iRay rendering has gone missing

Just recently, any attempt to render in iRay fails.  I can render in Open GL, Intermediate OpenGL, and 3Delight.  I have uninstalled Daz3D and reinstalled it. I have also installed the latest driver for my card (GeForce 760GTX).  Any idea what may be going on here?  I am running Daz3D 4.12.1 64-bit, Windows 10 64-bit, and have installed the latest NVidia driver for my video card.  I am stumped here.  The render starts, says render complete, then pops up an empty box.  Any ideas here?  I have also posted a trouble ticket, but I was hoping that maybe someone has had this happen and knows what is going on.

Comments

• I have the same problem. It started when I installed the latest upgrade of Daz Studio, 4.12.1.117. Until then renders worked fine. And no hardware or drivers are changed. 

I have also posted a ticket, but have heard nothing so far. 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,393

And no hardware or drivers are changed.

The latest version of DS has a minimum version required for drivers, so you should try updating them

• seamanqseamanq Posts: 29

I updated the drivers.  Still no love.  When I went to advanced rendered settings and turned CPU on, it started doing iRay rendering, but when i turned my hardware monitor on, I could see that I was getting 100% activity across all 16 cores of my Intel Xeon CPU, however there was 0% activity on the GPU, which definitely suggests that the video card is not doing anything towards rendering.

• @jan_8b323741 An update of the drivers helped me. Now it works. Thank you very much. I wish that DAZ had shared that information. 

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    seamanq said:

however there was 0% activity on the GPU, which definitely suggests that the video card is not doing anything towards rendering.

The monitor by default only shows the standard use of the graphics card's GPU. What Iray is using is the card's CUDA cores. There's an option somewhere in the monitor to switch the card so you are seeing the CUDA activity.

• Wallace3DWallace3D Posts: 166
    edited May 2020

SO I have the latest Driver 442.92 and notice that the latest Daz release totally ignores the GPU for rendering. in fact when I tell it to ONLY use the GPU's the render comes out Black. the Program is ONLY using CPU

What version Driver worked for Y'all??

To add to this. Other parts of Daz Like Dforce are using the GPU with out issue.. it is JUST the rendering

Post edited by Wallace3D on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    Wallace3D said:

SO I have the latest Driver 442.92 and notice that the latest Daz release totally ignores the GPU for rendering. in fact when I tell it to ONLY use the GPU's the render comes out Black. the Program is ONLY using CPU

Every now and then one of the shiny new NVidia drivers turns out to be a bit glitchy with the DAZ|Studio/Iray combination. The only solution (until a fix is released) is to go back a version or two and see if that one works.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,055

this latest one (Nvidia driver) screws Shadowplay for me too, you have to manually start ingame capture in Geforce experience, Game capture has a yellow triangle by it in settings and won't work using alt f9.

ironically I was trying to capture DAZ studio too and Win10 Windows key G doesn't see it as a game.

edited May 2020

ditto

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    Wallace3D said:

Every now and then one of the shiny new NVidia drivers turns out to be a bit glitchy with the DAZ|Studio/Iray combination. The only solution (until a fix is released) is to go back a version or two and see if that one works.

NOpe. it has nothing to do with the Drivers.

It has everything to do with the New Daz not compressing the textures which uses up all the VRAM

I slowly built a scene and rendered with the GPU until I reached a terrible limit to my scene.  Scenes that Used my GPU's on the older version of Daz 4.12.1 can no longer render with GPU unless I strip it WAAAY down to practically nothing. and this does not even involve a genisis character. this is just a Scene that uses lots of textures.

Rendering in NVIDIA IrayCompiling Shaders - 0/2Rendering imageRendering...Iray (Statistics) : Geometry memory consumption: 226.229 MiB (device 0), 0.000 B (host)Iray (Statistics) : Geometry memory consumption: 226.229 MiB (device 1), 0.000 B (host)Iray (Statistics) : Texture memory consumption: 5.321 GiB for 691 bitmaps (device 0)Iray (Statistics) : Texture memory consumption: 5.321 GiB for 691 bitmaps (device 1)Iray (Statistics) : Lights memory consumption: 34.304 MiB (device 0)Iray (Statistics) : Lights memory consumption: 34.304 MiB (device 1)Iray (Statistics) : Material measurement memory consumption: 0.000 B (GPU)Iray (Statistics) : PTX code (252.315 KiB) for SM 6.1 generated in 0.226sIray (Statistics) : Materials memory consumption: 6.395 MiB (GPU)Iray (Statistics) : PTX code (252.315 KiB) for SM 6.1 generated in 0.000sIray (Iteration) : 1Iray (Canvas) : Render target canvas was written.Iray (Iteration) : 2Iray (Iteration) : 3Iray (Iteration) : 4Iray (Iteration) : 6Iray (Iteration) : 8Iray (Iteration) : 12Iray (Iteration) : 16

OKay I take that back.. the Texture compression is working. I set my threshold to Med = 256 and High 512 and was able to render the scene

the scene is Urban Future 5 and 6 together with some props. -- again no issue with this scene in The Prior release.. just this latest one :P 

Okay some Further testing.

I loaded a simple scene that has 30 textures

Rendering in NVIDIA IrayCompiling Shaders - 0/1Rendering imageRendering...Iray (Statistics) : Geometry memory consumption: 17.600 MiB (device 1), 0.000 B (host)Iray (Statistics) : Geometry memory consumption: 17.600 MiB (device 0), 0.000 B (host)Iray (Statistics) : Texture memory consumption: 184.078 MiB for 30 bitmaps (device 1)Iray (Statistics) : Texture memory consumption: 184.078 MiB for 30 bitmaps (device 0)Iray (Statistics) : Lights memory consumption: 196.000 B (device 1)Iray (Statistics) : Lights memory consumption: 196.000 B (device 0)Iray (Statistics) : Material measurement memory consumption: 0.000 B (GPU)Iray (Statistics) : Materials memory consumption: 170.797 KiB (GPU)

in that same scene I loaded the same props that uses the same 30 textures and the Materials consumption doubled.

Rendering in NVIDIA IrayCompiling Shaders - 0/1Rendering imageRendering...Iray (Statistics) : Geometry memory consumption: 35.199 MiB (device 0), 0.000 B (host)Iray (Statistics) : Geometry memory consumption: 35.199 MiB (device 1), 0.000 B (host)Iray (Statistics) : Texture memory consumption: 184.078 MiB for 30 bitmaps (device 0)Iray (Statistics) : Texture memory consumption: 184.078 MiB for 30 bitmaps (device 1)Iray (Statistics) : Lights memory consumption: 196.000 B (device 1)Iray (Statistics) : Lights memory consumption: 196.000 B (device 0)Iray (Statistics) : Material measurement memory consumption: 0.000 B (GPU)Iray (Statistics) : Materials memory consumption: 325.641 KiB (GPU)

And that I beleive is the problem as to why the VRAM gets used up so much faster than the previose version

Didn't the last version only load the texture once?

I don't have the older version to test if it Loads the same tuxture multiple times like this new Version

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

It is the renderer that uncompress textures to a format it prefers.

• Can anyone tell me where I can download an earlier version of Daz Srudio as IM having the same problem thanks.

seamanq said:

however there was 0% activity on the GPU, which definitely suggests that the video card is not doing anything towards rendering.

The monitor by default only shows the standard use of the graphics card's GPU. What Iray is using is the card's CUDA cores. There's an option somewhere in the monitor to switch the card so you are seeing the CUDA activity.

Maybe true, but not in my case.  Before this happened, whenever I ran renders and it was using GPU, I was showing up to 100% utilization of the GPU.  This is using the third-party HW monitor called CPUID HWMonitor. Now, when I turn GPU and CPU on, it shows CPU at 100% and GPU at 0%. So before, when GPU rendering was working, it was showing in CPUID HWMonitor. Now, when GPU is not rendering, it is showing zero utilization in CPUID HWMonitor.

Wallace3D said:
    Wallace3D said:

I slowly built a scene and rendered with the GPU until I reached a terrible limit to my scene.  Scenes that Used my GPU's on the older version of Daz 4.12.1 can no longer render with GPU unless I strip it WAAAY down to practically nothing. and this does not even involve a genisis character. this is just a Scene that uses lots of textures.

It was even worse with me.  A primitive cylinder and primitive cube would not render at all in GPU.  Period.  No rendering of any kind, not just slow.  Everything I am hearing suggests that it is due to my version of Daz3D which is 4.12.1.117 (64-bit).

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,393

Can anyone tell me where I can download an earlier version of Daz Srudio as IM having the same problem thanks.

Only the latest version is available. You can try opening a support ticket to ask them if they can provide you with an older version.

so it does not even work on CPU with your card unticked?

It works on CPU just fine with or without the GPU checked.  If I said differently earlier I was wrong.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@seamanq

I think you will find CPU-Z to be better for monitoring GPU conditions. It would help if you specified which driver version you installed. "Latest driver", or "latest driver for my card" isn't helpful because:

1. "latest drivers" can change rapidily, and aren't always a bugless driver.

2> What people think is the latest driver.

3. Your GPU may also not be supported by Iray any longer.

You will be best served by loading the minimum driver specified for the Iray version incorporated your Studio version. You can find that info linked below.

@jan_8b323741 "@jan_8b323741 An update of the drivers helped me. Now it works. Thank you very much. I wish that DAZ had shared that information. "

DAZ does share that information, it's typically found in the https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/335016/daz-studio-pro-4-12-nvidia-iray#latest  thread.