Saving scenes takes a long time

So, I've been having some issues when saving scenes. The saving takes long (sometimes up to a minute) on the first save. I'm not really sure why it does this? I've cleaned up the folder where I save the scenes but it doesn't seem to matter. Also, I've tried this with an empty scene, so just loading Daz and saving instantly, and it does the same.

An extra issue I have is that my computer would sometimes freeze after rendering a big scene, making it unable to save the finished render, very frustrating.

The first issue has been happening for a month now, whilst the other just happened yesterday. I'm getting really frustrated here since I'm running into problems a lot lately.

Comments

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128

I have the same problem with saving scenes. However I have an old (circa 2008) computer with crappy graphics card and external harddrives for my bloated content. I just put the cursor arrow over a tab and get a cup of coffee or switch to a browser and surf the web.... then check back to see when the hand cursor appears signaling the scene is saved.

• vaaernvaaern Posts: 74
    mrposer said:

I have the same problem with saving scenes. However I have an old (circa 2008) computer with crappy graphics card and external harddrives for my bloated content. I just put the cursor arrow over a tab and get a cup of coffee or switch to a browser and surf the web.... then check back to see when the hand cursor appears signaling the scene is saved.

Haha, that's one solution I guess. My computer is not 2 years old and I've got so much trouble with it. What I did try is save the file to another folder (both on the same drive and another drive) and then the issue is gone apparantly. So maybe there's just something off in the scene folder I've been using.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that. Maybe there are circumstances where its searching hard drives for asset locations during the save process. My content is scattered over DAZ directories and Poser runtimes on several drives.

• Before reopening DS the render should be in

%AppData%/daz 3d/studio4/temp/render/

as an r.png fille.

It could be an issue with the GPU - saving generates an OpenGL render for the thumbnail, and rendering of course may use the GPU if it's an Iray render.

Before reopening DS the render should be in

%AppData%/daz 3d/studio4/temp/render/

as an r.png fille.

It could be an issue with the GPU - saving generates an OpenGL render for the thumbnail, and rendering of course may use the GPU if it's an Iray render.

Well, I'll have to check the drivers for my gpu then. I've not encountered any other issues with the thing so far (plays pretty tough games no problem). It's just when I'm saving that I get issues.

I've emptied my scene folder completely (also in the content library > categories) and now the saving seems to be faster. After a few tests I didn't encounter the save issue any longer. Now I'm going to try and render something for an hour or so and try to save it, see what it does.

The folder you linked was as good as empty for me though.

• eshaesha Posts: 3,235

Saving scenes can take rather long if you have dForce simulations in them, especially dForce Hair. The simulations clearly create a lot of extra data that needs to be saved with the scene.

esha said:

Saving scenes can take rather long if you have dForce simulations in them, especially dForce Hair. The simulations clearly create a lot of extra data that needs to be saved with the scene.

Yes, I'm aware of that (having had way too much in my scenes before). But it also happens when there's absolutely nothing in the scene at all. So I think I fixed it, I've moved or deleted some scene files before and my guess is that they weren't removed from the smart content or whatever, making Daz look for icons and such. I've cleared the whole folder up and did a bit of reorganizing and it seems to be fixed now :) Thanks for the help and input all!

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 561

vaaern said:

Yes, I'm aware of that (having had way too much in my scenes before). But it also happens when there's absolutely nothing in the scene at all. So I think I fixed it, I've moved or deleted some scene files before and my guess is that they weren't removed from the smart content or whatever, making Daz look for icons and such. I've cleared the whole folder up and did a bit of reorganizing and it seems to be fixed now :) Thanks for the help and input all!

My L O R D ! THIS is the solution! For the past 7 years I have been dealing with this issue and only your solution actually fixed things! It's the Saved Files Category in Content Library and Smart Content. All the missing references slow things down considerably. Removing those has made a night and day difference. Now, to understand why this slow things down to begin with, because it's slower either way. It's the filling of the those categories in general that slows things down, the missing references just add to the problem. They aren't the main problem though.

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 561

In regards to my above post, it gets slower as Saved Files gets filled up. I wonder if there is a way to keep things from being saved in there at all, so that it never gets slow!

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

One can save the scenes anywhere one wants and DS remembers where one saved the last and uses that the next time as well.

• Visuimag said:

In regards to my above post, it gets slower as Saved Files gets filled up. I wonder if there is a way to keep things from being saved in there at all, so that it never gets slow!

Have you tried right-click>Categorise and unchecking Saved Files, then checking something more useful?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,299
    edited June 2023

PerttiA said:

One can save the scenes anywhere one wants and DS remembers where one saved the last and uses that the next time as well.

Saved Files is a ategory, used for ... saved files. It does seem a bit literal minded, but i don't imagine people would be happy to get the categorisation dialogue pop-up on each save..

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Richard Haseltine said:

PerttiA said:

Saved Files is a ategory, used for ... saved files. It does seem a bit literal minded, but i don't imagine people would be happy to get the categorisation dialogue pop-up on each save..

Now you are talking about 'Smart' Content, which does raise a question, why do they need to be categorised at all?

• PerttiA said:

Richard Haseltine said:

PerttiA said:

Now you are talking about 'Smart' Content, which does raise a question, why do they need to be categorised at all?

No, I am talking about categories - which are one aspect of Smart Content, but which are also used in the Categories list in the Content Library and the Presets tabs in property panes. When a file is saved it is added to the CMS (of course) and part of that is giving it a default category.

Richard Haseltine said:

When a file is saved it is added to the CMS (of course) and part of that is giving it a default category.

Ok, if one is saving assets, but there is no need to add ones savefiles for scenes to the CMS

• You are, of course, free not to use the CMS and to delete all references to your files, or even to stop it from running except when using a tool or feature that needs it, but as long as Daz is suplying it as the major tool for organising content, not adding the users own files to the database would be stranger than adding them.