Using 2 video cards with Daz3d

HI all!  I currently have a 1080ti on a PC that has been a great workhorse for me the last few years and just recently was able to purchase a used Titan RTX from a friend selling all her gear off to travel, woohoo!

I remember when I first started with Daz several years ago that having 2 cards (non-SLI) didn't use the sum of all the video memory of both cards....so having 2 8gb cards would not equal having 16 gb of memory......is this still the case with v. 4.12?   :)     This is the first time I will ever have access to 2 nice video cards and if anyone has similar experience, what tips would you recommend for my Daz setup/configurations/settings, etc. to fully take advantage of this lucky windfall?  (Haven't received the card yet but just wanted to pre-prep everything!)

Thank you much in advance for any assistance!!

Cheers!

Comments

• Dim ReaperDim Reaper Posts: 687

Easiest setup would be to just add the new card in a lost that leaves as might of a gap between the two as possible for air flow.  You may need to update drivers.  After that, just enable the card for rendering in DS (Render Settings > Advanced).

In terms of memory, they run in parallel so as you said, you don't get a combined memory.  However, most scenes will render on both cards.  If the scene is too big for the VRAM on one card, it will drop out and the other will continue.

It would be a good idea to check that you have a large enough power supply to run the two cards - I imagine that something like a 750W would be too low.

• vukiolvukiol Posts: 66

just to share my experience,

win 10 pro ryzen 7 with 750w

i have a 1070 and a 2060 s, worked for 3 weeks with 431 drivers(not sli or nvlink) then started to drop to cpu, atm im not able to use 2 cards, so i have switched to 442 gaming drivers and disabled the 1070 that i use as monitor gpu or for others sw with gpu acceleration

it looks its not that common but it can happen

• tikkatikka Posts: 3

Thank you for your tips Dim Reaper & Vukiol!!