Content folder to E:\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\, so that it sits alongside the My Library folder instead of in it, and adjust ypur paths in DS and DIM to match.

edited August 2020

Well, you shouldn't have nested content diectories like that (both /My Library and /My Library/Content) as it is likely to cause issues in the long run. It may well be the root of your issue now, though it's hard to be sure. Try moving the Content folder to E:\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\, so that it sits alongside the My Library folder instead of in it, and adjust ypur paths in DS and DIM to match.

I'll change my dim to recognize E:\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\ right now. That's easy. The other thing (my library/content) is going to be a nightmare. I'm checking the size of my content folder and it's going to take a while. I have it on an 8tb drive, and that drive space is down to 3.62tb. So yeah, gonna take weeks  to move it and not overwrite things I reckon.  Will post back once it's done and I get things sorted out. Hold down the fort!

Post edited by sapat on
  • sapat said:

Well, you shouldn't have nested content diectories like that (both /My Library and /My Library/Content) as it is likely to cause issues in the long run. It may well be the root of your issue now, though it's hard to be sure. Try moving the Content folder to E:\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\, so that it sits alongside the My Library folder instead of in it, and adjust ypur paths in DS and DIM to match.

I'll change my dim to recognize E:\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\ right now. That's easy. The other thing (my library/content) is going to be a nightmare. I'm checking the size of my content folder and it's going to take a while. I have it on an 8tb drive, and that drive space is down to 3.62tb. So yeah, gonna take weeks  to move it and not overwrite things I reckon.  Will post back once it's done and I get things sorted out. Hold down the fort!

Moving the folder should be quick, it doesn't actuially need to touch the files to do it.

sapat said:

Moving the folder should be quick, it doesn't actuially need to touch the files to do it.

E:\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Shader Presets\Iray\DAZ Uber already exists in the default extration hierarchy.  So if I just move/drag the 'Shader Presets' folder from the
     '
    /My Library/Content' to the proper default shader preset folder in 'My Library', I let it overwrite the existing files? Then I can delete the \content uber folder?  If that's the case, how will ds react?  Will it know that the only uber shaders that exist now are in the proper folder?  (sorry I'm daft, just not techie)

• sapat said:
    sapat said:

E:\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Shader Presets\Iray\DAZ Uber already exists in the default extration hierarchy.  So if I just move/drag the 'Shader Presets' folder from the
     '
    /My Library/Content' to the proper default shader preset folder in 'My Library', I let it overwrite the existing files? Then I can delete the \content uber folder?  If that's the case, how will ds react?  Will it know that the only uber shaders that exist now are in the proper folder?  (sorry I'm daft, just not techie)

So the files are in both content directories?

sapat said:
    sapat said:

'

So the files are in both content directories?

Yes.

• Try uninstalling that product, then manually delete the left-overs from the other set of files, then reinstall to the My Library folder

Try uninstalling that product, then manually delete the left-overs from the other set of files, then reinstall to the My Library folder

Sorry Richard....which product am I supposed to uninstall? I don't understand since the iray uber shader presets are installed with ds.

• sapat said:

Try uninstalling that product, then manually delete the left-overs from the other set of files, then reinstall to the My Library folder

Sorry Richard....which product am I supposed to uninstall? I don't understand since the iray uber shader presets are installed with ds.

No, they are installed (now) by the Default Resoruces package - they were, in the past, part of the base application as I recall.

I have the default resources zip on my hard drive.  I don't delete things in case I have to roll back.

Also, my PosegreSQL CMS has mostly dates from 2014. A few from 2018. Is there a more current pack?  Is there a specific location where that's supposed to be for DS to find it?

• Which, PostgrSQL or the Default resoruces? Either way there haven't been major changes for most of them.

• I was having this problem a moment ago after Installing Daz to my new laptop. Everythings been working fine on my PC for years so I assumed it would all be the same.

After installing Daz and Default Resources to my new laptop, I opened Daz, created a Sphere and tried applying a default shader from DS Defaults (located in shader presets) by double clicking the material.

The same thing happened, I get asked "Would you like to save changes to the scene before closing it?" I then tried the Iray Uber Base Material, I got the same message, after I select No, It then tells me that the DUF file does not exist.

I right click on the shader and select Browse to Location, the DUF files are definitely in there.

After some fooling around I realised I could right click on the desired material, select Merge into Scene and.... It works. No Save message pops up. And the material apperars on the selected object.

However, It would be nice to go back to the Double Clicking method.

I right click on Iray Uber Base and Browse to Location again, I rename the file (!Iray Uber Base) to (!Iray Uber Base.duf) along with the icon for the file (same name)

Now double clicking the material seems to work, it finds the duf file.

A slight pain in the butt having to rename all of these default shaders but yes, that is how i fixed it.

A side note, I also installed G8 Male & Female Starter Essentials around the same time. These packs worked straight away. The figures loaded up without hassle. So I struggle to believe the Shader issue was an installation error.

A flaw in the Default Resources pack maybe? Either way, if you have this problem, I hope my message helps you.