A basic question about saving files.

I'm a newbie and I was hoping to use Daz to make short animations which I could post on youtube. While I've managed to get to grips with some aspects of Daz, and I really like it, I can't work out how to save my scenes/animations in a format that can be uploaded onto youtube or similar sites, which are as follows:

• .MOV
  • .MPEG4
  • .MP4
  • .AVI
  • .WMV
  • .MPEGPS
  • .FLV
  • 3GPP
  • WebM
  • DNxHR
  • ProRes
  • CineForm
  • HEVC (h265)

I can't find any of these formats in the Daz ' File: save as' options, and those are mostly .duf options , which  (obviously) won't upload to a video site, which is to be expected given the nature of the files.

I must be making a basic error, surely, as Daz is a prmier animation tool, there must be some way to save files in a standard video format?

1. Ae there options in Daz to save in video-format, any of the above?

2. Do you need to buy an exta piece of kit to convert .duf files into, for example MP4?

How do you save your own Daz scenes/animations before you export them to video editing/web?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,449
    edited June 2020

File>Save and the File>Save As items are for saving scenes, settings, and content in a way that lets you reload them for future work. Still image can be saved with File>Save Last Render, using the buttons under the render wndow, or by setting an output destination in Redner Settings. If in Render Settings you change the Render Type to Image Sequence or Movie then you can enter a folder to save the sequence to or an aniamtion file to save the movie to. In geenral it's best to use an Image Sequence, it allows you to render in chunks instead of all at once, you get an alpha channel for compositing, if necessary you can edit or rerender problem frames without having to rerender the whole thing, and it gives crash (or Windows Update) protection in that you can resume the render were it left off - and, post DS, a dedicated animation tool that can convert an image sequence into a movie will give you more choice over the codec to use and the compression etc. settings.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Thanks so much!  Following your kind advice, so far, I can work through to :

Presets  Editor  Advanced Render ( Blue Camera icon)

Engine NVDIA Iray

>General

Render Type: Movie/series

Movie Name 'First movie' ( just what I called it)

Movie Path : desktopfolder

I don't see an obvious save button or how to save it in this format to the desktop file. When I try it in Save it  still wants to save it as .duf.

There has to be an incridibly obvious anser, I know, but i just cant grasp this aspect of the saving process.

Thanks for you patience, I really am this newbie-bdmb:)

• You have to hit the Render button (or the Render>Render menui command), and then wait since each frame has to be rendered as a separate image - I'd suggest rendering soem single frames as still images first to get an idea of how long the process will take for that scene, then review whether you can makes changes to speed things up (and decide how many frames you want to try rendering at a sitting).

• Thinking about this laterally, would it be better to use  something like Mirillis Action to record from screen? because this way I would be straight to  having the video , and I could edit and save as a video. It bypasses the rendering process in Daz and gets straight to the point of having an editable video file, at least in terms of frame sequences/cuts etc, which is what I want.