How to make a Hypnotic Shader

I have a pair of goggles, and there is no preset material for them that I can use and manipulate in photoshop to apply.  My next thought was to simply find and purchase a shader set here on the store that had a hypnotic spiral type pattern, and simply double click it after selecting the goggle's lenses, but could not find one.  This got me wondering what program people use to make all these shader sets we see on here like latex shaders, gemstone shaders, fur shaders, nature shaders, brick and stonework shaders, and on and on, as they are not just materials since they can be applied to anything.  So, my question here is, how do I go ahead and just make my own shader as needed, Iray, to be more specific?  Is there something built into Daz that I use and purchase, do I need to have some third party 3d program like Zbrush or whatever, or any other possible ways that could be the answer that I am too ignorant to know.

Having no degree or education in 3d modeling, it is possible that I am asking this question in a strange, uneducated way that could lead to confusion among the learned and educated on the subject.  As such, I will update this OP if needed, to hone the question to get a more precise answer- and thank you!

Comments

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

You can paint a texture for anything in photoshop, if you have something that don't have a texture to paint over or an included template, you need some sort of 3d program that has the ability to export a UV map to use as a paint template. Blender is free and can do it. You have to open up your object in blender, then go into uv edit mode, UV menu > export UV layout

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633
    edited May 2020

Instead of trying to edit the whole object (which might be hard if you have no background or experience with 3d modelling) 

You could try the following

1) Create a plane (Menu > Create > Primitve)

2) Find the ubershader (search uber) and apply the material to the plane.

3) Find a spiral pattern you like, and make a mask for it. A mask is a black and white cutout. Black become transparant, white stays opaque. So you have two images, one spiral with colours, one to mask it.

4) Select plane, go to the surfaces tab, and add your first colour spiral image to the base colour channel. The second mask image goes into cutout opacity channel.

You should now have a plane with a hypnotic spiral. Move the plane into place behind or in front of the glasses. Adapt the mask if it needs to fit the goggle eyepiece.

Post edited by Paintbox on