Is there a way to make pants fit more naturally?

Hi. This is a different aspect of the same problem I just posted in a separate thread. I enjoy working on comics characters. But I have a deep-seated distaste for spandex so I try to make clothing that a character might actually wear on the street. This is DC's Hawkman character. His physical proportions are pretty much the same as Superman's and everyone else's. If he were wearing cargo pants that fit properly, they'd be somewhat baggy and hide the leg muscles. The G3M Sword of Time pants are the right choice on several counts, but do appear shrink-wrapped. I'd like to find a way to adjust the musculature on his thighs independently of his overall shape, if possible. 

Does anyone know of a workaround?

D-Former field.jpg
1057 x 643 - 147K

Comments

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

The most common way would be to use dforce, but not sure if it is an option or something you considered?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903

Clothes that are autofit will always follow shaping morphs, and in fact that’s the whole point. If you want to avoid that, you can do things like parenting them to the figure instead of fitting, and using dForce, possibly with the expansion/contraction ratio increased (?) so that they fit more loosely. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Try this but realize DForce often fails simply because the source mesh is modeled in a way that dForce is designed to handle well. (eg - The G8M TShirt that comes with the G8 Starter Essentials doesn't dForce well at all but the TShirt included with the Naval Uniform for G2M does dForce quite well.)

a) You make them oversized substantially. The PA usually creates a slider (and multiple sliders for specific parts of the clothing item) just for that purpose.

b) Make the garment model dynamic & set the surfaces of the garment to coillision layer 2. Set the human model to Static & use as collision layer 1. 

c) If there is a waistband/belt in the surfaces area for the garment set dynamic strength to 0, same for pockets and such that might (or do fall off on simulation). It's a multistep process of test simulation, adjust surfaces dynamics settings, test again. Tedious & repetitive.

d) Set the hair, eyelashes, enviroments/sets, all the extraneous stuff to invisible.

e) Simulate and repeat, adjusting Surfaces on the garment until that drape as want. Disclaimer: Some garments aren't going to work and many (most?) others are going to involve so many repeated and failed simulations they you're liable to give up given the amount of time involved for such poor or no results at all that you can use.

• Thanks for the feedback; I don't think I knew dForce would do that for non-dForce items. I'll definitely study it. Thanks a again  :)