Daz Studio crashing whenever I tried to open or load anything

Suddenly today, for no discernible reason, Daz Studio suddenly crashes no matter what file I try to open, or no matter what product I try to load into a new scene.

I have not changed anything on my computer since last night when I was using DS just fine—until it crashed the entire computer and I gave up and went to bed.

Today I got up, opened DS, tried to load the file I was working on last night. The little dropdown progress window dropped down, then disappeared back up, then dropped down again, and then...GONE. DS just disappeared. This happened several times. Then I tried just opening DS, picking a product at random in Smart Content to load into a blank scene. GONE. Crash. I tried this several times with sever different products. Boom. GONE.

I have since tried everything I know to get it working. I did a full "Reset Database," exporting User Data. That went as expected. Then I did a full reimport of all metadata. That went as expected. I quit DS. I restarted the computer. I restarted DS. All Smart Content appears as expected. Tried to load a car: BOOM! Gone.

Here are the last few lines of the dblog.txt, if they will do any good for anyone to help me figure out what is going on:

========START dblog.txt EXCERPT========

LOG:  database system shutdown was interrupted; last known up at 2020-05-07 15:39:28 CDT
FATAL:  the database system is starting up
LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
LOG:  redo starts at 0/9C882018
LOG:  record with zero length at 0/A37FAA00
LOG:  redo done at 0/A37F9ED0
LOG:  last completed transaction was at log time 2020-05-07 15:37:49.271776-05
LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
LOG:  autovacuum launcher started
LOG:  received smart shutdown request
LOG:  autovacuum launcher shutting down
LOG:  shutting down
LOG:  database system is shut down
LOG:  database system was shut down at 2020-05-07 16:06:41 CDT
LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
LOG:  autovacuum launcher started
FATAL:  pg_hba.conf rejects connection for host "[local]", user "xxxxxxxxxxxx", database "postgres", SSL off

========END dblog.txt EXCERPT========

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,454

How about the actual DS log?

• mavantemavante Posts: 734

How about the actual DS log?

Thanks for the pointer, Richard. I opened it, and found line after line after line about missing files. Something—I don't know what right now, and am unable to go trying to track it down at the moment—must have royally corrupted my content directory.

It's pretty weird to me that resetting the database, and then reimporting all metadata, gave no indication that any such problem existed. But the timestamps bracketing the missing-file notices in the log showed that those came after I had reset and reimported.

In any case, I am restoring my entire content directory from the last backup that was done when I know it was working yesterday. That will be running until sometime in the wee hours tomorrow. I hope that will fix this mess.

edited May 2020

So it took all night and most of the day to completely restore my content library from my Time Machine backup, from when I know Daz was working fine, which was two days ago.

It finished about half an hour ago. I opened Daz Studio. It opened fine. It appeared that all my Smart Content was there. I didn't try to load anything or open a file I've worked on. I decided to start easy, so I chose Create>Primitive, and selected a Sphere, all with defaults.

DS thought a moment, and then instantly disappeared. This time I got a Finder notice that Daz had unexpectedly quit.

I restarted it. I tried to create a Plane. DS thought a moment, and then instantly disappeared.

I give up at this point. I have no idea what to do. The DS log file from today is attached.

txt
    txt
    log.txt
    Post edited by mavante on

I would assume this is the place it goes wrong, but unfortunately it doesn't give much information:

2020-05-08 17:47:20.768 WARNING: Qt has caught an exception thrown from an event handler. Throwing
    exceptions from an event handler is not supported in Qt. You must
    reimplement QApplication::notify() and catch all exceptions there.

2020-05-08 17:47:20.774 WARNING: Qt has caught an exception thrown from an event handler. Throwing

2020-05-08 17:47:20.774 Unhandled exception: Unknown Exception. DAZ Studio must now shut down.

Do you get a Daz Studio error dialogue on clse, or does it go straight to desktop/Apple crash report?

I would assume this is the place it goes wrong, but unfortunately it doesn't give much information:

2020-05-08 17:47:20.768 WARNING: Qt has caught an exception thrown from an event handler. Throwing

2020-05-08 17:47:20.774 WARNING: Qt has caught an exception thrown from an event handler. Throwing

2020-05-08 17:47:20.774 Unhandled exception: Unknown Exception. DAZ Studio must now shut down.

Do you get a Daz Studio error dialogue on clse, or does it go straight to desktop/Apple crash report?

It goes straight to Desktop. No DS error dialoge at all. It just suddenly disappears completely. I stopped trying three days ago and submitted a tech help ticket. I received a notice that my ticket was received, but no one from tech has replied with any help or suggestions.

My best recollection, after about five attempts three or four days ago, is that I didn't even get an Apple "Application Daz Studio has unexpectedly quit" notice most of those times. Nothing. I think (but wouldn't want to be quoted) that the last two times I tried to use DS, and only tried to create a primitive rather than trying to open a file or load a content product, that I did get a Finder notice.

edited May 2020

Update: I remembered that at some point last year I had used DIM to install one of the public builds of 4.12 before it was released. So I figured I would try it and see what happened.

Before it loaded fully, I got an alert box (see first attached image). I clicked "OK" and the program opened. I selected the "About" menu, and turns out it is 4.12.0.67. (Second attached image.)

I created a primitive, selected a cube, and it appeared in the scene. No instant crash.

My Smart Content had no thumbnails, and only a small fraction of my content was there. I have no idea whether the public build uses its own separate database or not. Like pretty much everything associated with Daz, it's all guesswork.

I'm not sure exactly what this test with the 4.12.0.67 says about the issues with 4.11.0.383—which is what I have been using that suddenly started instantly crashing. I can only surmise from this, though, that the problem is with that program itself, or with its links to the Mac OS system. I don't know. Like pretty much everything associated with Daz, it's all guesswork. (Did I already mention that? Well, that's okay; it bears repeating.)

Screen Shot 1.png
    638 x 475 - 466K
    Screen Shot 2.png
    642 x 484 - 553K

I've a feeling the incomplete loading of data files relates to a third-party plug-in - you could try disabling those and see what happens. There is a script that will help http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/plugins/plugins_load_config/start .

Both versions of DS use the same database (by default) but they do have separate lists of content dirctories, so that may be your issue.

I've a feeling the incomplete loading of data files relates to a third-party plug-in - you could try disabling those and see what happens. There is a script that will help http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/plugins/plugins_load_config/start .

Both versions of DS use the same database (by default) but they do have separate lists of content dirctories, so that may be your issue.

Thanks. I will look at both issues and disable plug-ins.

Meanwhile: What does the file [Content Directory]/Runtime/Support/UserData_1.dsx contain or monitor or manage? From my Time Machine backups, it seems that may have changed just before the trouble in 4.11 started, of it instantly crashing when trying to load or create anything.

I downloaded and installed the script. I started DS 4.11 and ran the script. I quit DS 4.11, then restarted it, as the script instructed. I tried to create a plane, default settings. After about two seconds of nothing, DS instantly disappeared. Got attached Finder notification.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 11.59.17 AM.png
    434 x 160 - 26K

I opened the 4.12 Public Build version again, and in Content Directory Manager it lists my main content library, which is on an external drive, exactly as in 4.11, so I don't know what you mean.

While in 4.12 Public Build, I did a Reimport Metadata and Metadata Queue. It was very different than in 4.11, as it did not open a new window with a long list of products to reimport metadata for. It just had an "All Products" checkmark, which I left checked, and ran it.

After it ran that, Smart Content did show the correct number of installed products (same as 4.11), but, again, all products had the dreaded quesion-mark generic icon instead of the product icons.

The products I opened to spot check listed their included files, with file names, but no image/icon. No matter what product file I tried to load into a scene, DS put up a notice saying the file didn't exist (or couldn't be found, or something to that effect).

edited May 2020

Could this be a permissions issue in OS X on my external content drive? I don't know when, how, or why they would have gotten changed before all this madness started, but is there some kind of specific permissions that DS requires and may be looking for, but just faints onto a couch instead of giving any kind of notification?

mavante said:

Could this be a permissions issue in OS X on my external content drive? I don't know when, how, or why they would have gotten changed before all this madness started, but is there some kind of specific permissions that DS requires and may be looking for, but just faints onto a couch instead of giving any kind of notification?

If the paths are correct it may well be something like that.

mavante said:

If the paths are correct it may well be something like that.

Okay. Calling all Mac users: Any idea what permissions have to be on my content drives/directories, and/or my Daz applications folder, and/or any of the directories that Daz installations scatter all over hither and yon on my system drives/folders?

Any hints or help will be appreciated.

One suggestion that has been passed to me is that the actual mount point of the drive may have changed, even if it looks the same to you in Finder etc. I am told to ask you to use Get Info and check the Where field to make sure it is as it should be, no extra numbers or the like appended

One suggestion that has been passed to me is that the actual mount point of the drive may have changed, even if it looks the same to you in Finder etc. I am told to ask you to use Get Info and check the Where field to make sure it is as it should be, no extra numbers or the like appended

Huh? There is no "Where" field in the OS X "Get Info" window for the drive (or any other drive that I've ever seen). See for yourself, attached.

And every other program I've used on my Mac knows where to find it. I just created a useless TrashMe text file and saved it to my content directory on that drive without any issues whatsoever. I also opened a Read Me text file from that content directory in ReadMe's, and a PDF file from there. No issue at all.

CalliopeInfo.jpg
    399 x 711 - 68K

I am told to ask you to use Get Info and check the Where field to make sure it is as it should be, no extra numbers or the like appended

I think that whoever you're talking to must have meant, or should have meant, go to Apple Menu>About This Mac>System Report>Storage.

My content drive, Calliope, is mounted right where it should be as far as I know. See attached.

AboutMac-Storage.png
    330 x 116 - 19K
    mavante said:

I am told to ask you to use Get Info and check the Where field to make sure it is as it should be, no extra numbers or the like appended

I think that whoever you're talking to must have meant, or should have meant, go to Apple Menu>About This Mac>System Report>Storage.

My content drive, Calliope, is mounted right where it should be as far as I know. See attached.

Then I think you need a support ticket.

mavante said:

As I said upthread: "I ... three days ago [four days ago now] ... submitted a tech help ticket. I received a notice that my ticket was received, but no one from tech has replied with any help or suggestions."

Still waiting.

mavante said:
    mavante said:

As I said upthread: "I ... three days ago [four days ago now] ... submitted a tech help ticket. I received a notice that my ticket was received, but no one from tech has replied with any help or suggestions."

Still waiting.

Well, three days would be quite quick - especially for an issue like this. Given that people are currently working from home, which may limit the options for comparing notes etc., while it is likely that ticket volume is up due to all the other people stuck at home I'm afraid a response may take a while.