Studi not detecting items installed with DIM

I have just done a full clean install of my OS and studio, but Studio is not showing multiple items installed by DIM.  Reinstalling them through DIM does not help, neither does a full database reset.  does anyone know how to fix this?  I prefer not to use connect at all.  Additionally, there ar multiple items that are showing an error icon on their entry and do not even have the option of installing hrough connect.

Capture.JPG
855 x 822 - 127K

Comments

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,135

I have just done a full clean install of my OS and studio, but Studio is not showing multiple items installed by DIM.  Reinstalling them through DIM does not help, and a full database reset just made things worse.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  I prefer not to use connect at all if possible.  Additionally, there are multiple items that are showing an error icon on their entry and do not even have the option of installing through connect, any ideas on how to fix that? 

Capture.JPG
    855 x 822 - 127K
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303

Have you shown Daz Studio where to find those installed items (making sure that the place they are installed at is listed under Content Library Directories)?

Have you shown Daz Studio where to find those installed items (making sure that the place they are installed at is listed under Content Library Directories)?

yeah, that was the first thing I checked,  Everything from DIM is installed in one library, it's totally random what Studio will and will not see.  But it was all installed through DIM to the same library, and Studio and DIM are both pointed to the same place for the library and the CMS database

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,879

I'm pretty sure that everything you can't find under Smart Content can be found in Content Library.

Taoz said:

I'm pretty sure that everything you can't find under Smart Content can be found in Content Library.

The entry for it in products in content library also says it's not installed.  If I drill down into the actual library directory, the files are there, which I expected since it was installed by DIM.  The problem is Studio will not register that the products are installed, and thus smart content will not work.  For me, Smart Content is one of the biggest advantages of buying through the Daz Storefront, and I need to get it back working for all of the content it is available for. 

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,879
    edited August 2020
    dragotx said:
    Taoz said:

The entry for it in products in content library also says it's not installed.  If I drill down into the actual library directory, the files are there, which I expected since it was installed by DIM.  The problem is Studio will not register that the products are installed, and thus smart content will not work.  For me, Smart Content is one of the biggest advantages of buying through the Daz Storefront, and I need to get it back working for all of the content it is available for. 

Strange, I've never seen a product installed by DIM not showing up in Content Library.  Manually installed or non DAZ products also show up in Content Library which means that anything installed there anyhow should show up.  Smart Content however is a different story in that respect.

Post edited by Taoz on
    Taoz said:
    dragotx said:
    Taoz said:

Strange, I've never seen a product installed by DIM not showing up in Content Library.  Manually installed or non DAZ products also show up in Content Library which means that anything installed there anyhow should show up.  Smart Content however is a different story in that respect.

I've seen it happen occasionally, but never more than one or two at a time, and uninstall/reinstalling them through DIM has always fixed them in the past.  This time it's a couple hundred items, and reinstalling them isn't helping.

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

Did you delete the database folder when you did the reinstall?

• Merged threads, please don't double-post

edited August 2020

Merged threads, please don't double-post

I posted in the Commons after it sat for hours in the tech support thread with absolutely no response and virtually no views.

Did you delete the database folder when you did the reinstall?

Other than the complete OS wipe, I have not deleted the database folder, it took a couple of days to install everything, I was hoping not to have to go through that again.
    Post edited by dragotx on
  • kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

For smart content to find stuff it has to be installed through DIM or Daz central so the database knows where it is. I'm pretty sure that installing a new instance of DS does not reuse an existing database so that is likely part of your issue, along with things like existing manifest files etc.

To do a full wipe and reinstall you really have to get rid of everything.

For smart content to find stuff it has to be installed through DIM or Daz central so the database knows where it is. I'm pretty sure that installing a new instance of DS does not reuse an existing database so that is likely part of your issue, along with things like existing manifest files etc.

To do a full wipe and reinstall you really have to get rid of everything.

I did a full wipe on the entire drive, reloaded the OS, then installed a clean OS and Clean Studio.  There has not been a Studio reinstall after that, this is the only Studio installation on this current build.  No pre-existing database or manifest files were used, everything was downloaded and installed new

• hookflashhookflash Posts: 167

Did you try manually re-importing all metadata? I've been having to do that every time I install something through DIM. DIM has been giving me grief for the past two releases.

hookflash said:

Did you try manually re-importing all metadata? I've been having to do that every time I install something through DIM. DIM has been giving me grief for the past two releases.

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried. It's done this before, but never with this many items at once, and normally just removing the offending asset and reinstalling it takes care of the issue. It's just not working this time.
    dragotx said:
    hookflash said:

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried. It's done this before, but never with this many items at once, and normally just removing the offending asset and reinstalling it takes care of the issue. It's just not working this time.

Hmm, I just noticed that I'm having the same issue with one of my purchases ("Nerdy Guy Hair for G3M"); it shows up in Smart Content, but it has that notepad icon in the top right (like in your pics) and says it isn't installed. And re-importing metadata doesn't solve the problem for me either. Pretty annoying...

hookflash said:
    dragotx said:

Hmm, I just noticed that I'm having the same issue with one of my purchases ("Nerdy Guy Hair for G3M"); it shows up in Smart Content, but it has that notepad icon in the top right (like in your pics) and says it isn't installed. And re-importing metadata doesn't solve the problem for me either. Pretty annoying...

yeah, it's rather irksome.  And in my case, it includes most of the primary g8 morphs. 

• The "notepad icon" indicates user data, in theory, as opposed to "vendor data" from the Daz (or other) metadata.

The "notepad icon" indicates user data, in theory, as opposed to "vendor data" from the Daz (or other) metadata.

Any idea why this would be happening when a product is installed from scratch via DIM? I never customize metadata, so I'm not sure where the "user data" is coming from.

Yeah, none of the products that have that icon have any user data applied, they were downloaded and installed through DIM, completely untouched by me after that
  • Completely clean, no old (or rstored back-up) database or user data?

Completely clean, no old (or rstored back-up) database or user data?

I did add a library for the directory that I install 3rd party content into, but there is no database or anything like that in it, it's just the assets manually installed from the other storefronts.  For the actual daz library set up for DIM, it was a brand new empty directory when I had DIM install everything into it.

• Content wouldn't be an issue, metadata might be.

Content wouldn't be an issue, metadata might be.

yeah, but there was no metadata at all on the system until DIM installed the assets, so there wasn't anything to mess with it.  It really sounds to  me like there's something wrong with the database

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,328

Just casting a fresh eye over this - in your first post your screenshot shows you have the "Available" tab selected in your Smart Content, not the "Installed" one. What do you see if you select "Installed"?

MelanieL said:

Just casting a fresh eye over this - in your first post your screenshot shows you have the "Available" tab selected in your Smart Content, not the "Installed" one. What do you see if you select "Installed"?

In installed I see most of my purchased assets, they installed fine, and everything I've tested that shows up is functioning normally.  It appears to just be the smart content entries for a bunch of random items that didn't activate correctly

edited August 2020

Ooooooh.  It looks like there was some major OneDrive tomfoolery on that machine when I reloaded the OS, it decided to move all of the user document folders up into the cloud, and that included the CMS database directory.  I'm going to delete the database directory completely and try rebuilding it in a new location to see if that helps.

*Update:  Nope, that didn't help

Post edited by dragotx on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,900

I have the same issue, and it's very intermittent. Smart Content will randomly stop recognizing DIM-installed content, and though the problem eventually resolves itself, I haven't found a way to fix it.

Gordig said:

I have the same issue, and it's very intermittent. Smart Content will randomly stop recognizing DIM-installed content, and though the problem eventually resolves itself, I haven't found a way to fix it.

I've got a support ticket open, once it works it's way through the queue if we are able to resolve it I'll make sure and post how here
    dragotx said:
    Gordig said:

I've got a support ticket open, once it works it's way through the queue if we are able to resolve it I'll make sure and post how here

That would be great, thanks!

hookflash said:
    dragotx said:
    Gordig said:

That would be great, thanks!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but after 11 days with no activity on my ticket at all I gave up and nuked the Studio install completely and reloaded.  Once it finished everything, there were still around 40 items that had been installed but Smart Content would not recognize, so I bit the bullet and installed those items with Connect.  Ticket is at 15 days now, still with 0 activity on it.