Morphs loaded with morph loader are too "round" upon applying SubD

Hello people, so... yesterday I tried to make a severed feet morph for G8F. Everything went fine, I managed to make the morph perfectly even in the place of the "cut":

I was following a tutorial that said I needed to export the G8F .obj in base resolution, with no SubD. I did it, loaded the morph with loder pro with a success, but...

When I apply the morph, and ten turn G8F back into high resolution mode, it looks like this:

It seems like the Catmark SubD alghorithm is trying to soften up the edges of the cut, which I don't want. The problem goes away when I switch to Bilinear, but then the rest of the geometry is too "jaggy" or "boxy".

Is there a solution to this?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,205

Just a suggestion.

You could try to mark the top edge as 'sharp' - although I do not know if the subD algorithm will respect that.

• felis said:

Just a suggestion.

You could try to mark the top edge as 'sharp' - although I do not know if the subD algorithm will respect that.

Where would I do it - inside Blender , or in DAZ's geometry editor?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,458
    felis said:

Just a suggestion.

Yes, Geometry Editor. Put it in Edge mode in the Tool Settings pane, select the affected edges, right-click>Geometry Editing and as I recall there's an option to set the weights. Though do you really need t do this as a morph? Unless you are planning to share it with others I'd think it better to delete the unwaned parts of the mesh, cap the opening (and steal the UVs from the shin on the cap), then use the Transfer Utlity to rig it from the base figure if it needs to be posable.

• felis said:

Just a suggestion.

Yes, Geometry Editor. Put it in Edge mode in the Tool Settings pane, select the affected edges, right-click>Geometry Editing and as I recall there's an option to set the weights. Though do you really need t do this as a morph? Unless you are planning to share it with others I'd think it better to delete the unwaned parts of the mesh, cap the opening (and steal the UVs from the shin on the cap), then use the Transfer Utlity to rig it from the base figure if it needs to be posable.

Thanks, I'm gonna look into that, although I have no idea how to use the transfer utility :) I need it as a morph though because I'll be using it on many figures - as I understand your method would imply doing it all over again on every new figure? I never really fiddled with geometry editor - can you save the deleted parts of the mesh as a preset or something?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,458
    felis said:

Just a suggestion.

Thanks, I'm gonna look into that, although I have no idea how to use the transfer utility :) I need it as a morph though because I'll be using it on many figures - as I understand your method would imply doing it all over again on every new figure? I never really fiddled with geometry editor - can you save the deleted parts of the mesh as a preset or something?

Textures wold still work, and you can transfer morphs as well as rigging in the Transfer Utility.

• Looks like you scaled everything to 0 except the foot.

Easiest way to make sharper corners with catmull clark is restrict the radius by having 2 loops close to each other at the edge instead of 1.

With the geometry editor you could set the non foot polygons to a new surface that is just red.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,528

I have not tried doing it on a figure based model, but this may work, it does with my own models where I get unexpected blending of surfaces and I don't feel the need to go back to the modeller & separate the groups of facets.

Under the surface tab, if it's using a DAZ Uber shader surface, towards the last entries in the surface, change the radius & angle for smoothing (it's near the horizontal & vertical tiling entries). Make the radius less, maybe 0.1cm & take the angle for radiussing to say around 45 degrees. That may well do it.