Transforms vs. Figure in Parameters Pane

vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,656

Whenever working with a figure, the Transforms parameter seems to be the default when selecting part of the figure in the Scene pane.

For instance, when I select the Head of a figure in the Scene pane, I noticed that the Transforms parameter is highlighted in the Parameters pane, so I have to click on Head in the Parameter pane to adjust the head.

It doesn't matter what part of the figure is selected, it keeps jumping to Transforms as the default, which is an extra click for me to get back to the bodypart in the Parameters pane.

I just want the highest level to be the default when selecting a figure's body part.

I find when doing a lot of adjustments, this extra click to get out of Transforms, is really a lot of extra clicking constantly.

Is there a logic behind DAZ Studio defaulting to "Transforms" when clicking on just about anything in the Scene pane?

example.jpg
276 x 402 - 67K
2.jpg
269 x 334 - 62K
Post edited by vonHobo on

Comments

• PhatmartinoPhatmartino Posts: 287

I'd like to know if there's a way to change this behavior as well. It's a tiny thing but I've done an absolute ton of extra clicking too...

• If you have a group selected on one node and switch to another node with the same group the group will remain selected; if the second node doesn't have a matching group it will switch to transforms; if you then select a node which does have a group with the same name as the original selection then both that and transform will be selected. DS does it's best, but if the group[ing doesn't match its options are limited.

• vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,656

If you have a group selected on one node and switch to another node with the same group the group will remain selected; if the second node doesn't have a matching group it will switch to transforms; if you then select a node which does have a group with the same name as the original selection then both that and transform will be selected. DS does it's best, but if the group[ing doesn't match its options are limited.

I'm only selecting one item at a time. I just want a figure or item to be selected in the Parameters pane, if I have selected it in the Scene pane. Instead, it jumps to the Transforms selection in the Parameters pane which is down below the figure or object. Why does it highlight Transforms all the time?

For instance if you select a G8 Figure in the Viewport or Scene pane and want to apply a skin shader, you first have to go to the Parameters pane and select the figure itself instead of "Transforms" under the figure. 

Likewise, if you select a teapot in the Viewport or Scene pane and want to apply a shader, you first have to go to the Parameters pane and select the teapot itself instead of "Transforms/Rotation" under the teapot. 

Does DAZ Studio assume that every action somehow involves Transforms??? Or is it just the most common action users take when selecting an object? And so that's why it is the default Parameter selection?

I hope I'm explaining this correctly without sounding totally confusing. 

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798
    von Hobo said:

For instance if you select a G8 Figure in the Viewport or Scene pane and want to apply a skin shader, you first have to go to the Parameters pane and select the figure itself instead of "Transforms" under the figure. 

Likewise, if you select a teapot in the Viewport or Scene pane and want to apply a shader, you first have to go to the Parameters pane and select the teapot itself instead of "Transforms/Rotation" under the teapot. 

I don't find that to be the case when I do it. Select the item in the Scene tab, select the surface(s) in the Surfaces tab, never go anywhere near the Parameters tab, apply the shader. It works fine.

I just did some testing, as (as I expected) Daz doesn't care what is selected in the parameters tab. It doesn't even care what part of the figure you select. I loaded a G3F, selected one of her toes, went to the parameter pane and selected Display > Simulation, went to the Surfaces tab and selected her face, and applied a shader. Her face changed colour, despite her head not being selected in the scene tab and some random thing being selected in the parameters tab.

All daz wants/needs to know when you apply a shader is which surface(s) to apply it to.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

I prefer using the Parameters pane, but if you use the Shaping pane it defaults to Actor.

I'm not clear on what you mean about applying shaders.  You don't need to go to the Parameters pane, and if you do the item you selected in Scene or Viewport is still the item selected.

• vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,656
    von Hobo said:

I don't find that to be the case when I do it. Select the item in the Scene tab, select the surface(s) in the Surfaces tab, never go anywhere near the Parameters tab, apply the shader. It works fine.

I just did some testing, as (as I expected) Daz doesn't care what is selected in the parameters tab. It doesn't even care what part of the figure you select. I loaded a G3F, selected one of her toes, went to the parameter pane and selected Display > Simulation, went to the Surfaces tab and selected her face, and applied a shader. Her face changed colour, despite her head not being selected in the scene tab and some random thing being selected in the parameters tab.

All daz wants/needs to know when you apply a shader is which surface(s) to apply it to.

I see what you mean. But I was just using the surface shader as an example. If I select the figure's head for example, DAZ always selects Transforms/Rotation by default in the Parameters pane. So I then have to click "Head" at the top level to get to all the expression parameters. And "Head", by the way, includes the same parameters as Rotation, in addition to all the other parameters you can change in addition to movement, such as expressions, mouth adjustment, head morphs, etc. 

So I was just wondering why DAZ Studio always selects a limited subset of parameters for any item you select, by jumping to one of the Transforms parameter sections of the figure.

• PhatmartinoPhatmartino Posts: 287

Some interesting info in the above responses... Several things I didn't know, thanks! I'll have to pay more attention because the probs I usually have, I just tried to check in DS and couldn't re-create.

I use Sliders for everything as far as Posing, Positioning, Scaling, etc. and what I'm usually annoyed with is going back and forth between Figures and Props doing XYZ positioning whether having Transforms or Translations highlighted in the Parameters or Posing Tab, and invariably ending up with DS selecting Rotations every time I go back to a Figure or Prop, etc... So I have to re-select Transforms or Translations in order to have access to XYZ Traslations... Though Like I said, I just went in and tested and it wasn't doing it, so I'm not sure if there's some bad habit I have when in the thick of editing a scene that I need to figure out...