Default Gf8 loading with preset morphs

From the DAZ forum database, I know this is a recuring issue. I'm loading a default basic (in this case) G8f character and it's loading with certain morphs preset.

I have taken the following steps:

Load G8f basic

Select it in scene

Go to Currently used in parameters (Hidden properties are shown).  Zero the morphs that are loading at 100% instead of zero.

In the settings for each morph, check that the default value is 0.0%

The figure now looks like it should.

Go to save as -> Support Asset -> Save Modified Assets

Close DS. Restart DS. Load G8f basic and... it still has the offending morphs set at 100%

What am I doing wrong?

I am aslo getting the Duplicate Formulas Found error warning. I have no idea if these issues are related and no idea how to remove the duplicates.

(By the way DAZ3d... isn't it about time you indicated WHERE the duplicate formulas are.. you found 'em, you therefore know where they are.. do tell !!!!)

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,351

The location of one of the duplicates is in the log file - Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File, search for Duplicate.

Are the things you are zeroing actually the ones that are not at their default values - they may be being driven by another property, which is the one that you should be zeroing and resaving. While in the Parameter Settings dialogue check the Controllers tab at the bottom.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

That's a problem with Daz Studio.  I've had characters I bought corrupt Genesis base characters, so that, in one case, every G8F loaded with elf ears.   The problem was only solved when I unistalled that character.  And then there are all the problems that Auto Face Enhancer caused.  Daz should not allow base figures to load with corruptions caused by vendor screw-ups like that.

Sevrin said:

That's a problem with Daz Studio.  I've had characters I bought corrupt Genesis base characters, so that, in one case, every G8F loaded with elf ears.   The problem was only solved when I unistalled that character.  And then there are all the problems that Auto Face Enhancer caused.  Daz should not allow base figures to load with corruptions caused by vendor screw-ups like that.

That is how the system works - a morph is given its default value unless that value is explicitly overridden. There isn't any way for DS toknow which defaults are correct and which are not

• hookflashhookflash Posts: 167
    Sevrin said:

What problems has AFE caused? I've got it installed and now I'm wondering if I should uninstall it. In any case, I agree with you: If Daz is designed in such a way that a single product from a single vendor can corrupt a user's entire content library, then that is a design flaw, imo. I've had it happen to me as well (multiple times, actually).

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

The location of one of the duplicates is in the log file - Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File, search for Duplicate.

Are the things you are zeroing actually the ones that are not at their default values - they may be being driven by another property, which is the one that you should be zeroing and resaving. While in the Parameter Settings dialogue check the Controllers tab at the bottom.

On the issue of Duplicate Formulas:

The log contains the following message:

2020-05-19 21:15:02.049 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(6870): Duplicate formula found linking RGlute Move UpDown&Side2Side 1 & CTRLMD_N_RGluteUpDownSide2Side1_n1 in
    C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/data/DAZ3D/Genesis8/Female/Morphs/[User Name]/Product/RGlute Move UpDown&Side2Side 1.dsf.

Firstly, there is no such path! How is it possible that the log is pointing to a path that does not exist?

There is a path:
    C:/Users/Public/Public Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/data/DAZ3D/Genesis8/Female/Morphs/[User Name]/Product/RGlute Move UpDown&Side2Side 1.dsf

This still leaves questions:
    1) Is it better to remove the file RGlute Move UpDown&Side2Side 1.dsf, or to try to edit it?
    2) How did the duplicate formulas get in to this .dsf file?
    3) How can I prevent it happening again?

On the issue of morph presets being loaded with default Gf8:

Indeed the parameters I was setting to zero did have controllers, which also had a master controller called "Enable TG4" which had the default value of 100%. "Enable TG4" itself has no controllers.
    However, when I set the default value of Enable TG4 to 0% and save ( Support Asset -> Save Modified Assets), then close DS and restart, then load Genesis 8 female Basic, it still has the morph set and the default value of Enable TG4 is back to 100% (as shown in the attached image).

So, how do I find out what is setting Enable TG4 back to 100% when it has no controllers?

PS: Wouldn't it be a great idea to have a popup that listed all primary controllers with the option of removing them or setting them to zero?

No controllers.PNG
    359 x 608 - 21K

Duplicate Formulae
    If you open a file browser and navigate to the Public Documents folder, then click in the breadcrumb trail in the addefss bar you will see that the literal folder name is Documents rather than Public Documents.

In the path you give, is [User Name]/Product/ literally what is there or are you substituting for your own name? If it is a morph you made yourself did you run ERC Freeze twice, without using ERC Bake between? That is likely to lead to duplicate formulas within a single file.

Non-zero defaults
    You might try running http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/metadata/list_products_used/start before trying to zero - that will give a list of all the currently active products, which may help to identify the culprit. If the issue is from a Daz product, did you install using Connect (that is, within Daz Studio)? The user save won't overwrite or replace the files from a Connect install (which is a drawback here) but you can copy the modified fiules over the ones in the /data/cloud/1_##### folder (and report the issue to techncial Support).

edited May 2020

Duplicate Formulae
    If you open a file browser and navigate to the Public Documents folder, then click in the breadcrumb trail in the addefss bar you will see that the literal folder name is Documents rather than Public Documents.

In the path you give, is [User Name]/Product/ literally what is there or are you substituting for your own name? If it is a morph you made yourself did you run ERC Freeze twice, without using ERC Bake between? That is likely to lead to duplicate formulas within a single file.

OK, so the path issue is a Windows 10 thing (Thank you Bill Gates!)

It is quite possible that I ran ERC Freeze twice without using ERC Bake between. Is there a DS manual anywhere which explains how to use these features correctly?

Aditional: That still leaves the question about what to do next. Delete the .dsf file or repair it? If the latter, then how?

Non-zero defaults
    You might try running http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/metadata/list_products_used/start before trying to zero - that will give a list of all the currently active products, which may help to identify the culprit. If the issue is from a Daz product, did you install using Connect (that is, within Daz Studio)? The user save won't overwrite or replace the files from a Connect install (which is a drawback here) but you can copy the modified fiules over the ones in the /data/cloud/1_##### folder (and report the issue to techncial Support).

So I downloaded the file "DB_List_Products_Used.dsa", but there are no instructions on how to use it. You say I should run the file but double clicking on the file does nothing. How do I run the file? (Again, a DS manual would be handy.)

Toon Generation 4 (TG4) is indeed a DAZ product, I downloaded and installed it with the DIM program.

Post edited by IsaacNewton on

Duplicate Formulae

OK, so the path issue is a Windows 10 thing (Thank you Bill Gates!)

It is quite possible that I ran ERC Freeze twice without using ERC Bake between. Is there a DS manual anywhere which explains how to use these features correctly?

Aditional: That still leaves the question about what to do next. Delete the .dsf file or repair it? If the latter, then how?

If the issue is multiple runs of ERC Freeze then I think it will still be loading the original freeze OK, just not whatever additons/changes you made for the second run. If so you should be able to bake that (right-click on the link in the Property Hierarchy pane) to turn it into independent values, make whatever chnages you wanted, and ERC Freeze that, then save the new version over the old (or use Save Modified - I am always wary of that in case it saves things I don't want changed).

Non-zero defaults

So I downloaded the file "DB_List_Products_Used.dsa", but there are no instructions on how to use it. You say I should run the file but double clicking on the file does nothing. How do I run the file? (Again, a DS manual would be handy.)

Toon Generation 4 (TG4) is indeed a DAZ product, I downloaded and installed it with the DIM program.

Download the script (from the link above the code) and, with the figure loaded, drag it into the DS Viewport.

edited May 2020

Duplicate formula issue:

"If the issue is multiple runs of ERC Freeze then I think it will still be loading the original freeze OK, just not whatever additons/changes you made for the second run. If so you should be able to bake that (right-click on the link in the Property Hierarchy pane) to turn it into independent values, make whatever chnages you wanted, and ERC Freeze that, then save the new version over the old (or use Save Modified - I am always wary of that in case it saves things I don't want changed)."

So, what if I just want to remove the changes entirely, rather than baking changes that I'm not happy with anyway? Is that possible?

Non-zero default issue.

"Download the script (from the link above the code) and, with the figure loaded, drag it into the DS Viewport."

I did that and nothing happened. No popup, no messages.

Duplicate formula issue:

"If the issue is multiple runs of ERC Freeze then I think it will still be loading the original freeze OK, just not whatever additons/changes you made for the second run. If so you should be able to bake that (right-click on the link in the Property Hierarchy pane) to turn it into independent values, make whatever chnages you wanted, and ERC Freeze that, then save the new version over the old (or use Save Modified - I am always wary of that in case it saves things I don't want changed)."

So, what if I just want to remove the changes entirely, rather than baking changes that I'm not happy with anyway? Is that possible?

Try resaving it.

Non-zero default issue.

"Download the script (from the link above the code) and, with the figure loaded, drag it into the DS Viewport."

I did that and nothing happened. No popup, no messages.

How do you install your content? Is it getting its metadata (categories and so on)?

Duplicate formula issue:

Try resaving it.

Resaving it? Not sure what you mean by that. I have saved it numerous times with no change. If you have a specific process in mind could you please give details.

Non-zero default issue

I always install content using DIM. Presumably Genesis 8 female has all the appropriate metadata when installed by DIM.

I meant resaving as an asset (or save as an asset with a new name).

OK, if the metadata is there then at the very least the script should be seeing Genesis 8 Starter Essentials - but I forgot to say you need to check the log file (Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File) for the output, or copy-and-paste to the ScriptIDE pane and click Execute, then read the results from the status area below the scripot. (I was confused as I have a version that goes to a dialogue, that I made from the sample a while back.)

I have loaded the "Default" Genesis 8 Female Basic figure from Genesis 8 Essentials. This unfortunately comes in with the Toon Generation 4 (TG4) morphs active (except for the head which is default Genesis 8 female). I have set the default values for all the TG4 dials to 0.0% in the settings panel and then saved (Save as -> Support Asset -> Save Modified Assets). However, when I reload the Genesis 8 Female Basic figure (after restarting DS), the figure still loads with the TG4 morphs active. The main problem seems to be that the "TG Enable" morph (the controller morph for all the other TG4 morphs) has it's default value reset to 100%. So the Save Modified Assets process either did not save the modified asset at 0% or there is another "Controller" somewhere which is switching it back to 100%. Note, I have Show Hidden checked but still cannot find anything that could reset the "TG Enable" to 100%, and in the Settings for this item, it shows that it has no controller morphs.

I ran the DB_List_Products_Used.dsa, as you indicated above and this does not indicate any TG morphs, as shown in the attached image. (the TG4 morphs in the Parameters panel are indicated with a red asterisk)

So, what can I try next to find the item which is loading the TG4 morphs along with the Genesis 8 Female default figure?

TG problem3.jpg
    1695 x 823 - 616K

Have you checked the controllers for those in the Paranmeter Settings dialogue?

One thing to check is that there isn't a phantom Connect install - find the Toon Generations 4 products in the Products tab of Smart Content, right-click on them, and if there's an Uninstall option instead of an Install option select the Uninstall.

edited May 2020

Have you checked the controllers for those in the Paranmeter Settings dialogue?

One thing to check is that there isn't a phantom Connect install - find the Toon Generations 4 products in the Products tab of Smart Content, right-click on them, and if there's an Uninstall option instead of an Install option select the Uninstall.

Yes. As I said, I set all the default values for all the dials and all the controller dials to 0.0%. However, the default value for "TG Enable" keeps getting set back to 100%

Checked that; there is only an Install option, no Uninstall. I have tried updating the metadata but that did nothing to change the situation.

Another thought: If I deleted the Toon Generation 4 Essentials pack from my runtime using DIM, would that also delete the TG4 morphs from my Genesis 8 Female Basic figure? If not, how could I do that? Then maybe after resetting the G8f default figure back to it's state before TG4 installation, I could reinstall the TG4 pack and hopefully TG4 would not be set to default 100%.

Yes, uninstalling will remove the sliders and the morphs - the list is generated dynamically. If theya re still there then there is a left over set of files lurking somewhere, which would explain why saving modified isn't helping.

Woohoo! That worked. Uninstalled TG4 essentials, started DS, loaded G8f basic and NO TG4 morphs. Reinstalled TG4 using DIM. Restarted DS and loaded G8f and....NO TG morphs at 100%.

Thanks for the help.

Now, I just have to crack the Duplicate Forumulas problem. I still wonder whether just deleting the .dsf file with the duplicate formulas will work, but worried that something else might not then work.

• PtropePtrope Posts: 681
    edited May 2020

Having the same problem with G3M - ALL of the G3M figures, just in the past day, are now loading with several facial morphs loaded, "angry," Happy" and "Pleased" expressions, mouths open, tongues curled, "Toon Generations adjust Age", Old Chap, Darius and Tween Ryan applied - none of these have been installed recently. I first noticed it on G3 Male, but then when I load any other G3M figure, these same dials are set on each one, in addition to the character it's supposed to be. It seems like a preset group of dials is being loaded from somewhere whenever a G3M character is chosen.

EDIT: after posting, I've found that it not only affects cahracters I've just loaded, it affects EVERY G3M character in a scene that has been saved prevously, as well, when I load the scene.

REALLY not happy, now ... where should I be looking for this mysterious "preset package" that's corrupted G3M?

Post edited by Ptrope on
    edited May 2020

It sounds like the problem I was having, possibly caused by inadvertantly misusing the ERC Freeze function (I wish there was a manual!). 

You could try going through the same process I did (thanks Richard); for each of the dials that has been activated check that it's default value is set to 0.0% and also check in the Controllers Panel (in the Settings popup) to see if the dial has Controllers. Follow through each controller dial (and any controllers they may have) and make sure the default values are set to 0.0% and then save the G3M base figure using Save As -> Support Asset -> Save Modified Assets.

Then reload the G3M figure and see if any of the presets are still applied. If so, then check which one(s) have had the default value reset from the 0.0% that you set them. Then maybe you will have an idea about which packages you need to uninstall and reinstall. Its a paper chase and could take a while, but hopefully you will get there in the end.

Or, if the list of packages is not so large, uninstall all of them and then reinstall all of them (probably good idea to close DS between these steps); it may be quicker.

Maybe Richard has some other suggestions?

• PtropePtrope Posts: 681
    edited May 2020

Attached screenshot combo shows how any G3M is now loading (this is the base G3M with Growing Up textures on it). I can "0" the figure and then add a specific character by clicking on that figure's Shapes, but they're ALL coming in with these dials set to these values, and whatever the selected character's dials are supposed to be, added. NOT pretty.

Since taking the screen shots, I uninstalled Toon Generations 2, so anything affected by "Adjust Age" seems to have been shut off, but that still leaves the expressions, hand poses, various head morphs, and tongue morphs. Is there a way to find out what morph controls in the pane belong to what sets?

It's like there's something in the database that says, "Load G3M, apply this set of morphs and poses, then apply any character settings that aren't in this set." Should I try resetting the database and reimporting metadata, or will I need to reinstall ALL my assets if I do that? This is only annoying if I am loading a new character in a blank scene, but if I load a prior scene I've saved and it screws up every G3M-based character in it, I'm not sure how I'm going to know what dials need to be fixed and what ones I had saved intentionally.

EDIT: It also occurred to me that this problem started happening after Studio had crashed during a simulation, and when I restarted it, my workspace had defaulted back to as-installed state.

EDIT 2: Reset the database and re-imported all the metadata. No change angry

EDIT 3: Uninstalled Genesis 3 Starter Essentials Male and reinstalled. Problem persists. WHERE is it getting these settings from?

Michael 7 Load 000.jpg
    2106 x 1029 - 479K
    Post edited by Ptrope on
  • Here is what I've done for my G8.1F base to be loaded with an offending character morph.

1. Find the offending morph folder in \data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\XXX

2. Go to the folder and find CTRL*.dsf file. Extract the file with 7z or winrar as it's a archived file.

3. In the extracted file, find and replace

"modifier_library" : [
            {

"channel" : {
                    "id" : "value",
                    "type" : "float",
                    "name" : "Value",
                    "value" : 1, // <--- this should be zero

4. Change name of the modified file back to original CTRL*.dsf and now problem was resolved when DS was restarted.

• i simply compared with other file morphs and find a error.

},

"label" : "Jodie Holmes Morphs V20",

"auto_follow" : true,

"value" : 1,

"min" : -1,

"max" : 1,

"clamped" : true,

"display_as_percent" : true,

"step_size" : 0.01

The correct is:

i simply compared with other file morphs and find a error.

},

"label" : "Jodie Holmes Morphs V20",

"auto_follow" : true,

"value" : 0,

"min" : 0,

"max" : 1,

"clamped" : true,

"display_as_percent" : true,

"step_size" : 0.01

Just edit the file with notepad and save, reload the figure in a clean scene.