Is this card good enough to work with the current version of Daz?

GTX 1080 Armor 8G Geforce. Will this card work with Daz? I am currently returning recently bought products because not having an Nvidia means my machine (with an AMD card) takes hours upon hours rendering the simplest scene.

If the Nvidia card works (hopefully as a second card dedicated to rendering), that would mean I could continue using Daz.

1. Is this card too out-of-date to work with Daz?
  2. Will it be unsupported with the next versions of Daz because of its age?
  3. Will it work at all as a secondary card?

I appreciate any info, thanks!

Comments

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

The GTX 1080 is plenty fast for running Iray rendering in Daz Studio, though depending on how expensive that card is you might want to consider an 8GB RTX card. The 8GB RTX 2060 Super starts around $400.

Any Geforce card can be added as a second card, though you may run into some issues having both AMD and Nvidia graphics software installed (to be safe I would uncheck the Geforce experience software during the Nvidia driver istallation).  The Daz viewport will use whatever GPU is plugged into the monitor.

As of right now any Kepler generation or newer Nvidia card will work for Iray rendering though it is strongly reccomended that your video card have at least 6GB of VRAM (8GB is better and 11GB or more is best)
    As you can see in the table the most recent unsupported series came out in 2010.  That means any given series could have a nine year life cycle for Iray rendering (Though it may have had to do more with a fundamental achitectural change from Fermi to Kepler. Fermi was the last achitecture to include Hot Shaders)
    Just for your peace of mind, here are the last 10 years of Geforce generations:

Year Series Iray Support Geforce Range Notes
    2010 Fermi Unsupported GTX 400-500 2019 End of Iray support
    2012 Kepler Supported GTX 600-700 Up next for end of support?
    2014 Maxwell Supported GTX 900 800 Series was notebook only
    2016 Pascal Supported GTX 1000 Huge performance boost vs Maxwell
    2017 Volta Supported Titan V Overpriced if you can find one
    2018 Turing Supported GTX1600 / RTX2000 RTX card = extra fast Iray
    2020? Ampere? Supported GTX???? / ???3000 Announcement in May?

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

No idea what you're paying for a 1080 but there are a lot of good options for 8Gb RTX cards.