Non-PC User needs help

Hi all,

I've working with 3D since Poser 1.0 was released. I switched to Daz|Studio awhile ago to take advantage of Genesis 3. Once 4.9 iRay was launched, it became harder to get the renders that I wanted, so I bought a PC (below are the specs). Since 4.12 the system is very sluggish. Openning files take for ever and after awhile working thing slow down.

So here is my questions - If I get a second graphics card would the speed improve? I also have very large libraries, should I pair-down to a slimmer work environment?

System Specs:

I5-7500 @ 3.40Ghz

16Gb RAM

Win10 latest build

NVida - GTX1060 with 6Gb

Daz|Studio running from internal SSD

Librabies  running from external USB-3 HDD

Comments

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

A second GPU won't speed up loading times. That is due to one of a number of issues

1) You have duplicate formulas or some other errors that slow loading.

2) You have a lot of morphs etc. for G3 or G8 or whatever. Whenever you load a figure all the morphs have to be looked up, by opening all the files, reading them and then adding the morph to the figure.

3) The external HDD could be slowing down for any number of mechanical reasons.

Check the log after loading a figure that takes longer than you like. If it shows lots and lots of errors/warnings that could be the issue. 

If there is none of that you need to check the health of the HDD. Look up CHKDSK and then use it.

If its #2 your primary solution is to reduce the number of morphs installed.

• dzweigeldzweigel Posts: 11

Yep, I have the duplicate formula problem and a lot of modifiers for my figures. Time to pair down.

Thanks

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805
    dzweigel said:

Yep, I have the duplicate formula problem and a lot of modifiers for my figures. Time to pair down.

Thanks

You'll likely get the biggest benefit from removing the item(s) causing the duplicate formula issues.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

16GB RAM is causing part of the sluggishness too - I thought 32GB should have been enough, but when I went to 64GB, the responsiveness improved a lot.