Daz Studio 4.12x running very slow

Problem: Daz Studio 4.12x running very slow on one of my PCs.

Background: I have 2 compact desktop PCs running Daz Studio.  One is an AMD with a Ryzen5 2600X 6 Core Processor and a Radeon RX580 graphics card.  Naturally this PC is fairly slow to render but, runs Daz Studio at a good speed with few delays when building or amending scenes.

The second PC which is the one running slow is an Intel i7-9700 8 core and an Nvidia RTX2070 Super graphics card.  It renders much faster due to the Nvidia card, but Daz Studio itself runs much slower, despite being an even more powerful system than the AMD.

Examples: (1) simple activity like restoring figure pose on a G8 character takes 5-10 seconds on the AMD machine. Takes at least 30 secs and sometimes 1 minute or even more on the Intel.  (2) Applying LIE makeup layers on AMD about 5 secs, but takes 10-15 seconds or more on the Intel machine.

However, it is not entirely consistent, because clearing a scene and reloading an empty scene with a basic G8 character takes about the same time on both machines.

Both systems were installed with default install settings apart from changing the path(s) to the Content Library.  Both seem to have exactly the same settings in Preferences, so I'm not sure where else to look to adjust anything performance related.

Any Ideas?  Is this the right forum to raise this question or is there another better section? Or should I raise a bug report?

Comments

• Do both have the same content installed?

• ajmiltonajmilton Posts: 10

Do both have the same content installed?

Yes, 100% all the same from DIM, plus more or less (80%) the same various G2/G3 to G8 hair/wardrobe conversions.

• No morphs different? Those could well account for a difference in load times.

No morphs different? Those could well account for a difference in load times.

No, the examples I tested were the same scenes copied between the two machines.  They were standard retail G8 characters, without additional morphs in that scene, with standard retail clothing and poses.  The intel PC which is running slower I have only just loaded Daz onto, and havent yet done any bespoke or custom scenes on it. So I'm still at a loss why it does some tasks so much slower.  (although I'm totally blown away by how much faster the renders are using the nVidia GPU, even though I knew it would probably be a big improvement!)

• Morphs wouldn't have to be activeto affect load times - when loading the figure DS has to read all of the morph files to add the channels and set their relationships, though it discards the actual shape data (deltas) until needed.

OK, I have done some more testing on the new intel PC.  And in fact, if I create new scenes on the new PC they run perfectly well... at least as fast as when run on the older AMD machine.

So I have concluded that the performance issues are when I use scenes copied from the older system to the new one. Even though the installed products are the same, and the Content Library has the same structure and same name, the file paths are slightly different as my library is on a different drive letter in the second machine. So my guess is that the slow performance is related to Daz having to resolve and find components in a very slightly different file structure.

Is that a reasonable assumption? - ie some sort of file path details hardwired into scene info?

And is there any way to get Daz to sort of revalidate its data structure to overcome this?

Its not the end of the world, as now at least I'm happy that Daz runs OK in "new mode" on the new machine.

• The scene would store only the relative paths (the location within the content directory) - that's why scenes and presets are portable between systems with different content directory locations.