Addressing some bloat in my pose library...

I wanted to ask if there's a recommended way to strip out portions of various Pose Sets? For example, a set included the base poses and then a second full set of versions of each pose minutely tweaked for Karen. I work almost exclusively with customized characters so the Karen-based poses are just taking up space on my hard drive that I need for more new Daz products (true story).

Seems like there's probably more to it than just delete the files individually? Maybe I'm just nervous I'll break something.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

Poses are one of the few instances where everything is in the one file, so you can just delete the extra set if you like.  They'll be added back if you update the product, however.  I use Categories to organize my content (in my own structure, outside of the Default structure), so I just move things like that into a junk category (I use ZZZjunk so it comes last in the list).  Pose files are small, so it doesn't take up much disk space to leave them.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    edited May 2020

I usually put the G8F poses in the main pose folder, then any specific version morphs in a subfolder inside that myself. Probably never use them, but they take up not much space as @fixmypcmike says, so keep em around on the 1% chance I might use them lol.

Post edited by TheKD on
  • gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

I was considering stripping my installs of poses for other generations as well.  I appreciate that vendors include multiple generations, but I am only using one.  However fixmypcmike is one of the veterans, that if he states, he has left it alone - I won't concern myself with.

I would be curious about removing the extra generation versions for hairs and such though.

gitika1 said:

I was considering stripping my installs of poses for other generations as well.  I appreciate that vendors include multiple generations, but I am only using one.  However fixmypcmike is one of the veterans, that if he states, he has left it alone - I won't concern myself with.

I would be curious about removing the extra generation versions for hairs and such though.

It's possible that the geometries for hair and clothing for an extra generation could be sizable, but I'd think the textures account for the vast majority of the disk space, and the different generations probably use the same textures.  I'm going to take a look at my content folder and see how big the geometries get.

Here are some rough numbers.  These are for my "My Daz 3D Library", so it's only items installed with DIM.  The total size is 388.3GB and 618993 files, so the average file size is 658KB.  The Textures folder is 250GB (64% of the total), 139195 files, avg size 1883KB (about 3x as large).  The Data folder is 83.3GB (21%), 121599 files, avg size 718KB.

When you take out those two folders, you have 55GB (14%) for everything else.  30.7GB (8%) is Poser-format files, and 24.3GB (6%) is Daz Studio-format files.  The Textures folder is used for both, but the Poser-format content is mostly older items, which tended to have smaller textures.  The Data folder is just for DS-format content.  Not everything has versions for multiple figures, so I'm just going to toss out a number and say we could get rid of 10% of the DS-format files and their Data.  That's about 10.8GB. Looking at products that have a lot of textures, RiverSoftArt's now-crowd products have 72 textures for each figure or pair of figures; the textures for one of those products is 10-17GB.  For large individual textures, HDRI's can be 100MB each in some cases.

Based on this, I would think you could save more disk space by getting rid of some large products or batch-resizing some textures (not much work in either case) then you could by removing items for generations you don't use in multi-generation products (which involves deleting both the user-facing files and the Data files for them, a potentially time-consuming process).  If you save your DIM zips on an external drive you can easily reinstall a product or restore the full-size textures when you need them.