Strange artifacts in render

I have three problems, possibly all related or not, with the iray rendering of a character. I have rendered hundreds of images using Daz Studio of the years and have not encountered this problem before. I am using studio 4.12 pro and iray materials.  Many other renders with this setup have been fine.

With this figure I have:

(1) strange dark patterns on the forehead,

(2) pure white, rash-like patches on the skin, and

(3) white splotches on the clothing.

Pictures are attached.

Do you have any idea why this is happening?

forehead-1.png
175 x 160 - 69K
forehead-2.png
216 x 165 - 78K
chest-1.png
438 x 383 - 264K
pants-1.png
257 x 234 - 143K

Comments

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

Looks like you are getting a common bug. Try switching instancing operation in the optimization render tab to speed. Also if possible, move the person to 0,0,0. That should at least clear up the head splotches, not sure about the skin and panst though, might not be the same bug causing that.

• Thank you for your reply, KD! Changing the render optimization from auto to speed reduced, but did not completely eliminate the dark artifacts on the head. Moving the figure to the origin had no effect on any of the problems.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

OK, for the hair at least, select the hair, go to the parameter tab, look and see if you can find any morphs that are like "forehead depth" and try playing with that if you can find one. The forehead blotches are being caused by the haircap and the forehead occupying the same space, or being too close. Annoying iray bug, sometimes happens on the eyeballs too.

Are you using something that has a geoshell attached? The other white splotches I have seen before due to a geoshell interfering with clothes. That's the only thing that comes to mind on those.

• Thank you very much, TheKD!  Your two suggestions solved my hair artifact ptoblem. The hair I am using (Classic Bob Hair) has a parameter called head size which I increased by 3% and the artifacts disappeared.  The problems with the skin and the clothing, however, still remain.