DazStudio 4.12.1 Not Using GPU for Rendering

I have a GeForce GTX 960M, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU with 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. GeForce driver is current 398.36. GPU tested with DXDiag and no problems noted.

Attempting to do an Iray render with just GPU selected under Render Settings / Advanced / Hardware the render last under 3 seconds and a null render produced. If CPU & GPU selected render is performed with 100% CPU and 0% GPU.

Anyone have an idea how to get the GPU to work.

Thanks for your time,

Tom

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,936
    edited July 2020

Your graphics driver is way too old. Update it.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5534391/#Comment_5534391

Post edited by barbult on
  • tomsfo1tomsfo1 Posts: 86

Thanks for your response. Nvidia is teling me it is current. I guess I must conclude the GTX 960M is too old and insufficient.

Have a good day. 

Tom

Nvidia Driver Update.PNG
    1489 x 404 - 84K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,936
    edited July 2020

That is surprising. This page lists an Nvidia driver version 451.67 - WHQL as having support for GeForce GTX 960M, under the heading of GEFORCE 900M SERIES (NOTEBOOKS).  Before installing, Nvidia recommends 1) checking with notebook OEM for certified driver updates 2) backup you system (they have a link with instructions). I have no idea whether this driver would work in your computer or not. You'll have to investigate and decide whether to try it.

Post edited by barbult on
  • tomsfo1tomsfo1 Posts: 86

Thanks again for your advice. I appreciate it.

Tom

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@tomsfo1

Driver 398.36 was too old for the current version of Studio. Your biggest problem is the that the VRAM on your 960M is too small to render almost any scene beyond a single character in the Current studio. Maybe not even that since Win 10 will sequester around 1 GB or more of your VRAM. For example, I am running Win 10 w/ a RTX 2080 Super (8GB VRAM) and 64GB CPU Ram. I have Chrome running with one tab and my VRAM usage is 964MB (4K Monitor).