Export *textured* models from DAZ into Blender

Has anyone been able to successfuly export a textured model from DAZ into Blender 2.8 without Diffeomorphic`s add-on? I`ve tried that for hours yesterday and got nothing. For what I have seen on his blog`s comment section, it is basically hit or miss, probably after the fact that it is tested primarily on his machines. Even if it worked, the fact that the whole add-on is presided by a single individual is also a problem, as he could drop it anytime. That aside, I have also tried Collada and Autodesk FBX with a few different settings. I got close with FBX, but it still yielded a spagetti-like arm and slightly offset elements of the pose, along with blank eyes. By this point, I could settle for simply transfering the mesh and textures without any bones. I am also not interested in animation as of now. 

Comments

• Hi F770700,

I don't think you concern about the viability of Diffeomorphic's addon applies. It's open source, and it is presided over by one guy simply because Thomas Larssen apparently doesn't sleep and keeps improving it at an extremely fast pace. If he were to desist one day, it would be taken over by one or more individuals because it is simply too valuable. In fact, I bet I know one person on this very forum that would be one of the first in line. If no one did, I would even step up. I really wouldn't worry about that at all; it's open source and as long as people find it useful, it will live on. Look at Makehuman, which was supported by one guy, who gave up. It didn't go away because its users were unwilling to let it.

• F770700 said:

Has anyone been able to successfuly export a textured model from DAZ into Blender 2.8 without Diffeomorphic`s add-on? I`ve tried that for hours yesterday and got nothing. For what I have seen on his blog`s comment section, it is basically hit or miss, probably after the fact that it is tested primarily on his machines. Even if it worked,

It works to a large extent for many cases.  It isn't perfect, but there are more hits than misses in my experience.  Satisfied 'customers' are less likely to comment on the blog than dissatisfied ones.  If you looked at the Bitbucket issue tracker for the addon, you would see that there are other people testing the addon simply by using it and then reporting any issues they find.  That's pretty much what small open source projects rely on.  You could contribute to improving it by reporting your issues there.

F770700 said:

the fact that the whole add-on is presided by a single individual is also a problem, as he could drop it anytime.

There is that possibility, and as has been observed it might then be adopted by other people.  From what I have observed of the codebase, it could be made more easily 'adoptable' (technical docs, comments etc.), but I am not going to grumble too much considering the amount of effort the author already put into the project.

F770700 said:

That aside, I have also tried Collada and Autodesk FBX with a few different settings. I got close with FBX, but it still yielded a spagetti-like arm and slightly offset elements of the pose, along with blank eyes. By this point, I could settle for simply transfering the mesh and textures without any bones. I am also not interested in animation as of now. 

You can easily delete the bones in Blender, or just hide them, if you don't want them.  I have yet to find a procedure for FBX that doesn't distort the armature - the results are much better using the Thomas Larsson addon, and the materials are usually a decent first cut as well.