Iray render time

Hi all, for years i've been using poser but I want to work with genesis 8. I'm prepared to spend on a more powerful laptop but I want an idea of how long I can get Iray render time down to and what system requirements I would need to do so. 

So a 2 character scene (picture not animation) with genesis 8 with a not too fancy enviroment, what can my render time be? 

Many thanks.

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

That question is difficult to answer without any details. Just a few examples: "powerful" laptop is meaningless in and of itself. many people think a Macbook Pro is powerful, but for Iray it doesn't have Nvidia Graphics and will render painfully slow on the CPU. You want an Nvidia GPU with at least 8GB of Vram and will still need to be careful with scene content to get render times less than a couple of hours. You also want at least 32GB of CPU ram. 2 characters and not too fancy also isn't specfic enough. A closeup will take more time to render than a full bode or distant shot.

Those are challenging requirements for a laptop and the mobil gpus are not quite equivalent to their desktop brethren.

• mlolyamlolya Posts: 35

That's a question I would like to have a good answer to. I started using Daz a while ago and got what I thought might be a decent start up laptop, also one I could afford. 

I got an Intel i-5 2.50 GHz with 8 GB of Ram and a Gforce GTX1050 with 4 GB 

This system is barely enough to function. For a scene like you have described renders can take anywhere from 2 to 5 hours. If there are any dforce items in the scene it can take longer and if I put more figures or add a detailed background the system simply crashes. What I have is obviously not enough. I'm looking to upgade and it would be interesting to know what is the real minimum hardware needed to run renders for larger scenes.

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

There are benchmark threads over in General that detail how varuious hardware renders a common scene. That should give  anyone interested an idea of what to expect.

I have a relatively powerful render rig, 1080ti and a 2070, and a 2 character render in a "bormal" scene can take somewhere between 30 minutes and 1 hour to get to 95% convergence. However you could easily enough monitor the render and stop it far earlier when it has gotten to an acceptable look for you. I use a tool that lets me render a series of scenes automatically so I run them overnight.

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633
    edited May 2020

The most important thing to learn is that the scene needs to fit on the graphics card. So the more VRAM memory the better. If your render with the GTX1050 and it is taking so long @mlolya, it's even possible that the card isn't used. You can check using the window you see when you render an image. Click on details and it says if it using GPU or CPU.

If you check resource usage with something like GPU-Z you can also see if you card is being utilized. A couple of characters and a scene easily fills up 4 or 6Gb cards.

Now you can try to optimize scenes with something like https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer , by reducing textures and details so it does fit.

Here is the benchmarking thread by the way : https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/341041/daz-studio-iray-rendering-hardware-benchmarking/p1

Post edited by Paintbox on
  • Thanks for all your comments and advice, very helpful. I think i'm best off with poser then as i can render in a couple of mins. Shame as I would have loved to use genesis. I think daz might be missing out on a lot of money from poser users. Never mind. 

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Thanks for all your comments and advice, very helpful. I think i'm best off with poser then as i can render in a couple of mins. Shame as I would have loved to use genesis. I think daz might be missing out on a lot of money from poser users. Never mind. 

Well there's is also 3Delight, just saying...

• hwgs1971hwgs1971 Posts: 130

If you run dual draphics cards, does that mean you have twice the amount of VRAM, or does it mean you still have the same anount of VRAM but it processes twice as fast?

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

That is not a straight forward question.

Generally speaking, 2 cards render the scene independently. My 1080ti has 11Gb and my 2070 has 8Gb. So if the scene is under 8 then both work on the scene and it renders very quickly.

However if you have 2 newer high end GPU's, 2070 super or better as well as recent Quadro's, can be connected with an NVLink bridge and then, according to DAZ, the cards can combine their VRAM during the render. However I've yet to see any one state they have done this successfully so before spending a lot of money I'd see if you can get this confirmed to be working.

• edited May 2020

Thanks for all your comments and advice, very helpful. I think i'm best off with poser then as i can render in a couple of mins. Shame as I would have loved to use genesis. I think daz might be missing out on a lot of money from poser users. Never mind. 

Well there's is also 3Delight, just saying...

Thanks, but I don't really like the results on 3ddelight. 

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Dim ReaperDim Reaper Posts: 687

Since Daz Studio is free, and comes with both Genesis 8 and some other free content, why not download it and give it a try to see the render times on your system?

Having used Poser for many years, I was very reluctant to make the leap, but I haven't regretted it.  Definitely worth a look, and you still have Poser to go back to if necessary.