Working with G3, problems.

LoonyLoony Posts: 1,817

Hi,

I use normally only G8, now I used for no knowing reason G3.

And now I realize some problems...

1. I can not really use G8 Clothes on G3, or G1, if I select a G1 or G8 product I get a very less Autofit selection.

G8M to G3M:

Trying G2M on G8M:

2. The Powerpose is very limited:

It says at the top also "default" at G8 says it G8 and have much more controls.

3. Even if I pinned the hip and selected in the tool options "pin at both", both legs moves if I move one with my Powerpose tool. (the little bone mouse)

So... is my G3 maybe wrong installed and stuff is missing or is it just crazy limited? :(

Post edited by Loony on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,205

Autofit does only support converting from lower to higher.

But there are products in the store that can do it the other way, e.g. https://www.daz3d.com/character-converter-from-genesis-8-female-to-genesis-3-female

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,903
    edited April 2020

There are products that expand the autofit capabilities of G3, which are somewhat limited. The Wear Them All series goes back as far as Gen3, while SY’s Genesis 8 Clones for Genesis 3 lets you use G8. Daz doesn’t (and really can’t) build forward-compatibility into their figures, which is why G3 can’t autofit G8 clothes natively; earlier generations can’t either, nor can G2 natively autofit G3, etc. As for Powerpose...yeah, I don’t know why it’s so screwy on G3, although I think there are updated templates you can download from somewhere.

Personally, if it’s not too late, I would definitely swap G8 in for the G3 character(s). If you absolutely need the morphs, something like XTransfer might be a better investment than trying to hack G3 into usability. G8 can wear G3 textures with no problem, unless the G3 uses a custom UV. 

Post edited by Gordig on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,393
    felis said:

It does, only the clones to do that are not included by default.

• LoonyLoony Posts: 1,817
    felis said:

But there are products in the store that can do it the other way, e.g. https://www.daz3d.com/character-converter-from-genesis-8-female-to-genesis-3-female

Yeah I used that, and that worked, but I was ... confused that it requires to confert it always :(

Gordig said:

There are products that expand the autofit capabilities of G3, which are somewhat limited. The Wear Them All series goes back as far as Gen3, while SY’s Genesis 8 Clones for Genesis 3 lets you use G8. Daz doesn’t (and really can’t) build forward-compatibility into their figures, which is why G3 can’t autofit G8 clothes natively; earlier generations can’t either, nor can G2 natively autofit G3, etc. As for Powerpose...yeah, I don’t know why it’s so screwy on G3, although I think there are updated templates you can download from somewhere.

Personally, if it’s not too late, I would definitely swap G8 in for the G3 character(s). If you absolutely need the morphs, something like XTransfer might be a better investment than trying to hack G3 into usability. G3 can wear G3 textures with no problem, unless the G3 uses a custom UV. 

So with that clone, can I then just selct G8 on G3, BUT.... I think I will not use G3 anymore, but so far I know I can atleast use G3 Skins on G8.

Just noticed when you quoted it that I said G3 can wear G3 textures, which...duh. Thankfully, you got what I meant. A lot of G3 base characters use custom UVs, which means that if you just applied the texture to G8 as is, you’d wind up with something like this:

To fix that, you can either use DS’s Map Transfer function to copy the textures onto G3’s default UV, which is identical to G8’s, or buy the appropriate Legacy UVs product. 

• LoonyLoony Posts: 1,817

I did try to use a G8 female skin on G3 :D but that got some crazy result too^^.... but I did never try to use G8F on G8M.

The problem with trying to use G8 skins on G3 is that G8 skins tend to be hierarchical presets, meaning that you have to have the designated figure (i.e. G8) selected in order for them to work. There are ways to do it, but honestly, unless you’re one of those people who have such a large investment in G3 that switching to G8 would be untenable, I can’t think of a single reason to use G3 over G8. As for gender swapping skins, the male and female UVs are different, so you’d get similar results to what I posted, unless you had UV Swap