Big scene crashes Daz - help!

Hey guys 'n' gals, I admit my ignorance of the more technical aspects of Daz but I'm learning.

I have a big scene featuring about seven characters, a detailed set, lights, etc. Now, I knew I wouldn't be able to render this as is but, in the past I've built large scenes - saved - and then removed figures in alternating chunks to render. That way I would have multiple renders I could stitch together in Photoshop later.

But this scene won't even load. Daz goes through the motions, loading the pieces, but always crashes before populating the scene.

I've attached the log.

Is there anything I can do outside of Daz to get this to load? Or do I just have to (gulp) start over?

Thanks to anyone willing to offer advice and help me troubleshoot!

txt
txt
log 7-24.txt
1M

Comments

• In principle you could make a couple of copies of the file, uncompress them, and then edit each ina  text editor to remove some elements - how practical that would be I'm not sure.

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

Are you sure that log covers the time when you tried to open the scene? There is nothing in there useful. It seems like its all program startup stuff.

Could you try again and note the system clock time when you start loading the scene? Then when you grab the log look at the last entry. If the time is not later than that time don't bother posting it just post that is isn't.

• Are you sure that log covers the time when you tried to open the scene? There is nothing in there useful. It seems like its all program startup stuff.

Could you try again and note the system clock time when you start loading the scene? Then when you grab the log look at the last entry. If the time is not later than that time don't bother posting it just post that is isn't.

Hey, thanks for looking at all of that! I just opened the program and went to load that scene - it tried and then crashed again. I reopened the program and the file attached is everything the log recorded for today. It looks the same as the other one?

txt
    txt
    7-27 log.txt
    1M
  • Because you are restarting DS to access the log you have all the start-up entries. The previous run terminated abnormally as there's no exitied line before

2020-07-27 13:40:46.303 +++++++++++++++ DAZ Studio 4.12.0.86 starting +++++++++++++++++

but I don't see anything helpful either, DS presumably crashed before it could update the log with the last few messages. To save picking details out of all thsoe start up messages, what are your system specifications?

• Because you are restarting DS to access the log you have all the start-up entries. The previous run terminated abnormally as there's no exitied line before

2020-07-27 13:40:46.303 +++++++++++++++ DAZ Studio 4.12.0.86 starting +++++++++++++++++

but I don't see anything helpful either, DS presumably crashed before it could update the log with the last few messages. To save picking details out of all thsoe start up messages, what are your system specifications?

Here's my system info (the relevant bits anyway):

Host Name:                 DIGITALSTORM-PC
    OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    OS Version:                10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362
    OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation
    OS Configuration:          Standalone Workstation
    OS Build Type:             Multiprocessor Free
    System Type:               x64-based PC
    Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.
                               [01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~3401 Mhz
    BIOS Version:              American Megatrends Inc. 3016, 12/27/2016
    Windows Directory:         C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory:          C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device:               \Device\HarddiskVolume3
    Total Physical Memory:     8,135 MB
    Available Physical Memory: 3,988 MB
    Virtual Memory: Max Size:  48,711 MB
    Virtual Memory: Available: 38,319 MB
    Virtual Memory: In Use:    10,392 MB
    Page File Location(s):     C:\pagefile.sys
                               D:\pagefile.sys
    Domain:                    WORKGROUP
    Logon Server:              \\DIGITALSTORM-PC
    Hotfix(s):                 19 Hotfix(s) Installed.
                               [01]: KB4565633
                               [02]: KB4503308
                               [03]: KB4515383
                               [04]: KB4515530
                               [05]: KB4516115
                               [06]: KB4520390
                               [07]: KB4521863
                               [08]: KB4524244
                               [09]: KB4524569
                               [10]: KB4528759
                               [11]: KB4537759
                               [12]: KB4538674
                               [13]: KB4541338
                               [14]: KB4552152
                               [15]: KB4559309
                               [16]: KB4560959
                               [17]: KB4561600
                               [18]: KB4565554
                               [19]: KB4565483

Don't know if it matters, but Daz and its libraries are located on a 2 TB internal drive.

• 8GB of memory is pretty limited, and unfortunately scenes do seem to use more memory on loading that they do once loaded. I think you are simply running out and the only options are editing the (copies of) file or, if someone has the needed content and was willing, you might have them open the file and split it down.

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

Yes, the log is of no use.

You have so issues in some of your installed morphs but I can't say if that has anything to do with anything.

I do wish Daz would get on fixing that stuff, when it is their PA's products.

I hate to say it but your best bet at this point is to build the scene again. I've had some instances where a scene file got corrupt and would not open. I think that is your problem.

• Thanks again everybody. So, just on the off-chance it was a RAM issue, I upgraded to 32GB (the max I can go). Although it will no doubt help my machine anyway, it had no effect on being able to open this file.

Installed the RAM, opened Daz, opened the file ... and Daz crashed after trying valiantly for a minute or so.

I cleared my dson cache just in case and tried again. No joy.

Here's the new log of the latest attempt.

txt
    txt
    7-28 log.txt
    1M
  • mavantemavante Posts: 734
    edited July 2020

Is there a version of the scene you saved before the version that keeps crashing DS? If so, you wouldn't have to start over "from scratch," just from the last previous version of the scene. Or did you just keep overwriting the same saved file as you built the scene?

It's very practical recommended practice to save versions sequentially as you build, such as My-Scene-01, My Scene-02, etc. Of course that advice is worth less than it's cost you if you have one and only one version of your scene saved. Sorry I can't think of anything more helpful.

Post edited by mavante on
  • RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,300
    edited July 2020

If it loaded once before you might try turning off some of the Windows backgound apps and startup programs, then restart. If it does open, delete a few things that you can easily re-add later and save it with a new file name. If you have multiple monitors, try running only one, that can sometimes help.Try updating your graphics card drivers. These probably won't help but worth a try.  

Post edited by RexRed on