Regarding Geografting...(Quad-thumb hands)

Okay, odd question:

How would I set up a geograft hand figure if I was going to have it with a second thumb instead of the pinky? sad

In other words, I bring the Genesis 2 Female hand into Lightwave, cut it in half on the centerline (down the middle of the middle finger), and mirror the side with the thumb over...So...Two thumbs, one on each side, with Mid, Index and Ring the same.

• I've tried naming the second thumb parts as: 'Thumb2 1, Thumb2 2, Thumb2 3'...THAT didn't work. Studio renamed it over to 'Pinky1, 2 & 3'.

• I've tried naming the second thumb parts as Pinky, but, when I fit the geograft, it forces the Geografts 'Pinkys' to fit the ones on the figure.

I'd want to translate over the joint info on the OTHER fingers, but NOT this special finger.

Are there any import settings I should be using? Anything I'm MISSING?!

This thing is driving me to DRINK, and I don't drink!  angry

Thoughts?

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,964

My Oolong ( https://www.daz3d.com/oolong-hd-for-genesis-8-male ) have two fingers and two thumbs.

Instead of a geograft I altered the rigging of the pinkie so that it would operate like a thumb. I probably went overboard with the JCMs, but ... it worked out pretty well.

While hard, I think it's less difficult than using a geograft.

• Oso3D said:

My Oolong ( https://www.daz3d.com/oolong-hd-for-genesis-8-male ) have two fingers and two thumbs.

Instead of a geograft I altered the rigging of the pinkie so that it would operate like a thumb. I probably went overboard with the JCMs, but ... it worked out pretty well.

While hard, I think it's less difficult than using a geograft.

THAT, I didn't try. I'll give that a go and see if I can make it work. Thanks.

(Hopefully, it WILL, so I can finish the d@*n design and USE the characters! :) )

Greg

• AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718

Why not morph the little finger to look like a thumb?

• AbnerK said:

Why not morph the little finger to look like a thumb?

I may have to try that, since the OTHER way was an exercise in frustration. frown

Then again, I WAS being a little ambitious...

I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow. The joints shouldn't (hopefully) be too hard (since I've been learning about them and weights during the process...),

the only downside is that I likely won't be able to use 'Symmetry' in Lightwave, since that seems to mess up point count, for some odd reason... sad

Thank you.

Greg yes