Finished Render Becomes Top Window

Hi! Recently there has been a different behaviour with my DazStudio. I updated so that may have something to do with it. If I render to a new window, when the render is complete the render window becomes the top window as if to say, "I'm done! Look at me!" I do not want it to do that. At all. I want the render window to stay buried where I put it. I don't need NSFW (Not Safe For Work) images suddenly appearing on the screen if other people are present. Is there a setting somewhere to prevent this behaviour? Was it a part of the update?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,449
    edited June 2020

What do you mean - that it pops to the top of the stack even if you are currently using a different application? I just tried and didn't get anything like that.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • bobmalebobmale Posts: 40

Yes. That's exactly what it does. If you're browsing or reading or in Word, etc. then the render window appears.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,449
    edited June 2020

It happens, for me, if DS is in front of the render but not, for me, to steal focus from a non-DS window. However, the chnage long does seem to say what you are seeing is expected:

The Render Window is now raised and made active when the window is not active and a render is finished or canceled

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log_4_12_1_117#4_12_1_100

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • bobmalebobmale Posts: 40

Thanks Richard! Now I know why at least. I suspect there's nothing to be done about it at this time.

I was beginning to suspect Avast Virus Scanner. It has been setting some programs as not to be interupted by other programs. That's the opposite behaviour, but I thought it might potentially be a bug.

Maybe it's both at work.

Render direct to file is so far not changing window focus at any time, thankfully.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,442

Try minimizing the render window while the render is in progress.

• It should only be lifting the render window to the top of the stack of Daz Studio windows, it shouldn't have any effect on other application windows (but of course if the window you are working in is not maximised you will still see the render window when it moves up. If it is actually stealing the focus from your active window do you have any system utilities that are meant to help with windowe focus, and might be reading the elevation as a request for gobal elevation?

Rendering to file doesn't have a render window to pop up.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

I put in a ticket to Tech Support about new render window behaviour - not exactly the same thing, but there may be a connection. They've certainly made changes to the render window.

My issue was that I've always assigned the letter Q to Save Last Render, and in previous versions, when a render ended, I would simply hit Q, get the Browse dialog and save the render to my usual folder.

Now what happens is the letter Q appears in the render window name field - because that field is automatically active or 'live' - ie. the cursor is already in it - as soon as a (new window) render finishes. So I have to click somewhere inside the render to deactivate the field, then hit Q.

Tech Support did admit that the new behaviour is different, but say it's intentional. It's not a huge deal, but it's an extra step, especially if, like me, you use the Browse dialog to click on a saved render, then increment the number up +1.

Anyway, I don't know if it's a factor in the OP's issue, but render window behaviour has definitely been tweaked in some ways.

• Another option is to change the Render Target (in Render Settings) from 'New Window' to 'Direct To File'.