Is there a "best way" to go back to a previous version?

jpetersen1jpetersen1 Posts: 148

The new Public Build doesn't work—it crashes. If I load an existing scene, I might be able to do a couple of minor tweaks before it crashes, but it's unusable.

The previous version was mostly reliable. Sometimes it would crash on simulation, but I learned to save first and I can live with it. I want to go back to this version.

So, is there a "best way" a recommended way to go back to a previous version? How do you find all the relevant files? I have several plugins installed (I can't remember all their names). Will these have to be reinstalled also?

Post edited by jpetersen1 on

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,393

Do you have a backup of the install files for the previous version? If not, you will need to contact support and ask them if they can provide them to you, because they're not available for download anymore.

• jpetersen1jpetersen1 Posts: 148

As far as I know I didn't delete them, but I don't know which files are involved when any particular version is installed. I didn't explicitly back them up (wish I had).

I guess I became over-complacent. The last two updates worked fine, so I installed the new PB without expecting problems.

• That degree of inbstability is surprising - what are your system specifications?

My system is described in my sig file:

12-core Duo Mac; 128gb Mojave; NIVIDIA Titan

I am not having instabilities with other software applications, and the previous two versions of DS were not unstable on my system. It is only the latest Public Build that crashes. I use DIM to install.

• IIRC, you'll need to submit a support ticket to get the previous installers for the betas.

The DIM files have nothing to indicate the version past 412, so unless you put them in different file folders or added it to the name of the zip,with the full version number, you won't really know which one is which.

• My system is described in my sig file:

12-core Duo Mac; 128gb Mojave; NIVIDIA Titan

I am not having instabilities with other software applications, and the previous two versions of DS were not unstable on my system. It is only the latest Public Build that crashes. I use DIM to install.

Are thje crashes associated with any actions, on the whole, or do they seem random? Which preview mode is the Viewport in? What are the optimisation settings in Daz Studio>Preferences>Interface tab?

edited June 2020

I'm having trouble determining if specific actions are responsible because it crashes after one or two minor tweaks.

I load an existing scene. I click on an asset in the scene tab. I move the asset slightly. I might get to do this once, twice or maybe three times before it crashes. I haven't gotten farther than that with the new version.

Usually I'm pretty good at troubleshooting, but there's not much information to go on when it crashes so quickly, and I am not yet very familiar with the DS file structure. As I mentioned, this never happened with the previous versions.

I haven't made any changes on my system other than adding more assets via DIM. I keep all my DS assets on a dedicated drive and I don't change the install path for the software (which is on the system drive). There is plenty of hard drive space.

Post edited by jpetersen1 on

Okay, I wasn't sure how to do this in the best way, but I've managed to uninstall the new Public Build (which crashes) and go back to 4.12.1.117 which works, so far. The process doesn't appear to have broken anything (AFAIK).