Does Anyone Know How to Fix This Error Message?

deankutdeankut Posts: 298

[Does Anyone Know How to Fix This Error Message?] Missing File: studio/my library/people/genesis 8 female/characters/freckles.duf

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• deankut said:

[Does Anyone Know How to Fix This Error Message?] Missing File: studio/my library/people/genesis 8 female/characters/freckles.duf

Context? How was the content installed? Is mst content loading corectly? Does this content load, apparently, correctly after the error?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,388
    edited April 2020

That usually means that you have a character installed with a bad reference in its technical files.

IIRC there's a freebie creator (Felldude or something like that) whose content often has these type of reference errors starting with "studio/my library/people", do you have one of their freebies installed maybe?

Post edited by Leana on
  • deankutdeankut Posts: 298
    Leana said:

That usually means that you have a character installed with a bad reference in its technical files.

IIRC there's a freebie creator (Felldude or something like that) whose content often has these type of reference errors starting with "studio/my library/people", do you have one of their freebies installed maybe?

Quite possibly. Any idea of how to fix it @Leana?

@Richard Haseltine, yes, everything appears to load okay. It happens with all the Gen8 females.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,388
    edited April 2020

Well first you will need to identify which character that is. Once you've done that, you can either remove it or fix the bad references in the technical files.

To fix the references, first you'll need to find which of the technical file is affected (probably the main one for the character in the "data" folder), and where the files it references actually are. Then you'll have to edit the technical file with a text editor to replace the bad path with the right one. The files may be compressed, so you may need to uncompress it first (7zip will do that, for example) 

Post edited by Leana on

Thank you, @Leana...

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886

That is one of Felldude's freebies, no idea how many times he has tried  (and failed) to fix it.

Best thing to do is delete the files and avoid any of his G8 freebies.

Now to find it, lol. Do you think deleting just the .duf will do it?

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    deankut said:

Now to find it, lol. Do you think deleting just the .duf will do it?

Probably not — that will only delete the content file that finds and loads all the actually-does-something files in /data/ and /runtime/textures/. The leftover files will still be there; in particular stray /data/ files, which will be loaded with every G8F figure.

Do you still have the original installer that you downloaded? Look inside that for the location of the folders you need to find in your live content location.

A word of warning, if you do this — do not delete whole folders, especially in the /data/ folder, without checking if there were any existing files already in that folder that were installed for another character. It's easily fixed, you only need to re-install the now broken characters, but it's an annoyance that doesn't need to happen.

I think I installed it manually, @SpottedKitty. Thanks, I'll have a go at it. laugh

HALLALUERHA!!!!

(*voice of Madea)

I found the files that caused it! If anyone needs a list, just let me know! I've saved them in my download folder JIC.

• Hi Deankut, I'd be more than interested in knowing the files that cause this problem. I can't get rid of it ! My email adress is : [email protected]

Have a good one.

Hi Deankut, I'd be more than interested in knowing the files that cause this problem. I can't get rid of it ! My email adress is : [email protected]

Have a good one.

Hey Jean Claude! Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I would have messaged you back on here, but it wouldn't let me attach a picture. It was trial & error for me, as I searched for which file was causing the nauseating error message EVERY time I loaded something. I painstakingly deleted each file in the picture below, one-by-one, and none singularly would stop the message...until I deleted all of them. What I would suggest is that you do as I did, and just move them to another file in case you need them for whatever reason––just to err on the side of caution. You never know, you may have used one of the morphs in a past render that you'll need again. I hope this helps!

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 11.03.14 AM.png
    1872 x 1332 - 551K
  • Hi Dean, thank you so much for your help. My problem was weird : when I used G8 in a new scene, everything worked OK but when  I wanted to transfer G3 morphs to G8 using XTransfer I had the message "Missing File: studio/my library/people/genesis 8 female/characters/freckles.duf" It now seems to work fine. Thanks again, have a great weekeend and take care. JC

• rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374
    edited December 2021

Here is the full path to the problematic folder:

Freckles message.jpg
    1225 x 26 - 9K
    Freckles message.jpg
    993 x 284 - 44K
    Post edited by rosseliani on