3Dlight character appear with strips on skin

As a title says : a character appears with stripes on her skin when rendered. See attached file. In a previous render, her skin appeared perfectly normal. I removed all the lights and used the headlamp instead, removed all characters and decors, reapplied the skin, to no avail. However, when I move the character away from the spot she is, the stripes become less visible. 

Any idea of what could cause that? 

000000000stripes.PNG
183 x 191 - 82K

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    odastein said:

As a title says : a character appears with stripes on her skin when rendered. See attached file. In a previous render, her skin appeared perfectly normal. I removed all the lights and used the headlamp instead, removed all characters and decors, reapplied the skin, to no avail. However, when I move the character away from the spot she is, the stripes become less visible. 

Is the skin using the AoA SS shader? If so, try decreasing shading rate in the surface pane for the skin surfaces. For example if the shadingrate is 16, try 8. If that does not help, you probably need to look in the render settings and lower the render shading rate.

• odasteinodastein Posts: 606
    odastein said:

Is the skin using the AoA SS shader? If so, try decreasing shading rate in the surface pane for the skin surfaces. For example if the shadingrate is 16, try 8. If that does not help, you probably need to look in the render settings and lower the render shading rate.

I don't know if it's "AoA" but there's a SS shader, indeed. I'll try that. Could you tell me what is the "shading rate", by the way? The following sentence  : " Determines the quality of and speed control during the render process" isn't particularly clear...

odastein said:
    odastein said:

I don't know if it's "AoA" but there's a SS shader, indeed. I'll try that. Could you tell me what is the "shading rate", by the way? The following sentence  : " Determines the quality of and speed control during the render process" isn't particularly clear...

Haha! Well, it determines at what rate shading is calculated on geometry. The higher rate the faster it will render and the less detail will be calculated. So generally it's a quality control that let's you optimize surfaces for renderspeed at the cost of detail. The AoA SS shader has its own dedicated shading rate slider to control SS detail. The rendersettings shading rate controls every other aspect, like how accurately shadows are rendered etc. IIRC the default rate is 1 which in many cases is far from enough to get detailed shading. I use something between 0.1 and 0.5 when rendering with the regular 3DL engine;)

odastein said:
    odastein said:

Haha! Well, it determines at what rate shading is calculated on geometry. The higher rate the faster it will render and the less detail will be calculated. So generally it's a quality control that let's you optimize surfaces for renderspeed at the cost of detail. The AoA SS shader has its own dedicated shading rate slider to control SS detail. The rendersettings shading rate controls every other aspect, like how accurately shadows are rendered etc. IIRC the default rate is 1 which in many cases is far from enough to get detailed shading. I use something between 0.1 and 0.5 when rendering with the regular 3DL engine;

Thanks for the answer.

Unfortunately, changing the shading rate, in surfaces or in render setting, didn't change anything. The character skin stays stripped. 

odastein said:
    odastein said:

Haha! Well, it determines at what rate shading is calculated on geometry. The higher rate the faster it will render and the less detail will be calculated. So generally it's a quality control that let's you optimize surfaces for renderspeed at the cost of detail. The AoA SS shader has its own dedicated shading rate slider to control SS detail. The rendersettings shading rate controls every other aspect, like how accurately shadows are rendered etc. IIRC the default rate is 1 which in many cases is far from enough to get detailed shading. I use something between 0.1 and 0.5 when rendering with the regular 3DL engine;

Thanks for the answer.

Unfortunately, changing the shading rate, in surfaces or in render setting, didn't change anything. The character skin stays stripped. 

odastein said:
    odastein said:
    odastein said:

Thanks for the answer.

Ok! Do they go away if you turn off SS for the skin surfaces in the  shader? Do you use the UE2 light? Too low quality settings could cause similar artefacts. Do they go away if you enable progressive mode?

odastein said:
    odastein said:

Ok! Do they go away if you turn off SS for the skin surfaces in the  shader? Do you use the UE2 light? Too low quality settings could cause similar artefacts. Do they go away if you enable progressive mode?

In fact, I focused on this character, and hadn't noticed that another had the same stripped skin, although more discreetedly.

I tried to turn off SS without change, and no, I wasn't using UE2 light. I hide all lights to use only the headlamp, and no change. Finally, I always use progressive mode.

Too low quality settings? Hmm...I did all the renders in low resolution, since the first was just intended to have an idea of what the image looked like, and all the others were test to try to eliminate the stripes; It didn't occur to me to try a higher resolution; Going to do that.

I saved a subset of one character, and the stripes indeed disappeared with a higher resolution. But now I have a persistent "white skin" problem instead, so I can't verify if the stripes went away in render. 

edited May 2020
    odastein said:
    odastein said:
    odastein said:

In fact, I focused on this character, and hadn't noticed that another had the same stripped skin, although more discreetedly.

I tried to turn off SS without change, and no, I wasn't using UE2 light. I hide all lights to use only the headlamp, and no change. Finally, I always use progressive mode.

So I was almost certain it was SS related, but we can rule that out then. And doesn't look like a lighting issue. And, since you render in progressive mode, you don't have to worry about render shading rate. It is bypassed in progressive mode, So atm I don't know what's causing the issues. I'm kinda suspecting it is a scene ID or shader compiling thing?

odastein said:

But now I have a persistent "white skin" problem instead, so I can't verify if the stripes went away in render. 

So, if you close DS and re open, load only one character, nothing else, does that work? The white skin bug usually goes away aftter restarting. And, you probably have done this already, but locate your DS temp files folder and delete the content, which will force DS to re compile the shader when hitting render. Let me know how it goes!

ETA Ok I just saw your other thread about white skin. Since I don't have a fix I suggest using a non shadermixer network like the OmUberSurface instead of AoA SS. It produces very similar results and is very stable.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    odastein said:
    odastein said:
    odastein said:

So I was almost certain it was SS related, but we can rule that out then. And doesn't look like a lighting issue. And, since you render in progressive mode, you don't have to worry about render shading rate. It is bypassed in progressive mode, So atm I don't know what's causing the issues. I'm kinda suspecting it is a scene ID or shader compiling thing?

odastein said:

But now I have a persistent "white skin" problem instead, so I can't verify if the stripes went away in render. 

So, if you close DS and re open, load only one character, nothing else, does that work? The white skin bug usually goes away aftter restarting. And, you probably have done this already, but locate your DS temp files folder and delete the content, which will force DS to re compile the shader when hitting render. Let me know how it goes!

Regarding the white skin. I created a new scene with a single character, and it works. It's the previous scene that has this problem. And yes, I deleted the temp files (I hope that I deleted the correct temp files, at least) and the brickyard. Closed and restarted DAZ. Restarted the computer, even. This scene always renders with white skin (I tried 6 times).

Regarding the stripes : the issue was what you mentioned at the end : too low quality settings, as I was doing all those test renders in very low resolution 700x800 . I just verified it again with a new scene with only this character. The stripes dissapear when I use a higher resolution (or simply move the character closer to the camera). Thanks for that. 

odastein said:
    odastein said:
    odastein said:
    odastein said:

odastein said:

Regarding the white skin. I created a new scene with a single character, and it works. It's the previous scene that has this problem. And yes, I deleted the temp files (I hope that I deleted the correct temp files, at least) and the brickyard. Closed and restarted DAZ. Restarted the computer, even. This scene always renders with white skin (I tried 6 times).

Regarding the stripes : the issue was what you mentioned at the end : too low quality settings, as I was doing all those test renders in very low resolution 700x800 . I just verified it again with a new scene with only this character. The stripes dissapear when I use a higher resolution (or simply move the character closer to the camera). Thanks for that. 

A thought: Did you try to assign dedicated GroupID numbers to the skin surfaces? One character using 1 and the other 2?

odastein said:
    odastein said:
    odastein said:
    odastein said:

A thought: Did you try to assign dedicated GroupID numbers to the skin surfaces? One character using 1 and the other 2?

No. I don't even know what is a "GroupID number" or how you assign one. 

odastein said:
    odastein said:
    odastein said:
    odastein said:
    odastein said:

No. I don't even know what is a "GroupID number" or how you assign one. 

Scroll down in the surface tab. Should be there if you use the AoA SS shader.