Daz Studio hangs after starting in Windows 10

So, I've finally got my new build all put together and working with Windows 10 installed, but Daz Studio freezes on startup.  It starts to the point where I see the interface, and it says "Daz Studio started" in the lower left corner, but then it will not accept input and has to be CTD'd to close.  I swear I've tried everything.

I am running a GTX 2080ti and a 1080 in Windows 10 Pro.  It worked once.  Then it quit.  I don't know why.

I reinstalled DS and the CMS, including clean-uninstalling where I tracked down all the files in Program Files and Roaming.  

I uninstalled and reinstalled Nvidia drivers, and tried two previous versions as well.  Driver-heavy apps like Substance Painter and Zbrush work fine.

I set up the firewall to specifically let DS and the Postgres CMS through.

Finally I reinstalled Windows.

Nothing I do seems to get DS to work.  Has anyone else run into this, before I shuffle off to wait in the Support queue?

Comments

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

I had and still have a lot of issues after being forced to switch to 10 from 7. Do you have octane or reality installed? DS was really crashy when I added reality, and octane causes the DS process to stay in the backround until I manually kill it. I mean it will keep staying there for days literally lol.....

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631

Nah, I own them but I haven't installed either on this machine.

Darn, that's all the ideas I have. It's pretty crazy, can't be that beast of a machine you have lol. Hopefully you can get it sorted out, you need to start making some more badass tutorails on your channel :P

• Could try disconnecting from the web, launch W10 in safe mode, open D/S which will now hopefully open and kill anything that is wanting to connect right away to the Internet, be it for updates or shopping.

Then close D/S and restart the computer, connect to the Internet, launch D/S ... and hopefully now that it is not wanting to connect to the web, it will launch.

Believe it or not I tried that, too.  DS won't start in Safe Mode.  It gives the "elevated permissions" error.

• :-(

? try being signed into the store [not the forums], IF you're using DIM then signed in on that as well, then launch D/S?

And if none of the above works I think you'll have to go the CS ticket route.

I'm with W10 and D/S set up to work without calling home on its own, no DIM, and so far, it has been working just fine. Periodic driver updates happen - Nvidia has Studio Drivers for our machines :-)

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,126

Anything of note in the log?  C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\log.txt (or Studio4 Public Build\log.txt)

Here's the log.  I haven't been able to find much about the specific errors it's showing.

Sadly, signing in to DIM and the store did not fix it.  I appreciate everyone's suggestions, though!  Support just has so much on their plates now that I hate to bother them if I can avoid it!

2020-04-28_21-54-04.jpg
    2860 x 1537 - 2M

The next lines in my log are:

Creating Pixel Buffer

Pixel Buffer - Width: 1024 Height: 1024

Compiling OpenGL Shader...

Fragment Shader:

Fragment shader compiled successfully

Linking shader:

Shader Program successfully linked.

You're also missing two lines immediately after "Successfully created OpenGL viewport for AuxViewportview" -

Executing Startup Script

Started in: <path to Studio4>

I'm not sure of the significance of any of this, but somewhere in this sequence is where it's going off the rails.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,592

Maybe try taking out 1 card temporarily?

- Greg

• Since it's a new build, I'll ask, has windows done an update since you installed the NViDIA Drivers?

windows 10 has a nasty habit of overwriting NVIDIA drivers with a a basic windows driver.

I recommend going and downlaoding your NVIDIA Driver directly from their site load, reboot and try.

Then disable automatic driver updates by windows (I think its control panel-devices-click on your GPU)

I think i have 442.74 that works for my 2080ti but someone else might have a better idea on what is the latest/best driver version for Daz

edited April 2020

Since it's a new build, I'll ask, has windows done an update since you installed the NViDIA Drivers?

windows 10 has a nasty habit of overwriting NVIDIA drivers with a a basic windows driver.

I recommend going and downlaoding your NVIDIA Driver directly from their site load, reboot and try.

Then disable automatic driver updates by windows (I think its control panel-devices-click on your GPU)

I think i have 442.74 that works for my 2080ti but someone else might have a better idea on what is the latest/best driver version for Daz

It has, but I did update the Nvidia drivers afterward.  Sadly that didn't fix it. :(

I've gone ahead and submitted a ticket.  I'll let everyone know what fixed it in the end, if anything does, in hopes of helping future Google searchers.

Post edited by SickleYield on
    edited April 2020

P.S. I even tried removing one graphics card (thank you for that suggestion!), or switching up which monitor was plugged into which, plugging them both into the older 1080 that worked in my old machine, etc.  No dice. :(  Still waiting on Support.  I expect it'll be a long wait with the world in the situation it's in.  

Post edited by SickleYield on

Sounds like a total pain in the butt :(

One more item to eliminate - bad memory. Try pulling down memtest86 and running it from a thumb drive.

• Well you are one of their good PAs so hopefully the ticket will get the attention it deserves.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

Have you checked Windows Event Log to see if there is anything listed there?

I always check Application, System and Security

edited May 2020

Hey, thanks, guys!  Today I applied the new Daz Studio 4.12 update.  Sadly it did not bring new results.

Windows Event Log: There's a lot there, and I'm not entirely sure how to interpret much of it.  Postgres is mentioned in a notifications section, so I double-checked that it's allowed through the firewall, but that hasn't made a difference.  Turning the firewall entirely off doesn't seem to, either.

Memtest86: I couldn't get windows 10 to boot from the usb drive (and I'm definitely not unplugging all my hard drives manually to try and make that happen, lol; it was bad enough getting the OS on there the first time).  Windows 10's on board "restart and check memory" feature caused it to just not boot, so I took out two sticks of RAM it wasn't detecting anyway (leaving me still at 128 mb according to the OS).  Didn't change anything.

I have an old version of 4.10 that will run and still has dForce working, so I may use that until Support is able to get back to me.  I tried going back and forth to try and figure out what would make one run and the other not, but so far that has produced no interesting information.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Update: I performed a clean boot AND IT WORKED.  Now to figure out which startup thing has been screwing with DS...

Further update: It was Nahimic Audio Service.  I don't know why in the world my new motherboard would come with a program that interferes with several others and behaves like malware, but googling it, apparently I am not the only one to have Nahimic interfere with seemingly unrelated software.  I'm leaving it disabled, since the Realtek driver apparently works fine without it.   My Daz Studio install is now fully functional.  I can work Monday!!  WOOOO!!!

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,264

That would be something to mention to Tech support.

Glad you got D/S working :-)

Yep, I let them know they can drop me out of the queue. What a relief to have my work tools back!
  • hey everyone

same issue...windowows 10 pro...out of the blue Daz Studio remains minimized...no way, even shift/right clicking  i can maximize or restore it...can someone help?

hey everyone

same issue...windowows 10 pro...out of the blue Daz Studio remains minimized...no way, even shift/right clicking  i can maximize or restore it...can someone help?

Did you check if you have Nahimic Audio Service?