Why Would DZ Crash When Rendering a Large Scene?

neomanneoman Posts: 55

Hello!

I have created a large scene with about 15 characters in "The Collesseum" prop.

If I try and render two times in a row Daz always crashes the second time.  I must always save the scene, restart the computer and it will then render again... once.  So everytime I want to render a second picture I must restart my computer.

What in the memory is causing this?

My computer is an MSI gaming laptop 

i7-7700HQ CPU

64-Bit OS

32Gb RAM

NVIDIA Quadro

Running DazStudio 4.12.1.118

Post edited by neoman on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

Not sure why it would crash.  If you clear the scene and shut down and restart DS, is that sufficient, or do you have to restart the computer?

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

I have no idea how you'd get an odd amount of RAM so I strongly doubt your specs are right. also you seem to have got cut off in the middle.

15 of what characters? You're going to have to give us at least a little more info to be helpful.

Is this an iRay render? 

If not which i5 is it? how much RAM do you really have? What are your render settings?

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,071
    edited July 2020

When DS crashes while rendering, the graphics driver usually crashes on me, and my desktop display goes black.  Most likely this happens because I might have something else running in the backgroud, like a browser, that's gobbling up memory.

So, which is crashing first, DS or the graphics driver?  Check your log files.

Also, Ctrl+Alt+Del, open Windows Task Manager, and monitor your memory usage for DS.

Post edited by Seven193 on
  • neomanneoman Posts: 55

I must restart the computer, open the scene up again to render another picture.  It doesn't do this on other scenes, just this one.  I just assumd it is so large the rendering overwhelms the computer...  but I don't know why rebooting the computer allows for the next render.

edited July 2020

Sorry!  I updated the original post with my computer specs.

Post edited by neoman on
    Dave230 said:

When DS crashes while rendering, the graphics driver usually crashes on me, and my desktop display goes black.  Most likely this happens because I might have something else running in the backgroud, like a browser, that's gobbling up memory.

So, which is crashing first, DS or the graphics driver?  Check your log files.

Daz crashes, the rest of the computer is usually fine.  It has to be the graphics card becoming overwhelmed???  Is there a fix?  I only run Daz when rendering.

GPU model and driver version?  And exact version of DS (4.12.1.118 is the latest general release)?

GPU model and driver version?  And exact version of DS (4.12.1.118 is the latest general release)?

Updated my original post with the specs

GPU driver version?

GPU driver version?

I guess it is a GL62m 7RDX?

Go to Control Panel > NVIDIA Control Panel, click System Information in the lower left, the card model will be on the top left and the driver version on the top right.

Go to Control Panel > NVIDIA Control Panel, click System Information in the lower left, the card model will be on the top left and the driver version on the top right.

Okay, GPU: Quadro M200 Driver version 399.01

Go to https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us ; and see if there's a newer driver.

Okay, I will.  Thanks!

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

gaming laptop with quadro? Get back to us when you have the actual specs.