Resolution for tiny figures less than 1"

Hi, 
I'm working in a lanyard badge that has dimension of 3"x5" and using a rendered stack of books with daz models climbing up them. Only problem is, when I render each figure and resize them in Photoshop cc 2020, they pixelate so bad I'm losting all quality. I've tried going back to Daz and re rendering the figures, basically zooming out and upping the resolution but they are still pixelated. These are going to print so I need them to be sharp. Is there any way to fix the issue?
Thanks in advance

dazhelp.jpg
274 x 1016 - 255K

Comments

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    edited May 2020

Are you using bicubic sharper or bicubic as the resample algorythm when shrinking them down?

Post edited by TheKD on
  • angiearlandangiearland Posts: 5
    edited May 2020

I'm just using the standard shrink tool in photoshop. I've also tried turning it into a smart object prior to shrinking but it turns out the same.
    I've also tried preserve details 2.0

Post edited by angiearland on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,265

I think the idea is to render the image as large as you're willing to go with it ... 4,000 by whatever, or something like that. And to .png, not jpeg.

For printing, you'll want 300 pixels/per ... so that image in Photoshop also needs to be as large as is practical.

Concept is to take a large image and simply print that out to whatever size you want. A large image printed out stamp size is going to look better than a stamp sized image printed out to a stamp size.

• The print company have requested a jpg the exact size it will be printed. I've tried doing multiple renders but still get the same result. This image is going on a badge to over a thousand people so I'm really stressing about it.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104

To get the print size you want then you will have to render at 900x1500 pixels, 3x5 inches, the image you posted is 274x1016 pixels which at 300 ppi, print resolution, gives a printed size of 0.91x3.39 inches.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

I'm just using the standard shrink tool in photoshop.

Remember that Photoshop tool has two basic modes; resizing, which changes the virtual size of the pixels in the image, and resampling, which keeps the pixel size fixed and requires a filter setting. If the shrunk image is being pixellated, it looks like you're set to plain resizing. What you want is resampling, which uses the filter setting to smooth the shrunk image to round off edges and remove pixellation.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,460

I'm just using the standard shrink tool in photoshop.

Remember that Photoshop tool has two basic modes; resizing, which changes the virtual size of the pixels in the image, and resampling, which keeps the pixel size fixed and requires a filter setting. If the shrunk image is being pixellated, it looks like you're set to plain resizing. What you want is resampling, which uses the filter setting to smooth the shrunk image to round off edges and remove pixellation.

Resampling keeps the physical size fixed (well, can - it can also change both) and changes the pixel size.