Shells stay white

Hi.
I'm having a problem with shells not getting texture when rendering, they just stay white.
This is for the G8M gen over at Renderotica.
I have tried many different shells, but all just stay white.
Everything was fine yesterday, untill I updated DAZ Studio.
Is this a settings problem, or is the new update bad?

Hope someone can help me..

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,198

So it look ok in preview?

And are you using the corresponding render engine to the material settings?

• No, no "texture" is being applied in preview either. Just a lighter layer atop of the figure.
    But when I render it, it looks just bright white. If I take the shell away, everything looks okay, but there are no details on the figure. It is meant to be used with the shell.
    I have always used Iray, and that is what it still says in the render settings.

• The same thing happens with the XY gen, but I just tested a female character, and gen shells there is ok... *ScratchesHead

• felisfelis Posts: 4,198

If it doesn't look right in preview either, it sounds more as a product issue.

Have you tried it on more than one male?

And if so, maybe try to reinstall it?

• I just reinstalled both gen's, and it worked for one of them, so thats good. But the XY is still bogus.
    Just strange that it happened after the update..
    But thanks, Felis!
    If anyone have any clues to why this is happening, feel free to share!

• Now Studio won't render either... 16 min, 0% and not a single pixel has been written.
    And when I try to cancel the rendering, Studio does not reply.
    This new update has ruined Studio...

• kekikkekik Posts: 13

Could it be you wear two "shells"? If you use two, one of them stays white, at least that happens to me. So try to remove one of them if you do.

• As Kekik said, this happens when you have two shells. You don't need to delete the other shells, go into the paramaters tab with the geoshells selected and then shell>visibility>face groups. Find anything not related to the shell itself and turn it off. See the pictures below.

Screenshot (86).png
    1920 x 1080 - 644K
    Screenshot (87).png
    1920 x 1080 - 645K
  • brimstoneomega said:

As Kekik said, this happens when you have two shells. You don't need to delete the other shells, go into the paramaters tab with the geoshells selected and then shell>visibility>face groups. Find anything not related to the shell itself and turn it off. See the pictures below.

Thank you very much, I have been struggling with this issue since the last two days, you are a lifesaver!

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited June 2021

XY shells haven't been saved as they should have been and they are always bugged. Often when you reload a scene, the XY is all white. Reason : 

XY shell should be only Iray Uber and with two surfaces called Default and Torso. But when the product related bug happens (which is very often) if you check the shell's surface, you'll see that instead of Iray Uber Shader, it became "multiple". Default and Torso are still there but no more texture loaded and they are not Iray anymore. And there's a new huge list of surfaces that correspond to the G8's surfaces, and that have nothing to do there. It's weird and it's definitely a dbxxx product issue. 

SolutionS :

1/ You can re-assign Iray Uber Shader manually to XY's "default" and "torso" textures. Then reload manually Diffuse, SSS, Bump, etc textures from the original product

2/ Best solution in my opinion : When you load your shell for the first time, create a primitive object, assign it the Iray Uber Shader and copy paste the XY shell's material onto that object. Every time the bug happens, re-assign Iray Uber to the shell and copy paste the Sphere's material onto the shell. Annoying but at least it's a quick fix. 

3/ If your shell didn't have custom made textures you can simply delete it, select G8M and reload it from your content library. 

4/ Load the shell the first time. Customize it (textures that fit the character's skin, top coat values, whatever). And save that as a material preset. If the shell goes wrong, simply reapply your material preset. 

This bundle is bugged. But DAZ has many workaround issues like that ;)

Post edited by hansolocambo on