Photoreal renders using Iray crashes Studio

In the last few day I have run across a problem where Daz Studio crashes whenever I try to render a using the photo real setting under Iray. This is the error I am getting.

DAZStudio.exe caused ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION in module "C:\Windows\system32\nvoptix.dll" at 0033:00000000633D1C81, optixQueryFunctionTable()+6641802 byte(s)

Comments

• RaxRax Posts: 17

Now it seems that even the Interactive mode is not working in Iray and it hangs up to a point where it causes my cpu to overheat and crash. Any word on why this is happening, and before anyone asks yes my NVIDIA driver is up to date. 

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104

The error is pointing to the nVidia driver and the Optix function which is now built into the driver and not switchable in Studio. Try a lower number driver and see if that fixes it and make sure it is the Sudio and not the game driver.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

Studio drivers and Game drivers of equivalent number are the same driver.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104
    fastbike1 said:

Studio drivers and Game drivers of equivalent number are the same driver.

Then why does nVidia recommend the Studio drivers for Iray and not the gaming ones? There are parts of the Studio driver turned off in the Gaming driver to improve game play.

There is no seperate studio driver for the Windows 7, so that is not an option for me. This problem just started in last few weeks and it could be because of the NVIDIA driver update or something in the Studio update, so unless I can roll back the card drivers or get an older version of studio I just can't use it for now.Thanks for the help though.

Update and possible fix for this problem, I rolled back the NVIDIA drivers to 442.74 (the March update) and the rendering works like it is supposed to. So to anyone having a siimilar problem running with the April driver update download the last one and install it.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

It's better to get drivers straight from nvidia, rather than use the ones windows update grabs usually.

Game ready and studio drivers of the same number are the exact same. Game ready drivers update more frequently to fix bugs in current games, studio driver don't need to do that, so only update when it's more of a unerversal change, not a change just for a specific game.

TheKD said:

It's better to get drivers straight from nvidia, rather than use the ones windows update grabs usually.

Game ready and studio drivers of the same number are the exact same. Game ready drivers update more frequently to fix bugs in current games, studio driver don't need to do that, so only update when it's more of a unerversal change, not a change just for a specific game.

I run Windows 7 so there is no Studio driver available from NVIDIA, it is just the Game ready drivers. The only reason I even knew about the different drivers was because of what a previous poster said and it made me look at the manual search list on NVIDIA's website. I update my drivers through NVIDIA's software when it automatically informs me that there is an update, which I only notice when the icon messages me. I updated it late this time but, clearly this was one of those times when I should have left well enought alone.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@rax_4ce6762732 "I update my drivers through NVIDIA's software when it automatically informs me that there is an update,"

Stop doing that. Don't update your Nvidia driver unless you have a specific reason, such as a new version of Iray. Nvidia drivers are frequently update for specific games and have a habit of being buggy for other uses. It is extremely unlikely that a fix for a game will be necessary for Studio or applications. If t hasn't been a problem, don't make a new one e.g. your example here.

• Wallace3DWallace3D Posts: 166
    fastbike1 said:

@rax_4ce6762732 "I update my drivers through NVIDIA's software when it automatically informs me that there is an update,"

Stop doing that. Don't update your Nvidia driver unless you have a specific reason, such as a new version of Iray. Nvidia drivers are frequently update for specific games and have a habit of being buggy for other uses. It is extremely unlikely that a fix for a game will be necessary for Studio or applications. If t hasn't been a problem, don't make a new one e.g. your example here.

Always Update your Drivers. lots of bug fixes

fastbike1 said:

I have not had many problems with NVIDIA updates when using other programs and from what I am experiencing a lot of this has more to do with the Daz Studio update than a strictly NVIDIA problem. I rolled back the dirvers and Studio is still hanging on renders and crashing when I try to open it. Cinema 4d and all my Adobe programs seem to be working fine, so this probably is not soley a diriver issue.