How do I apply a shader without screwing up simulation settings?

I am trying to apply a shader to a piece of clothing (dForce Beth Holiday Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s)). The clothing comes pre-setup with simulation settings specific to the clothing. When I apply an Iray fabric shader to the clothing it screws up the simulation settings and the the dForce simulation no longer works properly. I have tried appying the fabric shader to only the diffuse channel of the Cloth_Main surface in the Surfaces pane but still get the same results, namely the lower part of the dress stretches down to the floor when simulated. Obviously I want to keep the simulation settings of the original dress and only change the shader on the fabric.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077
    edited May 2020

How about applying the shader after the simulation is completed and frozen? Jus a guess 'cause I have no idea why a shader would affect simulation settings.

Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,449

I thought, in general, that material/shader presets should not touch the simualtion settings - is this happening with presets from multiple sources or only a specific set or maker?

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

Your suspicions were correct, the problem is caused by the shaders of the Make Me Itsy Bitsy Baby Props and Shaders (Artist:Daz Originals Hinkypunk) set only.

What is even more strange is that it is not the material zone to which I apply the shaders (eg Cloth_Main) which causes the problem, but rather the skirt hem and sleeves hem material zones which then behave as if they are made of lead and fall to the floor, stretching the rest of the dress in the process. Even more strange; if I then apply one of the shaders from this set specifically to the skirt hem material zone (Cloth_Edge) as well, then the simulation proceeds normally.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300
    fastbike1 said:

How about applying the shader after the simulation is completed and frozen? Jus a guess 'cause I have no idera why a shader would affect simulation settings.

That would also be a work around. But annoying that I can only do one simulation before having to copy all the material setting back on to the dress from a second copy of the dress.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,449

Your suspicions were correct, the problem is caused by the shaders of the Make Me Itsy Bitsy Baby Props and Shaders (Artist:Daz Originals Hinkypunk) set only.

What is even more strange is that it is not the material zone to which I apply the shaders (eg Cloth_Main) which causes the problem, but rather the skirt hem and sleeves hem material zones which then behave as if they are made of lead and fall to the floor, stretching the rest of the dress in the process. Even more strange; if I then apply one of the shaders from this set specifically to the skirt hem material zone (Cloth_Edge) as well, then the simulation proceeds normally.

That should probably be reported as a possible bug, please https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,528

Just a thought. When that set is first used, is the stiffness of the cloth abnormally high? Just wondering if the hems are like lead in order to get an overly stiff fabric to work. Then after applying normal shader to the fabric the stiffness becomes more norma and a shader that accidentally has material density attached needs to be applied to the hems. This then brings them back to a more sensible density, so they behave properly.