Daz freezes computer after rendering

I'm back with issues. Often when rendering a scene and canceling it or letting it fully render my computer will completely freeze for a while making it impossible to save the image. I've been struggling with similar issues for a while (saving scenes) but this one is really getting to me. It doesn't seem to matter if the scene is big or not, as I've been trying several scene setups to check for issues.

So basically, I make a scene and render it, notice something that might need some adjusting and thus cancel the render and that's when it often happens. Also happened when rendering for an hour or so and feeling that the result was what I was looking for, cancel and never could save the picture. Sometimes the computer will eventually react to my actions as even the mouse freezes. It is however then required to restart the computer because nothing will work (programs won't boot at all).

I've been checking the log out and this is one the warnings I seem to be getting regularly (or variations of it).

2020-07-22 11:48:56.930 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.12  IRAY   rend error: OptiX Prime error (Device rtpModelUpdate BL): Memory allocation failed (Function "_rtpModelUpdate" caught exception: Encountered a CUDA error: cudaMalloc(&ptr, size) returned (2): out of memory)
2020-07-22 11:48:56.930 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.13  IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1070): Scene setup failed
2020-07-22 11:48:57.008 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.13  IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1070): Device failed while rendering
2020-07-22 11:48:57.008 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.13  IRAY   rend warn : All available GPUs failed.
2020-07-22 11:48:57.008 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.13  IRAY   rend warn : No devices activated. Enabling CPU fallback.
2020-07-22 11:48:57.028 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.13  IRAY   rend error: All workers failed: aborting render

I've got an i7-8700, 32gb of RAM, a gtx 1070 with 8gb of memory. The scenes often are smaller than the 8 gigs on the card at least according to task manager and gpu-z, I was trying to put a new character together and had 4,8 used of the 8gb and it still froze my whole computer up. Note that it's not always happening.

I've checked my RAM with memtest, did a full defrag of my drives, checked my drives for errors. Uninstalled and reinstalled several packages. The only thing I didn't do yet is fully remove Daz and reinstall it again. Mostly because I'm afraid I'll have to re-enter several paths for saving files and making mistakes. So, I'd rather hear your opinions first before I actually go true with it. I also have quite a lot of 3rd party content, not sure if that matters.

I'm actually getting kinda frustrated and hopeless. I've not been having this exact issue for super long, but it's the worst one in a series of issues I've had with this computer even though it's fairly new (not even 2 years old).

Comments

• DafaDafa Posts: 97

Hi vaaern,

I made multiple posts about this, my most recent one may explain why your studio is crashing and offer a temp. solution until official advice is given. You can check the forum here and look for my name (Dafa). 

But to sum it up, it is known (for some), that after rendering (whether finished or not), DAZ Studio allocates/uses extra VRAM and doesn't go away until you close DAZ Studio and wait a few minutes (read my post to understand why). It is very annoying and an issue I have as well but the solution I shared is what I use as of today. Your second or third render can cause your application or even computer to crash because of this. 

Additionally, one way to understand why your GPU is running out of memory is understanding the output DAZ Studio gives. The example of the render stats output is here: 

Render Stats Output

As you can see for me, I have used a total of ~2GB of VRAM (Gemometry + Texture + Lights + PTX code). However, looking at the DAZStudio logs, there is even more consumption not displayed on the "Iray (Statistics)". "Work space" and "Frame Buffer" are also being used for memory consumption, and for me, it has been usually double the texture, lights, and materials combined. So that's actually ~5GB being allocated. 

You seem to be an experienced user but I'll say this anyway and don't get offended. You can lower your texture consumption using V3Digitimes Scene Optimizer, a tool that can lower all or select texture maps, lower geometry detail (to lower geometry consumption), and instance optimization. 

Also, I don't know your DAZ Studio version nor your NVIDIA Driver version, which newer versions of DAZ Studio have addressed some crashes due to high geometry (usually big scene; lots of characters, hair, and complex props.)

Hope this helps! 

• vaaernvaaern Posts: 77

Hi,

Thanks for the response! I saw that post pass by. As for this post, I've noticed that Daz does indeed remain open for a while after closing it. But the issue sometimes happens right after I've booted my computer up for the first time that day. For me it's just the uncertainty that makes it hard, why can I sometimes render 10 similarly sized scenes with the same character in 1 day, and a day later I get this issue after one scene.
    As for the memory consumption, I've tried this with several setups but even with a character with no clothes and just hair it happens, although the period my computer freezes seems te be shorter then (so this might just be an issue with the hair). I have the scene optimizer tool, but to be honest, my scenes are pretty bare as I've been doing portrait shots most often. The character that I use for this isn't that highly detailed with the exception of the skin, but she never gives any issues. It might be a newer character which I have given the Everyday updo 2 hair I recently got. I should try that one out as it also appeared in the log once.

I have the latest version of Daz and the latest Nvidia drivers, I always keep these up to date.

The render itself seems to be going pretty fine, it's when I stop them that I get the issue. I did notice my CPU got used quite a lot instead of my GPU, so maybe there's an issue there. Then again, I can run pretty heavy games/tasks with seemingly no problems at all. The things also doesn't get too hot (it's around 80*C but that's also probably due to the summer weather). I've had scenes which are clearly under the limit of my GPU and it still rendered them on CPU. I've now looked at the settings and reapplyed them in hopes that that does something.

It's weird because I've been doing pretty complex scenes a while ago without any issues and now I sometimes can't save a portrait shot with 2 lights and a plane as background in it.

• DafaDafa Posts: 97

I don't know what to tell you, it could also be other programs you use that use your VRAM. I believe all browsers, by default, have "Use Hardware Acceleration when available" enabled which uses your GPU's dedicated memory instead of rendering in CPU. Do you render with CPU and GPU? Or just GPU?

• vaaernvaaern Posts: 77
    Dafa said:

I don't know what to tell you, it could also be other programs you use that use your VRAM. I believe all browsers, by default, have "Use Hardware Acceleration when available" enabled which uses your GPU's dedicated memory instead of rendering in CPU. Do you render with CPU and GPU? Or just GPU?

I'm sorry for the late response. Haven't been feeling very well lately. I normally had both CPU and GPU settings on, but now set to GPU only (mostly had both options on because it didn't matter anyway, CPU was always used). I've set my power options to "balanced" and for some reason it started to use my GPU. I haven't had the problem since then. Although I'm feeling like I'll regret saying that somehow, haha. I do have an Oculus Rift attached to my PC which gave problems before. So if it happens again, I'll be removing that to see if it helps. I don't run other programs while rendering with exception of MusicBee to listen to music.