DSON phooey!

edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

I am having a terrible time using almost all DSON products in both Poser Pro 2012 and Poser Pro 2014.

The products I have been trying to get to work are DA Old Oak Tree, Dragon 3 and its morphs, and the Medieval Promenade (FirstBastion).
Sometimes they work. Sometimes they partly work. Sometimes they don't work at all. And sometimes they crash Poser.

I'm wondering how many Poser users out there are having the same extremely disappointing experience with DSON stuff as I am.

I'm going to copy a long set of things I did this evening, that most anybody will not have the patience to read, but I'll do it anyway.:

I am on a Mac Pro running OS 10.9. 64 bit.
Currently I am using both Poser Pro 2012 and Poser Pro 2014.

I have spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours on products
from DAZ and other graphic sites and they always work.
Unless they require the use of the DSON importer, in which case they
usually don’t work or don’t work consistently.

Most recently I bought the Dragon 3, installed it, and it didn’t work.
It would put up this message:
“Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/Shared/ Lauren's Song Folder/Downloads Lauren's Song/runtime/Libraries/Character/Animals/Fantasy/Dragons/DAZ Dragon 3/DAZ Dragon 3 Base.py", line 1, in
import dson.dzdsonimporter
ImportError: No module named dson.dzdsonimporter”

Crissie told me I had to have the Poser Pro 2012 and 2014 folders in a folder “Smith Micro”, which I never had before and everything else had worked just fine. When I made that folder and put the them into it. Eureka! it worked and I was able to put the Dragon into scenes and pose him. Then I bought the “DAZ Dragon 3 Textures” 3 days ago … and they worked, and yesterday I bought the DAZ Dragon 3 Morphs, and they worked.
I made a several scenes with the Dragon posed in his “walking” pose and in the different colors of the Texture set I bought. I was very pleased. I made a scene with him and another figure in it and it worked fine. [Call it Scene A]… until I closed it to work on another scene.
When I reopened it the Dragon was in a zero position with the
texture still on it but the pose and morphs removed. There was a dotted line version of the Dragon in the position I had it in before, with the horns on, etc. I thought ‘Oh no, here we go again.’
But when I selected the Dragon it popped into the position of the dotted line figure with the morphs restored. So I thought ‘Well, that’s weird but I guess that’s the way it works.” Also there was a morphs thing to check. I think it was in the scripts menu, but I don’t remember now, and it’s not there today.
Today when I started a new scene and clicked to add the Dragon 3 I got this message again
“Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/Shared/ Lauren's Song Folder/Downloads Lauren's Song/runtime/Libraries/Character/Animals/Fantasy/Dragons/DAZ Dragon 3/DAZ Dragon 3 Base.py", line 1, in
ImportError: No module named dson.dzdsonimporter”

and it wouldn’t load in either Poser Pro 2012 or Poser Pro 2014

When I try to load the wingless Dragon 3 I get”

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/Shared/ Lauren's Song Folder/Downloads Lauren's Song/runtime/Libraries/Character/Animals/Fantasy/Dragons/DAZ Dragon 3/Anatomy/DAZ Dragon 3 Wingless.py", line 1, in
File "/Applications/Poser Pro 2012/Runtime/Python/addons/dson/__init__.py", line 4, in
ImportError: No module named dzdsonimporter

and when I open the scene referred to above, it does the same as
reported above [Scene A], only this time there was no way I could get the zeroed dragon to pop into the dotted line version.

OK. I tried loading the dragon in a new scene, and loading the scene with the dragon in it. No luck.
I was quitting each application before starting the other one.
After doing this a couple of times, I was finally able to load the default Dragon 3. Hooray. I closed the scene and opened Scene A in Poser Pro 2014. It opened with the dragon in zero position BUT this time in the Scripts Menu the DSON Support Menu was present instead of absent, but choosing “transfer active morphs” did nothing. Neither did the “SubDivision” things do anything that I could tell.
In the “Importer Preferences” window I clicked to clear the cache and changed the “Writable Runtime Folder” to

“/Users/Shared/ Lauren's Song Folder/Downloads Lauren's Song” which is where I do all my work.

Then I closed the scene and reopened it. And it worked.

So I quit Poser Pro 2014 and opened Poser Pro 2012.
getting again the message at the time of opening:

An errror occurred importing addon dson :
ERROR: No module named dzdsonimporter

Oh, well. I dismissed it and went on:
There was no DSON Support Menu loaded.
tried to load Dragon 3,
got
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/Poser Pro 2012/Runtime/Python/addons/dson/__init__.py", line 4, in
ImportError: No module named dzdsonimporter

Opening xxxx got message
“The file has a newer version number than expected. Poser will attempt to read it anyway”

[I was getting that earlier too]

Click OK.
Opening SceneA. It showed it as usual, with the Dragon up in the air and hornless for a second or two, then it
crashed Poser.

that’s what DA Old Oak Tree and Medieval Promenade (FirstBastion) used to do. Medieval Promenade is in Scene A.

Reopened Poser Pro 2012
getting the message as I did:

I dismissed it and opened a totally different scene. One that had nothing to do with DSON. It worked fine. But there was no DSON Support in the Scripts Menu.
Opened a new scene. tried to load Dragon 3.
Got the blah, blah, blah ImportError: No module named dzdsonimporter
message.
Loads, as usual, “Figure 1” with nothing but “GoalCenterofMass”
Deleted Figure 1.
Opened Gold Dragon 3 got the

“The file has a newer version number than expected. Poser will attempt to read it anyway”

and the scene opened with the Gold Dragon in zero position and the Walking Pose in dotted line outline. Still no DSON Support in the Script Menu.
I quit Poser Pro 2012.

Reopened Poser Pro 2014
Opened Gold Dragon (a scene I made yesterday) and it worked. It opened quickly, and he was Gold and in the walking pose.

Opened SceneA and got the long Importing DSON data screen
with the dragon up in the air hornless and the dotted line one posed on the ground. When the importing data screen finished after about 2 minutes the dragon was still in the air, hornless, and in zero position.
DSON Support is present but doesn’t do anything. Cleared the cache again.
Texture is green but the Morphs aren’t working on the green one in the air.
They work on the dotted line version on the ground. Same for moving body parts. Works on the dotted line figure not the green one in the air.

I looked in Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2012. there is a DSON folder there.
Smith Micro\Poser Pro\DSON\auto_adapted\content_files
and \data
In the content files there are a bunch of crazy named folders but none of them have Dragon 3 cr2s in them.
In the data file there are folders, including DAZ 3D that contains folders for Aldora Hair, Duke Hair, and Journeyer Scout, but none for Dragon 3

I looked in Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2014 the one that worked sort of,
and there was no longer a DSON folder there! I had one in there yesterday!
But this is the application that is working. The DSON folder is in the folder with the application that it doesn’t work in.
DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.1.3.50_Mac64.app is in the 2014 folder. I ran it yesterday.
Run it again now: It asked if I wanted to delete the previously installed so I clicked yes, and it said it installed it. (I instructed it to install into the Poser Pro 2014 folder) but no DSON folder appeared in the Poser Pro 2014 folder.

Opened Red Dragon 3. Fairly long Importing and the dotted line thing.
DSON support present in Script Menu but does nothing. Doesn’t have morphs.

Closed Poser Pro 2014.
Reopened Poser Pro 2014. Didn’t get any messages, so it might work.
Opened Scene A and it worked PARTLY. It does have a green texture, and is posed in the “Telling-Stories” pose, slightly modified. BUT morphs are not working (no horns, muscular, etc morphs work though the dials are present and dialed to where I originally had them ) “Transfer Active Morphs” did nothing.

Saved it as Scene A
!Lauren's Song Characters\Dragons\Dragon 3\Scene A.pz3
(instead of what it was: “MP with Boodle and Green Dragon3.pz3” in the Buildings/First Bastion folder )

So what to make of all this? That if I’m lucky enough to get it to work once in a scene I better be sure the scene is perfect before I quit for the day, and that all renders I might ever want have been rendered and saved, because I will probably never be able to get it back again?

Comments

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,794
    edited December 1969

Did you install the DSON importer to both PP2012 and 2014?

• edited December 1969

Hi WandW.
    Thanks for replying. You asked if the DSON Importer was installed in both the PP2012 and PP2014 folders.

Yes, I guess ...

in my Applications/Smith Micro/Poser Pro 2012/ there is "DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.1.1.17_Mac64.app" and a DSON folder that contains a folder "auto_adapted" that contains two folders: "content_files" and "data". I don't know how either of those folders got there, but none of the documents in them have a cr2 for the Dragon 3. They have cr2s for other products in the content folder and obj files in the data folder.

In my Applications/Smith Micro/Poser Pro 2014/ there is a "DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.1.3.50_Mac64.app", but no DSON folder.

When I double click on the app it wants to reinstall the DSON Importer, and asks if I want to deinstall the version already there. I have done that and directed it to install in the PP2012 folder and then did the same thing installing it into the PP2014 folder.

Today when I open PP 2012 I get this message:

and there is no DSON Support menu.

When I open PP2014 I don't get the above message , but a screen comes on saying it is importing DSON things that takes about 2 minutes to finish. Then there is a DSON support menu ... that doesn't seem to do anything.
    Opening SceneA provides the same thing: A green textured dragon with no additional morphs floating up in a zero position and a dotted line outline of the dragon posed in a "Telling a Story" pose, without morphs though morph dials are present and set ... and don't do anything when changed them (i.e. horns, muscularity, Dragon Head 1, etc) ... but the dotted outline figure responds to dialing changes in body parts. I can move his arms and legs and wings, etc.

Have you used the DAZ Dragon 3?
    Thanks for responding

Pat Jarvis (Now I'm going to fill out stuff for a picture and bio, etc)

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128
    edited December 1969

I did this quick render in Poser Pro 2014 with the Dragon 3... he actually seems to load faster than the human characters. I have a windows 7 64bit computer circa 2009 and I can usually load the DSON figures but some do take time.... and sometimes Poser just slows down to a crawl and other times it works reasonalbly well. I have all my DAZ Genesis content and my Poser companion files all in the default My DAZ 3D Library using DIM to install and then you just define that runtime to the Poser Library.

Dragon_flying.jpg
    900 x 753 - 477K
  • edited December 1969

Hi Jason Mr Poser,
    I have all my Genesis content in my Users\Shared\My DAZ 3D Library folder and the runtime is in my Poser Library.
    But I have been loading the Dragon from its cr2 my Lauren's Song Dowloads runtime folder.
    When I looked in my My DAZ 3D Library folder there wasn't a Dragon 3 figure there.
    I'll go back and get one in there.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

DSON has to be installed to the folder where your Poser.exe lives ... Standard would be C:\programs\...

In your case you have to install it to both, PP2012 and PP2014.

Make sure you have the newest version of DSON and all SRs for the Poserpros
    http://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files/#prod_14897
    http://poser.smithmicro.com/pro2014-updates.html
    http://poser.smithmicro.com/pro2012-updates.html

As for the Medieval Promenade:
    http://www.daz3d.com/medieval-promenade
    why do you try to use DSON? There is a standard Poser6 version included ...

edited December 1969

The OP is using a Mac... ;-)

Reinstall the DSON Importer to both Poser versions, but tell it not to uninstall the previous version; I believe it is partially uninstalling the importer for the other Poser version when you do that...

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

WandW said:
    The OP is using a Mac... ;-)

... Ooopsie! ...

• edited December 1969

Hi WandW, thanks again.

1.) Reinstall the DSON Importer to both Poser versions, but tell it not to uninstall the previous version; I believe it is partially uninstalling the importer for the other Poser version when you do that…

Install Manager doesn’t let me do that. It wants to put it into my main content runtime. So I double click on the importer app in my2012 and 2014 Poser Pro Applicaton folders. Clicked no to uninstall, for both 2012 and 2014.

Result: Dragon 3 loads, textures, and morphs in PP 2014. When I close the scene and reopen it it still works.
    BUT:
    Dragon 3 Wingless still doesn’t load, instead putting up this message:
    Please locate :
    “Wingless{8c013c15-d804-1170-5f14-f95e37633f2}.pmd”
    and there is no such file on my computer, or any other computer in the world I bet. Maybe one.
    ———————————————
    2.) Why am I using DSON for Medieval Promenade?
    I mean the Medieval Promenade by FirstBastion (which loads as a prop), not the one by DM (which loads as a figure)
    My First Bastion one is working fine now and so is the DA Old Oak Tree.
    ———————————————

edited December 1969

Hmmm. I would try clearing the DSON cache. It's in the DSON script menu under Importer Preferences. as an aside I have mine set to use a cache folder where my preferences are stored (I'm using Windows, so I'm not sure what the equivalent location is on OS X)...