illuminating arm

Hey guys! Hope you're all keeping safe out there (no pun intended).

So I'm trying to add a light to my model's arm and the scene is that she's creating a flame. Now her arm is down and I want to have the light illuminate her hand but also travel up the arm where the flame is going to "climb". I used a point light for the hand but it's not reaching the arm no matter what I do - I changed intensity, height, flux... but it just grows around the hand illuminating the other figures, never up.
I tried adding another point light to the arm but it looks ridiculous and a spotlight going from the hand up the arm barely adds any light.

Any tricks you might now to help will be really appreciated :)

Stay safe,
Sam

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

I assume you're using 3Delight rather than Iray?

• lumiasartlumiasart Posts: 126

I assume you're using 3Delight rather than Iray?

Hum...no... I'm using Iray. I never tried to use 3Delight and I'm a bit new to using lights but none of the tutorials I watched said anything about 3Delight :)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

You could apply the Emissive shader and use texture and intensity maps to create the effect you want.

You could apply the Emissive shader and use texture and intensity maps to create the effect you want.

Not sure what Emissive shader are but I had a look around google and found a few tutorials. It may help yes :) thank you, you're a life saver!

• You could apply the Emissive shader and use texture and intensity maps to create the effect you want.

Not sure what Emissive shader are but I had a look around google and found a few tutorials. It may help yes :) thank you, you're a life saver!

Select the Surface Selector Tool, select the arm, go to surfaces pane, and in the arm shader look for a tab called Emission. Set the emission color and intesity and youre done :P

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

The Emissive channel is part the basic Iray Uber Shader so you probably don't need to apply the specific Emissive shader.  You could also create a Geometry Shell of the figure and apply the shader to that.

Select the Surface Selector Tool, select the arm, go to surfaces pane, and in the arm shader look for a tab called Emission. Set the emission color and intesity and youre done :P

Oh, thank you! i'll try that! =D

jestmart said:

The Emissive channel is part the basic Iray Uber Shader so you probably don't need to apply the specific Emissive shader.  You could also create a Geometry Shell of the figure and apply the shader to that.

I'll have a look and see what I can find about this :) thank you! The great thing about coming here with questions is that I end up learnig a bunch of new stuff ^^

Oh, thank you! i'll try that! =D

Small problçem with this... surface selection selects both arms only :( any way to only select one? :)

• felisfelis Posts: 4,205

In Emission Color you can add a map with the arm you want ligthing as white and the other as black - or even just the part of the arm, and then use the color to colorize it.