Sci-Fi Retro Space Suit

Joe WebbJoe Webb Posts: 837

I'm having issues when I have both the male and female versions of this item in a scene.

I had downloaded both with the Install Manager, at seperate times. I had not used the male version previously. I had used the the female version, and it loaded and rendered as expected.

I then made a scene with both. I loaded the female version first, it worked as expected. I loaded the male version and nothing worked right. I did not get error messages. The ray-gun loaded as the grey block placeholder. The bodysuit loaded with the texture scrambled, and the geometry blocky.

After trying to fix it in the surfaces tab unsuccessfully (changing the UV and tiles) I uninstalled and resinstalled. I deleted the suit from the male figure in the scene and saved the scene. I had turned off the program during the reinstall.

I loaded the scene and now the female suit has the scrambled surface. The ray-gun that was already equiped loaded as the grey block. I deleted that and tried adding it back in the scene from the female version again and that worked fine. I tried deleting and reloading the bodysuit but that did not work, giving the same result.

The male body suit loaded fine, now. I was able to add a subDivision surface to get rid of the blocky mesh.

It looks to me that maybe the files have the same exact names, so the program is not accessing the UV correctly? This has bumped up against the limits of my knowledge here. I'm thining that might not be only an issue on my machine, but maybe it is? I do have everything on an F drive, but this doesn't seem to be a path issue, exactly. But maybe its close? 

Anyway it seems like the last installed outfit works fine, the older one has issues with the UV mapping, maybe?

As a work around I've just used the male suit on the female, but it won't take a subDivision, for some reason. It did take a smoothing modifier.

ScreenShot_Retro_suit1.jpg
1928 x 1032 - 1M
Post edited by Joe Webb on

Comments

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

I have both of those items so will have to run some tests.  Out of curiosity, have you tried making separate scenes for the characters & then tried Merging?

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,442

As for the raygun problem, they have different geometry (Raygun_52859 for G8F and Raygun_M_49330 for G8M) which is not itself a problem, but the default UV file for each one has the same name, which does cause a problem. Since they get installed to the same data folder, the last one installed overwrites the previous. I installed each set to a separate mapped folder so that the data folders did not overlap and each set loads properly. The other shared props (tank, helmet, holster) all have the same geometry, and scene ID, so there is no conflict.

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

Interesting.  I didn't look at the individual items but did make a test.  No issues. 

Both items installed via DIM, several months apart.  Loaded a G8F character & put her suit on then slid her over, no posing.  Same thing for the male but I used Denton so has a little pokeage.  Saved, exited then restarted & loaded the scene & both are fine.

Oh, and if you're looking for the ultimate in Ray Guns ...

AcmeDecoRetroBlaster-L_PewterLogo.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 350K
    edited April 2020

I see the blocky textures on the suit, even if the male and female suits are installed in separate temporary libraries, but only with the wearable preset. It's okay if I load the bodysuit separately. (edit2: nevermind, one set is always messed up). However, if I remove the female version completely, the male wearable preset loads okay. The order of the libraries made a difference in that case. If the female UV is encountered first, it seems to mess up the male body suit. Doesn't do that the other way around. (edit: actually, it does, it was still in the cache). It's all moot anyway, since normal installation will have them all in the same place, so it can never work properly.

G8M Sci-Fi Retro Space Suit_test.jpg
    800 x 450 - 69K
    Post edited by NorthOf45 on
  • Joe WebbJoe Webb Posts: 837
    edited April 2020
    Doc Acme said:

I have both of those items so will have to run some tests.  Out of curiosity, have you tried making separate scenes for the characters & then tried Merging?

Yes. It still doesn't work. The female suit won't load properly.

I tried uninstalling the male suit, and now the female suit is giving me a error message - the 'some assets needed to load are missing..." linking to the now uninstalled male suit. So while they are both independent products, the program is seeing them as linked. I guess it must be a file naming issue.

Doc Acme said:

Interesting.  I didn't look at the individual items but did make a test.  No issues. 

Both items installed via DIM, several months apart.  Loaded a G8F character & put her suit on then slid her over, no posing.  Same thing for the male but I used Denton so has a little pokeage.  Saved, exited then restarted & loaded the scene & both are fine.

Oh, and if you're looking for the ultimate in Ray Guns ...

Interesting. I guess yours must be loaded in seperate folders, as NorthOf45 said. And thats one cool ray-gun!

And that worked. I uninstalled both. I reinstalled the female version with the IM. It loaded fine. I tried loading it on a male, Dasan, and aside from the translate prompt boxes it loaded fine. Then I loaded the male suit via DAZ itself and it loaded fine.

Then I quit, restarted, and it all went back again. The three female suits were bad, the male suit was good. I thought I had put it in a different folder but I guess it bounced back - as I said I'm reaching the limit of my limited file structure knowledge. 

Well, for the short term the female version has a bit more functionality as it includes the gun loaded in the hands. So I'll do that until either I figure out how to install it via another file structure (probably not hard, since I've already set up an external drive to hold most of my files) or the product is updated.

Its a fun outfit, and if buying outside of the bundles they are virtually, and literally, identical.

retro suit test1.jpg
    1916 x 1054 - 975K
    retro suit test2.jpg
    1944 x 1048 - 1M
    Post edited by Joe Webb on

Having separate folders won't help because some of the data files have the same name, but the scripts don't use absolute paths, they are all relative. Studio goes through the libraries in the order they are defined in the Content Directory Manager and uses the first match it finds. All the conforming items have their own geometry file (i.e., BodySuit.dsf vs. BodySuitM.dsf) but the path and filename of the UV maps are identical, so they collide.

• pctech4nypctech4ny Posts: 182

The patch for female version is now available via DIM.