Gimbal lock possible in posing menu where it is named bend/twist/forward-back?

Hi,

So I know what gimbal lock is...its where you line up the axis with each other and it doesnt matter if you rotate the x y or z clockwise or counter-clockwise all of them are moving in the same two rotational directions.  I think that normally a figure has limiters in place so that you can only rotate limbs a certain amount?  But i added a pose and i think it gave me an option to turn off limits.  Never noticed until now that this might affect the range-of-motion limits for limbs.  So with the limits turned off it shouldn't matter that arms and legs in the posing menu have bend, forward-back and twist.  They all rotate and those names are just substitutes for x y and z so that means it should be possible to gimbal lock limbs too correct?

Comments

• The usual advice when rigging si to set the axis order so that the axis most likely to hit nnety degrees is last, to avoid gimbal lock (which can indeed affect bones in a figure). Assuming you are working in Daz Studio you may be able to get around this by activating one of the posing tools (Rotation or Universal), setting the coordinate system to World, and then using the Viewport gizom to adjust the pose - DS will then break the needed rotation down into x, y, z rotations on the bone itself.

• When i'm posing from scratch i'm careful to avoid GL.  I guess it was because i was messing with a premade pose that i got thrown off a bit.