Auto-Fit List list of items

hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649

Hi, 

I'm trying to fit boots made for Genesis 8 Male onto a Genesis 8 Female. 

When I check that video (at timeline 06:52)

The guy has a long list in his Auto-Fit Window when choosing : "What type of item is it?" and can choose footwear in this case. 

I just have None, Dresses > Knee-Length, Full Body, or short/Shoulder length hair. And that's all. That's quiet a short list compare to that ? And none of those options helped me to fit shoes properly. 

Weird thing : when the shoes load they are actually in the proper position. But then the Auto-Fit Window instantly comes up. And it's only after the fit is done that the shoes are linked/rigged but in a very wrong position.
Could someone please advise ? 

Post edited by hansolocambo on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

It's odd that G8 seems to come with fewer projection templates that the earlier Genesis bases.

As for the boots, often they work better if you cancel the autofit window and just parent them to the feet (assuming they load as two separate items).

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,393

The figure used in the video is Michael 6, not G8M. The list of templates included with the base was different, and the person doing the tutorial may own products which add extra templates.

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798

Well, I'd try autofitting with the "full body" setting first to see how well it does, but autofit on shoes often doesn't work well at all.

Another thing you could try, since you're trying to use a G8M item on a G8F and they both have the same bones in their feet is to tell Daz it was actually made for G8F. This works well on hair, but I've never tried it on shoes. What you do is load the shoes without (auto)fitting them to your character, then choose "Edit > Object > Scene Identification" from the menu. By "Preferred Base," click the [...] button and choose G8F from the list. Once you've done that, fit the shoes to your character. It won't prompt you to autofit, because it now thinks they're G8F shoes.

I'm in mid-render right now, otherwise I'd try it myself.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,442
  • chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798
    edited May 2020

OK, my render has finished and I've been able to try using the Scene Identification trick to fit some G8M shoes to a G8F. I don't have any elaborate G8M footwear to try out (I'm mainly a G3F and G2M shop), so I tried using the sandals from the dforce Toga Outfit because I figured that the thin straps would really show up any distortion, and be unfogiving of any wrongness in the shape.

The Scene Identification trick does a horrible job. I guess, if it didn't, Daz wouldn't be able to sell the kit NorthOf45 links to.

On the plus side, autofitting as a full body G8M item does a great job, with just a little bit of distortion to the soles.

I guess we've got conditioned by previous generations of autofit clones to expect a specific clone for each type of clothing - footwear, pants, shirt, etc. - and only use the full body one for, well, full body items. But with G8 they've swept away all that. "Full body" now means a normal item that fits to the body (somewhere), that doesn't hang down like long hair or a skirt. They should probably have called it something else.

sceneid.jpg
    785 x 609 - 75K
    autofit.jpg
    770 x 604 - 71K
    Post edited by chris-2599934 on
  • hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited May 2020

@chris-2599934

Thanks for this nice step-by-step idea. Scene identification gives results similar to Auto-Fit originally made for G3F. I guess with a bit of Mesh Grabber or (probably) better a morph done with GoZ in ZBrush, this should do the trick. Though JCM of the boots don't behave properly at all. I miss some rigging/weighing knowledge to make all that work properly. If I had that knowledge I'd model my own boots ;) (Really have to work on that rigging own assets part...)

I managed to get a decent result using [...] item originally made for : "Genesis 3 Female". But if the original boots for boots for G8M bend decently well (Engineer Boots for Genesis 8 Male(s)) , when Auto-fitted, all JCM (if there were any in the original product ?) and the weighing isn't as good as the original.

@NorthOf45

Genesis 8 Cross-Figure Resource Kit seems a bit pricy to fit 17$ boots. It would take my virtual boots at 45$ which is more than I'd put in real shoes :) But it seems like an excellent tool if one were to create assets to sell on stores I guess. I'll have a look into that, sounds like an excellent option, thanks for the tip. I guess this tool does what we can do straight from within DAZ interface. But it ain't simple to figure it out..

@Fixmypcmike  @Leana 

Damn you're right, I didn't even think about that. Auto-Fit menu is different and lighter because it's the new G8 Auto-Fit. Thanks for pointing that out. 

I'm building my own clothes/shoes, etc in MarvelousD/ZBrush/Maya/RizomUV/SubstanceP. This is my job so to say. No limits there I can do more or less anything. But I need to figure out how to rig, define weights, define JCM and then save Assets properly (hard to find good tutorials about all that) and I guess (I hope !)  I'll find those boots issue trivial in a few weeks ;) 

Thanks all for your help. I think I'm gonna fit them boots with G3F compatibility. Then morph them in ZBrush to position them properly. Then figure out how to define JCM and weighing. If I can do all that, then it will be a perfect transfer of a G8M asset onto G8M. And a good first step into building one's own assets. 

Cheers.

edited May 2020

@Fixmypcmike

As for the boots, often they work better if you cancel the autofit window and just parent them to the feet (assuming they load as two separate items).

Those boots load as separate left-right items. However if you were to use shoes that do not come as separate items, you could still do it : 

- load the shoes once

- Use the Geometry Editor > Selection Mode > Lasso, to select one of the shoes, let's say the left one. 

- Right Click in the viewport : Geometry Editing > Delete Selected Polygon(s)

- Then load the shoes again. And delete polygons of the right shoe this time. This way you used one asset with both shoes to create two assets with only one shoe in each.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985
    edited May 2020

I tried autofitting the G8M Toga Outfit sandals to G8F and I didn't have any fitting issues.  I just left type to "none".  Tried a few other loafer type shoes and even a calf height boot with no issues either.  This was with DS 4.12.1.115 beta. 

G8M Shoe fit to G8F.JPG
    1043 x 944 - 296K
    shoe 2.JPG
    1043 x 944 - 233K
    shoe 3.JPG
    1043 x 944 - 301K
    Post edited by Lindsey on
    edited May 2020
    Lindsey said:

I tried autofitting the G8M Toga Outfit sandals to G8F and I didn't have any fitting issues.  I just left type to "none".  Tried a few other loafer type shoes and even a calf height boot with no issues either.  This was with DS 4.12.1.115 beta. 

I tried tons of combinations in the Auto-Fit yesterday and also those you mentioned. And nothing worked except the "item originally made for" Genesis 3 Female, that gave the best result (though unusable).

I guess it all depends on the asset then, and how it's been rigged/weighed.