What is the proper way to utilize merchant resource shaders?

I have purchased several shader sets such as Exotic Leather Shader Presets 1 that are specifically stated to be merchant resources. I would like to be able to use these in creating clothing items but am unsure what the proper procedure is. Adding the shaders to the clothing items is pretty simple but obviously I can't ship the shaders themselves with the product.

Is there documentation or a tutorial somewhere?

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,330

In the case of that particular set, the fourth point in the ReadMe under "Additional Details" explains ( http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/55945/start ) - as I read it, you cannot apply the shader presets and ship like that with the texture tiles, but you can use the texture tiles in a Photoshop (or whatever) to fill areas of your own texture maps based on the item UVs. (If you need more information you probably should raise a Help request to Customer Services and ask for full details of the usage rules.)

• Thank you for the link to the documentation. 

I have several tickets in to Daz that I've yet to hear back on and was hoping someone here would know!

I was really hoping that there would be an easier way than using a photo editor like PhotoShop, etc. If you go that route then you also have to create the bump maps as well don't you? Isn't there a way that I can simply apply the shader and values then export the object in such a way that Daz Studio produces the texture map, bump map, etc. ?

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,330

Well all the maps are there in the product (bump, overlays, etc) but es, you would need to create a UV-shaped set of each. I'm no great texturer myself - maybe someone more experienced in texture creation may drop in?

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,263
    edited June 2020

Thank you for the link to the documentation. 

I have several tickets in to Daz that I've yet to hear back on and was hoping someone here would know!

I was really hoping that there would be an easier way than using a photo editor like PhotoShop, etc. If you go that route then you also have to create the bump maps as well don't you? Isn't there a way that I can simply apply the shader and values then export the object in such a way that Daz Studio produces the texture map, bump map, etc. ?

Shaders are program specific and no, they do not export out with .obj files.

IF an Iray shader [say with a patterned cloth] can be rendered with 3Delight, then one can add 'real lights' all over the place and use Shader Baker to get a "starter" texture set for whatever the image is on the Diffuse/base Channel. It is possible to run Shader Baker over and over, applying the various layers to the Diffuse/base channel. Best results are not obtained this way ;-) Though it is a nifty way to get the uv template with a buffer zone :-) [before each use, select a folder on the Desktop - not the default place in the program folders - W10 guards those folders]. And be sure if making a set, to tuck keepers into another folder as yes, they will otherwise be overwritten.

One can use texture images as such, or as paint brushes in programs such as PhotoShop or PaintShopPro or G.I.M.P., etc. - to work them onto the item's uvmap templates [work on layers above the actual template]. Whatever setting is used for the Diffuse texture, use the same size settings for the other types of texture images desired.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on