Laser Sword and Staff from "Universal Weapons Prop and Poses" pack?

I may be totally missing something, but for the life of me I can't find where the Laser Sword and Laser Staff from "The Universal Weapons Prop and Poses" pack is located: https://www.daz3d.com/the-universal-weapons-prop-and-poses-for-genesis-3-and-8

I have the "Laser Swords and Poses 2 for Genesis 3 & 8" pack and the sword from it, but can't find the others.

Any help would be appreciated.

The_Universal_Weapons_Prop_And_Poses_for_Genesis_3_and_8_16_Daz3D.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 214K

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

The product was packed incorrectly, most of the stuff for the props was put inside the Data folder.  I reported it and it was sent to the bug tracker 2 days ago.  Not sure how long it will take to be fixed.  The misplaced folder is:

\data\Mattymanx\Universal-Weapons-Prop\UWP-Files

If you move just that folder (not the 3 folders next to it) outside of Data to the Props folder they should work, but I haven't tried it yet.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,442

The Universal Weapons Prop loads the Laser Sword 3 or Laser Staff 2 using wearable presets (UWPP Add LSword 3 to UWP, UWPP Add LStaff2 to UWP). All the props, materials & presets associated with the actual weapons are common to all four sets of poses, so the PA uses Daz JSON links to refer to the (hidden) assets to avoid having to maintain four sets of identical files. He did the same with Laser Swords and Poses 2, but was linking to a visible Props folder, since you still had to load the base prop directly, but to different characters.

The Universal Weapons Prop takes on the load of being customized for each figure, then you simply add the weapon of choice. If you only want the weapon, load the non-parented UWPP-UWP and load the appropriate preset. Hide the UWP, or unparent the weapon and delete the UWP. If you move the data folder, all those linked presets won't work anymore.

I think it is a rather elegant solution to using shared assets, instead of replicating them every time they are used somewhere else.

• Ah, I see now.

Thanks! smiley

NorthOf45 said:

The Universal Weapons Prop loads the Laser Sword 3 or Laser Staff 2 using wearable presets (UWPP Add LSword 3 to UWP, UWPP Add LStaff2 to UWP). All the props, materials & presets associated with the actual weapons are common to all four sets of poses, so the PA uses Daz JSON links to refer to the (hidden) assets to avoid having to maintain four sets of identical files. He did the same with Laser Swords and Poses 2, but was linking to a visible Props folder, since you still had to load the base prop directly, but to different characters.

The Universal Weapons Prop takes on the load of being customized for each figure, then you simply add the weapon of choice. If you only want the weapon, load the non-parented UWPP-UWP and load the appropriate preset. Hide the UWP, or unparent the weapon and delete the UWP. If you move the data folder, all those linked presets won't work anymore.

I think it is a rather elegant solution to using shared assets, instead of replicating them every time they are used somewhere else.

Ah, that's interesting.  They do have metadata pointing to them.  I'll have to see if they work for me this way, since I'm converting them to Genesis 1, and therefore hierarchical poses won't work.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,442
    edited May 2020

All you would have to do is retrofit the Universal Weapons Prop to Genesis (once for the left hand, once for right, like with G3 and G8), and make new hierarchical pose presets from there. The weapon doesn't actually need to be part of it, just the UWP. The weapon would be added as a wearable preset to the UWP (again, like G3 and G8), since it would only need to properly parented and oriented, and would go along for the ride.

On a side note, how do you create a link for an asset if the asset is in a hidden folder? I guess you would have to copy/delete or move stuff and then edit the link, since it is just the path and file name in simple text.

Post edited by NorthOf45 on

Oh, it can be done, it's just more of a hassle.

The metadata does include the items in the Data folder, so I would think you could create a link from that.