Making an Object in Daz Studio

So I made this string light set and would like to make it an object or something that I can move around as a whole set.  When I originally made it  I used instances and placed everything by hand.  When I try to create a group so that I can move everything together it makes everything come apart. I have InstaEdit and Instances to Objects if need be.  I do have Blender but know very little about it.

Image1.jpg
1920 x 1200 - 573K

Comments

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,300

yikes! It would seem that just grouping them should cement them together.

I have had problems with groups lately that I never noticed before.

It is quite often it happens I unparent items and they disappear or I ungroup a figure and it changes its pose.

Maybe try putting the group inside a second group and then try to group them all together.

Or group each group with an item like a sphere and hide the sphere.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

So I ended up saving out just the lights as a scene subset.  I was then able to move the pivot point of the original main group to be able to rotate the whole set.  I tried several different things and its functional at least but it would have been nice to have a standard working object instead of all the pieces.  I tried several things but the scene subset was the only one I was able to get working.  I really need to learn Blender lol.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054

exporting the lot after running instances to objects as an obj then reimporting that should create one prop you could rig

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

Thats what I was thinking, might be next on the agenda if I feel like messing with it more.  The rigging part and then would I have to uv map the whole thing then?  I will have to play to see what I can come up with.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054
    Daventaki said:

Thats what I was thinking, might be next on the agenda if I feel like messing with it more.  The rigging part and then would I have to uv map the whole thing then?  I will have to play to see what I can come up with.

it will honour the UV's, surfaces and object groupings you have in D|S on the original 

because of that you can use the legacy tools too to create a heirarchy