Geometry Editor question

Hello all,

I bought this product: https://www.daz3d.com/outpost-props mostly for the lantern. Unfortunately, the wire handle can't be turned so that a character could actually carry it around. The attached screenshot shows the handle selected in the Geometry Editor; that part was easy...

Rather than just hide the existing handle and try to cobble up some kind of replacement that would turn, I figure it should be possible to use the Geometry Editor to set it free. Is there a way to do it?

Thanks in advance,

Blind Owl

Screenshot.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 312K

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,901

Now that you have those polygons selected, create a new surface and face group with them. Then, go to Edit -> Object -> Rigging -> Convert Prop to Figure, with General weight mapping. Go into the joint editor (alt+shift+J) and create a child bone to the bone you just created; the rotation axis isn't super critical for this part, but personally, I'd probably use YXZ. Use the Y start point to make the bone start where the pivot point of the handle should be. Once that's done, go to the weight map editor (alt+shift+W), select general weights, right-click inside the viewport and Geometry Selection -> Select by Surface (or Face Group), and select the handle. Right-click again, Weight Editing, Fill Selected with 100%. Now rotate the handle bone to make sure the bone is in the right place, and adjust as needed.

• Blind OwlBlind Owl Posts: 501

Thanks, Gordig! I've never played around with weight mapping, but now's a good time to try (can't do much else these days).

Cheers!

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,901

I just did it myself for that prop (FYI a lot of PC+ props aren't rigged, even if the product is nothing but props), and you'll want to set max rotation to about 315 and min to 0.

• Blind OwlBlind Owl Posts: 501

yesyes

Blind Owl

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

Wow... cool!  Thanks for the tips.... Care to post a render of a character carrying the lamp?