DAZ - 60 watt GPU Power Usage - Blank Scene with wireframe mode?

Hi,

I just noticed that my 1080 ti is using 60 watts constantly with the DAZ application opened with a blank scene and the shader NOT set to IRAY. The 60 watt reading remains the same regardless of wireframe, hidden line or texture mode.

The moment DAZ is closed it drops down to 17 watts. And then I might still have other programs open like Chrome, Firefox etc. with multiple tabs.

I am going to check if 3ds max displays this behavior. This seems a bit high for just the interface with no characters loaded or iray rendering going on. Can anything be done to reduce the power consumption?

Comments

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

Why? And why do you have a current clamp on the PCIE power line?

• Check you don't have the Aux Viewport set to Iray preview, even if it's closed - I haven't used it for ages but in the past I did notice that it would go on using the GPU even when closed (though I never tested to see if that continued across a restart). Also, do bear in mind that the viewport is using OpenGL even in the non-Iray modes.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

GPU-Z 2.33.0 will show Board, GPU chip, and PCIe Slot Power Draw. FWIW, my RTX 2080 Super shows 12.7w for the board, 0.2w for the chip and 4.0w for the slot.

GPU-Z 2.33.0 will show Board, GPU chip, and PCIe Slot Power Draw. FWIW, my RTX 2080 Super shows 12.7w for the board, 0.2w for the chip and 4.0w for the slot.

@JPDAZ

Those figures are with GPU-Z, Chrome, and File Explorer running. I do know that the RTX cards draw less power in general than the GTX 10XX generation.

fastbike1 said:

@JPDAZ

Those figures are with GPU-Z, Chrome, and File Explorer running. I do know that the RTX cards draw less power in general than the GTX 10XX generation.

So those are estimates based on clock speeds. 

Again why do you care. Those power draws are negligible.

I don't care, merely to show one doesn't need a current clamp to get power draws. I don't know what they are based on, merely demonstrating that GPU-Z will display values that are reasonable. No need to get short.

Yes you do need a current clamp. What you're getting from software are estimates. They are not even very good estimates.

They're simply doing very basic multiplication on what differences in voltage and amperage is needed between the base and boost clocks. There is so much more going on it makes that number completely worthless. What's the PSU efficiency? What's the 80+ rating? Where is the PSU on its efficiency curve? How long is the power cord to the computer? How long and what grade are the PCIE power cable(s)?

• JPJP Posts: 60
    edited July 2020

Yes you do need a current clamp. What you're getting from software are estimates. They are not even very good estimates.

They're simply doing very basic multiplication on what differences in voltage and amperage is needed between the base and boost clocks. There is so much more going on it makes that number completely worthless. What's the PSU efficiency? What's the 80+ rating? Where is the PSU on its efficiency curve? How long is the power cord to the computer? How long and what grade are the PCIE power cable(s)?

I am using Nvidia's System Management Interface via command line to check the power usage of the card. And these are accurate because the temperature of the card without the fan running increases when SMI outputs 17 watts or 60 watts. Temperature jumps from 41 degrees to 55 degrees. It is using more power!

Here are screenshots for comparison showing the power usage of the GPU for DAZ, 3dsmax and AutoCAD. In all instances I only had one application running. With DAZ loaded the GPU is using a little over 60 watts @ 55 degrees. With 3dsmax or AutoCAD the GPU is only using 17 - 20 watts. Why is DAZ using an extra 40 watts when all it has to do is show a blank scene with interface and wireframe display mode? The aux screen is not loaded. Are we mining cryptos for DAZ in the background? lol?!

DAZ should not be using more power than 3dsmax or AutoCAD just to show the interface. Those Autodesk software are a lot more complex yet the interface uses a lot less power. Nobody likes wasting electricity!

I can do more comparisons. I have Photoshop open right now and the GPU is still sitting at 17 watts power consumption @ 41 degrees.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3751/~/useful-nvidia-smi-queries

DAZ GPU POWER USAGE 2.jpg
    3228 x 1816 - 700K
    DAZ GPU POWER USAGE 3.jpg
    3228 x 1816 - 1M
    DAZ GPU POWER USAGE 1.jpg
    3228 x 1816 - 634K
    Post edited by JP on
    fastbike1 said:

I don't care, merely to show one doesn't need a current clamp to get power draws. I don't know what they are based on, merely demonstrating that GPU-Z will display values that are reasonable. No need to get short.

Yes whatever the real reading or power supply efficiency may be is irrelevant because I am doing a relative comparison. The software is reading 17-20 watts with one applicaiton and 60 watts with the other. I am only interested in the relative power usage. I can plug a power meter in the wall and get the true reading but that is not what I am going after. And I have a high end 90% efficient PSU not that it is relevant.

edited July 2020
    fastbike1 said:

@JPDAZ

Run Nvidia SMI from the command line - curious to see what readings you get:

You can create a batch file called power.bat in this folder: C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI

Below is the contents you can paste in power.bat. You can use notepad to create the file:

nvidia-smi.exe -i 0 --loop-ms=1000 --format=csv,noheader --query-gpu=power.draw

Note:

I believe you won't have the NVSMI folder if you are running the Studio instead of the Gaming Drivers.

Post edited by JP on

OK dude believe what ever you want. But I sure hope you don't mind that you aren't right. I already explained why and you just ignored it.

edited July 2020

OK dude believe what ever you want. But I sure hope you don't mind that you aren't right. I already explained why and you just ignored it.

How so? I told you the temperature of the card was running higher which indicates higher power usage.There's an easy way to check this. I have a smart plug that indicates wattage at the outlet. I can compare the readings there and I am pretty sure the power discrepancy will match.

That being said, I left DAZ open for longer and loaded a scene and kept running Nvidia SMI in the background. Eventually ithe power usage dropped down to 17-20 watts like the other software. So not sure why it is higher initially. I'll be observing it more.

Post edited by JP on
    JPDAZ said:

How so? I told you the temperature of the card was running higher which indicates higher power usage.There's an easy way to check this. I have a smart plug that indicates wattage at the outlet. I can compare the readings there and I am pretty sure the power discrepancy will match.

That being said, I left DAZ open for longer and loaded a scene and kept running Nvidia SMI in the background. Eventually ithe power usage dropped down to 17-20 watts like the other software. So not sure why it is higher initially. I'll be observing it more.

"They're simply doing very basic multiplication on what differences in voltage and amperage is needed between the base and boost clocks. There is so much more going on it makes that number completely worthless. What's the PSU efficiency? What's the 80+ rating? Where is the PSU on its efficiency curve? How long is the power cord to the computer? How long and what grade are the PCIE power cable(s)?"