Lighting: IRay Render =/= Texture Shaded

Hello,

I'm trying to set up some dramatic lighting for my scene, and while it works in regular texture shaded view, as soon as I flip to IRay, the "dramatic" element seems to vanish... Do you have an idea as to what I could be doing wrong? It's like as soon as I'm in IRay, there's a certain ambient light that softens everything by default (mind you, I only have one spotlight from the left, and one point light from the right).

Comments

• Texture Shaded is not a good guide. That said, you may be able to improve things by going to Render Settings and in the Editor tab setting the Environment Mode to Scene Only - you will probably need to adjust the Tone Mapping too (e.g. turn the ISO vallue up).

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

Texture shaded is ONLY there so you can set up your scene without having to wait for it to render.  It shows neither HDRI lighting nor the lighting from emissive surfaces.  All it shows are Daz Studio lights, i.e., Points, Linear Points, Spots and Distant Lights, and you will find that  you won't want to limit yourself to those.

You will want to turn off the headlamp.  Both in Iray render settings for Perspective View under the General tab and on the camera, as well.

That ambient light is your HDRI environment lighting.  You can either do as Richard said and change your environment to Scene Only, or you could also try reducing the environment intensity, depending on the scene.

As you are just starting out, you might want to check out Parmy's Youtube channel.  He has some very good beginner's videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH1-ulEa5NhRvgYkfvgpsQw

• ayndrekayndrek Posts: 11

Thank you so much! That's what I was looking for.