NVIDIA Drops CUDA Support For MacOS

what does this mean for the Mac Version of Daz3d and Iray??

NVIDIA Drops CUDA Support For MacOS
https://www.provideocoalition.com/officially-official-nvidia-drops-cuda-support-for-macos/

I know Apple has stoped supporting Nvidia Cards a standard or even a Apple uograde in their pro models BUT... 
Seems like Daz3d on MacOS is going to bne limited to Older OS versions and Older Macs Pros with Older Nvidia Cards and Older drivers. THis is a shrort term solution at best for Daz3d on Mac OS. As no one who is using Daz3d for any length of time is going to be satisfied with CPU only renders and Dforce simulations. 

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,056
    edited April 2020

3Delight I guess

Dforce works on openCL ( better than my PC with the 980ti in fact) but think Apple dropped that too

Honestly 3Delight often quicker and nicer on my cardless PC than iray depending on the scene if its too big for the card so imagine the same with a Mac

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • CUDA is used for GPU rendering, I don't think this will affect CPU rendering - which is what many Mac users are limited to anyway. In any event, it is not Daz's decision (or a decision they likely have any influence over). You could,space and money permitting, get a basic Windows machine with as good an nVidia card as possible and just use it as a fancy render box while using the Mac for all yur set-up and your other applications.

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

CUDA is used for GPU rendering, I don't think this will affect CPU rendering - which is what many Mac users are limited to anyway. In any event, it is not Daz's decision (or a decision they likely have any influence over). You could,space and money permitting, get a basic Windows machine with as good an nVidia card as possible and just use it as a fancy render box while using the Mac for all yur set-up and your other applications.

Which is exactly what I did about 18 months ago, seeing the direction that Apple was going in their hardware support and open standards like OpenCL and OpenGL.  It is pretty easy to set things up on the Mac, still my main machine, do test renders with low resolution and convergence, then send the scene files (including custom textures, etc.) over to the Windows box for final tweaking and rendering.

• basvdgbasvdg Posts: 0

Octane X is launching soon for Mac OSX and AMD graphics cards which is my favourite render engine. You can export it to their program or use something like cinema4D and the Octane Plugin