Drive lost - how to tell DIM that I need to start from scratch

I lost my hard drive that had My Library on it.  The DIM still lists everything as installed.  How do I tell it that I need to reinstall everything again?

Dana

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

The Manifest folder tells DIM what it has installed and where -- delete the files there (or move them somewhere else just in case) and DIM will see everything as uninstalled

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,449

That is, as I recall, in the Public Documents folder/Daz Install Manager/Manifests/ by default

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,178

Thank you both!  I'll give this a try later!

Dana

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,184

I had an external drive go back on a Windows laptop I play with a bit. After several unsuccessful attempts at stopping DIM from looking at drive D:, I finally edited the Registry after doing a full uninstall. It works now.

I haven't had problems with the DIM.  It's just that the drive that contained my library (thus, all my DAZ content) failed, and the techs haven't been able to recover it.  

Dana

edited May 2020

After I followed these instrucions, the shop called and said they finally managed to get the data off the drive.  It was more than a week they were trying, I just figured it was a lost cause.  So...now I have the whole thing back.  Am I stuck, having to just let the DIM download and install these things over again, or is there a way to tell it I got them?  I deleted the files in that folder.  With "Shift + Delete".    indecision    I should have just moved them somewhere.  It was a lot of files, though.   The DIM is a database of sorts.  It would be better if it just had a column in the record that showed as installed.  It would be a lot easier on your system than moving files around like that.

Dana

Post edited by DanaTA on

Any chance you have a backup that might have the manifest files?   When you download a zip it downloads a .dsx for each one, which won't have the install information but could be used to trick DIM into seeing them as installed, but I cn't think of any easy way to create all those .dsx files without downloading the .zip's.

Okay, here's an idea.  If DIM is downloading a file and the download is interrupted there's a partial file in the downloads folder, so that you can restart the download and it will resume where it left off.  It will have a name like:

IM00007639-01_DarkMatterV4A4.zip.{328511f8-34ff-125c-13db-9d3669448f3c}.part

Remove everything after the first period and change it to dsx and put it in the manifestfiles folder, and DIM will think it's been installed.  It's a hassle, but if you sort your "Ready to Download" tab by file size you can just do it for the largest files.  Once you've gotten it down to a manageable size you can download the smaller ones.  You'll still have problems if you need to uninstall something, but at least DIM will think everything is installed.

Thanks!  I will consider these options.  I have plenty of bandwidth, I just dread the time it will consume to just reinstall everything.  I've been doing this since about 2007, 2008.  surprise  But I haven't done much rendering in the past two years or so.

Dana

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

This is why backup files, not on the cloud, are a good practice.