Anyway to set specific items not to be sent through GoZ?

My typical workflow is I select a character and send through GoZ which sends all the attachements as well so I can fix pokethrough.  However one issue I'm running into is that a handful of my characters are using fibermesh hair products that have over a million triangles and stall out GoZ for 10 minutes before eventually loading.  I"m wonder if there is a way to somehow flag these items so that they don't get sent through GoZ? Or select them in some way that sends everything except for the hair?

Comments

• SelekSelek Posts: 70

Hmm, I'm kind of a newb, so forgive me if I don't have a great answer.  Could you just save the hair as a separate subscene and then delete it from your scene temporarily, then reattach it when you reimport the character back from ZBrush?  I've been doing that just to keep things simple for myself.  Like you, I"ve been making characters with Fibermesh, and the hair is usually the most resource-intensive thing in the scene.  So I spent a lot of time moving wigs in and out of my scenes.  I suppose this runs the risk of making the hair fit less well when it's reattached, if you've changed the head geometry in ZBrush?

Incidentally, do you recommend sticking with Fibermesh over Daz's new strand-based hair?  I like the latter, but the UI seems harder to work with than Fibermesh -- and the SBH UI crashes on me frequently.

• FalcoFalco Posts: 240

Yea that's basically my fallback option, I can delete the hair, send the char through goz and undo the hair deletion.  I was just hoping for a cleaner way to do it.  The better way to do what you were saying would be to save it as a wearable which makes it easy to reattach.  It's just easy to forget to remove it and then you're stuck waiting, so a setting would have been the most ideal but that probably doesn't exist.  

I haven't really worked much with the strand based hair but I've pretty much stuck with the old hair after a few tests.  I just haven't seen good results from the simulation and setting up the simulation in the first place in large complicated scenes seems more complicated than it's worth.  It usually faster and better looking for me to using an existing hair morph and then sculpt on it in zbrush to get exactly what I want.  

For this specific issue though, all the fibermesh products i'm using are for short male hair, and thats really the only method that gets a realistic look and density that i've seen.  I believe strand base hair is primarily intended for long flowing hair, since theres no reason to dforce short hair.  

• SelekSelek Posts: 70

Thanks for your reply.  I wish I could be more help with your original question.  I'm hoping someone else weighs in, because I have the same issue.  And yes, I'm also inclined to stick with ZBrush for making hair.  It's easier, faster, and more stable.

I'm just now experimenting with adding dForce to my hair, which is long female hair.  Lots of fun!

I'm curious -- is it possible to use ZRemesher to reduce your hair poly count?  Or does it not work with Fibermesh?  I haven't tried it myself. 

I can see why your count gets into the millions.  The average human head has 100,000 hairs, and even if each hair has just ten polys, we're at a million right there.  Still, I get acceptable results in ZBrush with 40,000-100,000 polys, but then I'm still new to this.  

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

If the hairs are growing out of a haircap, you could try unparenting the haircap. Not entirely sure about dforce hairs, I know that works with regular fiber mesh hairs though.